Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitch retrofit
So I swapped a used module.

Plug and play nothing works. Next step is to check orbit config and hope the module can be used on another car.

I'll continue this thread once I have updates.
[Image: 542f08cbbc503fec369ca6e3f57ced02.jpg][Image: ce191fcf117f7855f8389b83fe270998.jpg]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
A true pioneer! Great work, looking forward to updates on this. Might DIY myself a bike carrier on my XC90! Smile
Well not so good results.

I do get the towbar line, but the actual module appears not to be working. My button is not illuminated and the ball doesn't drop down.

I am thinking it's because the module has been matched to another car before. This weekend I am swapping my WAM for a used one so I'll see if that one also doesn't work it means you cannot install used modules..

I will need @Power6 to develop a routine to match a module to the carWink

Otherwise I might try to get my dealer to match it and install the software officially [Image: b12beb30aa500aee62abf0a2f0eb10dd.jpg][Image: 71b77ef0058b17eb9fef5d8534481c6c.jpg]

Hey cool! What model do you have? Is it one officially support by Volvo for the tow hitch, or no?

I explained more in the other thread, but the used module does not likely have to be matched to the car. The problem probably lies elsewhere, if we can figure it out. There could be a software that needs to be loaded, say if it differed per model and the used TRM came out of a different model than yours. I think that's not likely but just some starting things to think about to check on.

Now that you have installed a new module, run the "Update profile" in OrBit, that will add the TRM module to the car profile. It will then show up in the ECU list on the "ECU Tools" tab, and you can start browsing the "Read data by identifier" for the TRM and see what data you can read from the module that might give a clue why it's not working. 

What config item(s) did you change? I can do a little research to see if there is anything special needed for this.
Soo I was wrong!!!

Not touched the car and the next day everything works!!!!

So that means my used module worked!

And tomorrow I am trying my WAM and see if that will work.

[Image: 8e56d0a3688480445d7fbf2fd6526861.jpg]
[Image: 42be56bfa73a652c0697aa276381f985.jpg]

Ahhh I had a feeling it was just a config change...then disappointed it didn't work for you at first. And now, that is great news!!
(05-09-2023, 11:19 PM)BeachBoy Wrote: So I swapped a used module.

Plug and play nothing works. Next step is to check orbit config and hope the module can be used on another car.

I'll continue this thread once I have updates.
[Image: 542f08cbbc503fec369ca6e3f57ced02.jpg][Image: ce191fcf117f7855f8389b83fe270998.jpg]

Hi Beachboy, I am planning to fit the same drop down tow bar to my xc60. Would you happen to have a list of part numbers required for the retrofit? Many thanks ?
(11-11-2023, 10:06 PM)Dougray Wrote: Hi Beachboy, I am planning to fit the same drop down tow bar to my xc60. Would you happen to have a list of part numbers required for the retrofit? Many thanks ?

All you need Can be found here https://accessories.volvocars.com/sv-se/...20?lang=en
I've herd from Volvo about a bug affeccting "early" TRM modules. Symtoms include non-functtioning tow hitch and no light on the button. Volvo issued a bulletin recommmending a specific procedure to adddress this issue: 
Turn the igniition to position 

Disconnect power to the TRM via the TRM conector. Reconect power and observe if the tow hitch button flashes. 

The tow hitch button shuld flash when TRM is reconected. 

Then they are suposed to upddate TRM softwere. 

It seems like you encountered this bug as well, Beach Boy.
For anyone else who might be planning to DIY retrofit an electric drop down tow hitch, I have just done this, but with a brand new TRM module from Volvo because I could not find one used. It will not work, despite updating the profile and changing the relevant config options in Orbit. The tow hitch button does not light up and so the hitch cannot be deployed. When the car is just started a fault message stating trailer system service required (or something to that effect) briefly shows on the dash, then disappears. It has been several days and has not started working. I can read a few details like serial no. from the TRM ECU in orbit, but most report an error.
It looks like a new module needs some kind of software installed before it can be used at all. Whereas used modules must already have this, and so do not have the same issue. I am hoping there might be a file available that could be flashed to my trm module with Orbit, can anyone help with this?
Thanks
18/19 XC60 T5 R-Line Pro
Enabled with Orbit: ACC/PA/Corner Speed Assist, Smartphone Integration, Start Stop Memory