Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
R-Design steering Wheel
I found a good used R-Design heated steering wheel for sale. I already have the heated one. I just want to have the shifting pedals which only R-Design has. 
Has anyone tried to retrofit R-Design steering wheel gear shifting pedals and enable those via Orbit?
(03-08-2023, 10:43 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I found a good used R-Design heated steering wheel for sale. I already have the heated one. I just want to have the shifting pedals which only R-Design has. 
Has anyone tried to retrofit R-Design steering wheel gear shifting pedals and enable those via Orbit?
My friend just did it last week on his brand new V60

I am planning to do the same when I find a steering wheel not too expensive... For now they are all over $400USD on eBay

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Thank you. 
Yes, you are right.  But if you are looking for non-heated ones 39834466,  check out ebay.co.uk and send message to seller. They sometimes do ship to US although on the listing it says "may not ship to..." and prices are well below $400. 
For example, I am going to add alarm internal sensors. It's (sensor only) around $160 in US. I found one with the whole console (buttons and lights) on UK ebay just for $27 includes shipping. Check this out.  it's like a joke.
Actually my friend bought the steering wheel from eBay UK also

32288768 is the part for heated/paddles or the one before (sup perceded) is 32227373

32288768 is also the same but I think perforated.
Yeah I did it. Just plug&code&play. No wires needed in my case, 2022 V60.

I got 32288768 which is heated, paddles, R logo, charcoal(black), white stich, non-perforated leather.

32288769 seems to be the same, but perforated leather
Hi, Just installed a new R-Design steering wheel with paddles and coded with orbit but unfortunately it didn't made the trick and the paddles don't work
I have a 2020 s60 r-design, any suggestion? what should i check? maybe some extra wires?

Thanks
(04-07-2023, 09:34 PM)GRG Wrote: Hi, Just installed a new R-Design steering wheel with paddles and coded with orbit but unfortunately it didn't made the trick and the paddles don't work
I have a 2020 s60 r-design, any suggestion? what should i check? maybe some extra wires?

Thanks
Yes check that you have the wires.

There is a thread in the S/V60 section of swedespeed where a user has detailed info on what's needed

Check this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/threads/pa...it.651492/

(04-07-2023, 09:36 PM)BeachBoy Wrote:
(04-07-2023, 09:34 PM)GRG Wrote: Hi, Just installed a new R-Design steering wheel with paddles and coded with orbit but unfortunately it didn't made the trick and the paddles don't work

Thanks
Yes check that you have the wires.

There is a thread in the S/V60 section of swedespeed where a user has detailed info on what's needed

Check this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/threads/pa...it.651492/

Thanks, i have seen that one user had to add 3 extra wires but he didn't specify how to check if i already have them or not.
Do you have any other detail?
Hmmm this is interesting. Just from what I know...the latest cars may be missing wires that allow the shift paddles to work. Since they have been dropped for a while, it seem eventually Volvo may have dropped those from the harness as they would be essentially unused wires anyways. I dealt with this recently for a user with a 2023.

But a 2020 S60 I would expect everything to be there, that was a car built right as they dropped the paddles!

GRG, what is the condition once you have the paddles enabled, I know they don't function, but are there any trouble codes (DTCs)? Is this an ICE or a PHEV (T8)? From what I have seen a car without the wiring needed, would have codes set something like "left shift paddle signal not detected" and similar for the right paddle as well when the config for the shift paddles (041 GEAR SHIFT PADDLES) is enabled. If you want to contact me at support email we could work through it, and then we can report back here what the findings are for others.
Yep was a big "surprise" to me since even some 2022 user had a plug and play expirience with all the wires neded already in place.
My car is a 2020 r-design T4 so i was pretty much sure that would have been that simple.
What i know at the moment is that the paddles behave correctly since i tested them with a multimeter before the swap (so one possible problem is solved) but they don't function once coded, after that I haven't checked the DTCs.
This evening i'm going to have some free time to sort the situation and i'll give you a better feedback.
Thanks for the interest!