Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitch retrofit
Orbit can flash ECUs but not all the ECUs are tested and validated.  The hard part finding the correct SBL and Data and Exe vbf files.   Drop an email to support maybe they can help you. 

But if they cannot you still have a solution. 
Here is the installation instructions for XC60 T5.  The SW part number you need is 30644823 and it's around $40. If you are living in US, you can get VIDA subscription and install the software yourself.  It should detect and give you correct software in the HW changes TAB.  
If you are not living in US, just visit the VOLVO service, they should be able install the software since it is an optional official accessory. 
Just remember to revert back to original settings before either of the two options above.  If you do the official way you do not need to disconnect the ECU every time you visit the service.  If you don't disconnect the module and just revert back the changes to original,  you might ran into issue (blocking the car) with the Volvo service depending on the VOLVO policies in the country you are living in because VIDA will report the new module you installed.
(04-22-2024, 12:02 AM)Dougray Wrote: For anyone else who might be planning to DIY retrofit an electric drop down tow hitch, I have just done this, but with a brand new TRM module from Volvo because I could not find one used. It will not work, despite updating the profile and changing the relevant config options in Orbit. The tow hitch button does not light up and so the hitch cannot be deployed. When the car is just started a fault message stating trailer system service required (or something to that effect) briefly shows on the dash, then disappears. It has been several days and has not started working. I can read a few details like serial no. from the TRM ECU in orbit, but most report an error.
It looks like a new module needs some kind of software installed before it can be used at all. Whereas used modules must already have this, and so do not have the same issue. I am hoping there might be a file available that could be flashed to my trm module with Orbit, can anyone help with this?
Thanks

Send me an email at support! I will get you what you need for software and you can get the hitch working.
(04-22-2024, 07:32 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Orbit can flash ECUs but not all the ECUs are tested and validated.  The hard part finding the correct SBL and Data and Exe vbf files.   Drop an email to support maybe they can help you. 

Here is the installation instructions for XC60 T5.  The SW part number you need is 30644823 and it's around $40. If you are living in US, you can get VIDA subscription and install the software yourself.  It should detect and give you correct software in the HW changes TAB.  
If you are not living in US, just visit the VOLVO service, they should be able install the software since it is an optional official accessory. 
Just remember to revert back to original settings before either of the two options above.  If you do the official way you do not need to disconnect the ECU every time you visit the service.  If you don't disconnect the module and just revert back the changes to original,  you might ran into issue (blocking the car) with the Volvo service depending on the VOLVO policies in the country you are living in because VIDA will report the new module you installed.
Once the module is activated (on any car) that should not be an issue.
My car has a used module (so initiated on a different car) and I revert to OEM at dealer visit (hitch stops working but I do not have any of the errors mentioned here). They didn't say anything (yet).

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
The TRM is a funny one...maybe it's not on all the cars like this, I don't know...but I've seen once it's loaded with software, when you disable it via config (no traler hitch config) it stops responding to diagnostics. Which is perfect for our use, as it then is not found by VIDA so doesn't cause any compatibility problems after the car is readout by VIDA, so Total Upgrades not a problem with the TRM installed.
(04-23-2024, 02:29 AM)Power6 Wrote: The TRM is a funny one...maybe it's not on all the cars like this, I don't know...but I've seen once it's loaded with software, when you disable it via config (no traler hitch config) it stops responding to diagnostics. Which is perfect for our use, as it then is not found by VIDA so doesn't cause any compatibility problems after the car is readout by VIDA, so Total Upgrades not a problem with the TRM installed.

Do not know whether it was the only case or it is with other cars as well, but recently I had very strange situation with XC40 2019, former - US car, with removed trailer module with OrBit - the high-mounted stop lamp always lit with half power, even the car was locked, in deep sleeping etc... We had long "dance with drums around the fireplace Smile" and found the problem - TRM module has been left in the car connected, but with disconnected wiring of the hitch. After connecting the hitch or disconnecting TRM from the car, the problem with high-mounted STOP lamp disappeared...
(04-22-2024, 09:42 PM)Power6 Wrote: [quote pid="3577" dateline="1713744130"]
Send me an email at support! I will get you what you need for software and you can get the hitch working.

[/quote]

Once again, thanks for your help, always very much appreciated. I sent a follow-up email about this on the end of our thread of emails where we were discussing possible solutions for flashing my non-original VCM module. If you can give a brief explanation as to the process for loading the software to the TRM module to get it working that would be tremendously helpful.
18/19 XC60 T5 R-Line Pro
Enabled with Orbit: ACC/PA/Corner Speed Assist, Smartphone Integration, Start Stop Memory
(04-23-2024, 02:29 AM)Power6 Wrote: The TRM is a funny one...maybe it's not on all the cars like this, I don't know...but I've seen once it's loaded with software, when you disable it via config (no traler hitch config) it stops responding to diagnostics. Which is perfect for our use, as it then is not found by VIDA so doesn't cause any compatibility problems after the car is readout by VIDA, so Total Upgrades not a problem with the TRM installed.

I do not have Hitch on my s60 but Indeed TRM might be funny one. 
My reasoning is based on the heated and cooled rear seats.  My S60 did not have it from factory. I retrofitted s90 heated and cooled rear seats and did all the wiring.  Before enabling the rear heated and cooled seat, I checked the DTCs, and the CCM gave me 2 errors complaining about the added 2 rear seat modules mismatching the configuration (non heated and cooled). As soon as I enabled them, the DTCs were cleared.
(04-22-2024, 07:32 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Orbit can flash ECUs but not all the ECUs are tested and validated.  The hard part finding the correct SBL and Data and Exe vbf files.   Drop an email to support maybe they can help you. 

Hi IMAY, the TRM is one of the modules which has been tested and can be flashed using Orbit. I'm not in the US, so can't pay for VIDA access (and would prefer not to anyway). 
I must extend my thanks to Power6 for the assistance when contacting support. My new module is now flashed with the correct software via the Orbit ECU tools and is working perfectly with the configuration settings enabled. It was a very simple process. Very impressed by the support for Orbit, it's an excellent tool! 
Having paid £80 for a used, genuine retractable towbar, button and mount through a contact who works at a Volvo dealership and another £110 for the module, plus £50 for him to install (I could have done it, but he took 30-40 min and would prob take me a few hours), I'm absolutely delighted!
Incidentally if you already have the double button for seat release or air suspension, you can cannibalise a single towbar button and fit it into the blank space of your original. It was easier to find a used single towbar button for me.
18/19 XC60 T5 R-Line Pro
Enabled with Orbit: ACC/PA/Corner Speed Assist, Smartphone Integration, Start Stop Memory
Hi
Yesterday I retrofit used hitch with new butons, 40A and 25A fuse and new module on my 2018 V90. It was simple plug and play instalation.
I waited aprox 24 hours and hitch button and hitch release is not workin.
Do I need to buy orbit SW to enable it or will it start working by itself like some others mentioned?
Maybe this is not important but I have rear heated seats original installed.
I dont have PIN..
You need OrBit

1- to flash the module if it was not a used module already flashed
2- to enable the towing setting in the car

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk