Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
R-Design steering Wheel
What is the model of your car and if you send a picture of your gear shifter and the connector. Have you checked the DTCs ? 
If you enable the paddles without the wiring, you get DTCs.
Enclosed the wiring diagram

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-23-2024, 06:25 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: What is the model of your car and if you send a picture of your gear shifter and the connector. Have you checked the DTCs ? 
If you enable the paddles without the wiring, you get DTCs.
Enclosed the wiring diagram

My model is a 2018 s90 t5. I do not have shift-by-wire. The connectors look exactly the same as GRG's pictures except i do not have the three wires i mentioned before. As for the DTC's i get something like "left and right signal circuits open". I've tried wiring the swm to the gsm, but not sure if maybe i'm just not pushing the wires in far enough to make a connection.
The errors you are getting are normal because you have enabled the paddles without the wiring. TCM (transmission control unit) checks the paddles (circuit) is open, that's why you are getting those DTC. 

If you look at the diagram, you will see that there is  a wiring harness (94/435) in the middle between the SWM and Gear shifter controller.  Some models are missing that three wires.  However, models like mine 2019 S60 T5 although we have middle harness with the tree wires connected to the gear shifter, we do not have three wires from the SWM side to that middle harness. 

So,  most likely if you connect the three wires from the SWM to the gear shifter connector, it should work.
(02-25-2024, 11:16 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: The errors you are getting are normal because you have enabled the paddles without the wiring. TCM (transmission control unit) checks the paddles (circuit) is open, that's why you are getting those DTC. 

If you look at the diagram, you will see that there is  a wiring harness (94/435) in the middle between the SWM and Gear shifter controller.  Some models are missing that three wires.  However, models like mine 2019 S60 T5 although we have middle harness with the tree wires connected to the gear shifter, we do not have three wires from the SWM side to that middle harness. 

So,  most likely if you connect the three wires from the SWM to the gear shifter connector, it should work.

That makes sense. Thank you for the insight. Very much appreciated!
I just install paddles on my heated steering wheel
 In my case (2019 V60), the harness was already there from SWM to GSM
2019 Volvo V60
My S60 2019 US model has the green connector and the three wires on the gear shifter which then goes to the main center console connector. 
The Center console is connected to the main dashboard harness. That Harness did not have the three wires from the SWM to the center console harness connector. 

I had to rewire the SWM to the Gear switch green connector to make them work. 
Again with VOLVO saving money for the tree wires. I really don't get this logic. If the goal is saving money, why have the wires on one part (center console) and  don't have the other hand. 

Maybe it's the US cars only I don't know.
Swapped mine. Love it.

Now need to find a way to replace r design by blue polestar

[Image: f4e246a79a1e8e8f9bb7c4427aa54f2e.jpg]

[Image: 67a1be208b4e051374d6a9f94cce8c2c.jpg]

[Image: 5f7af044abd9725002f14af5ecd08007.jpg]

Tadam
[Image: 21e763cac6428118e65e3b477dfd8285.jpg]

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Changed my heated R-design SW with a new one with heat and paddles. Didn't expect the paddles to work right after the retrofit but they looked cool, anyway, the work shop wasn't shure about the software and if could be added. 

Been driving the car for one year and now with OrBit I made it work without any extra wires. HAPPY!!!

XC60 MY18