Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to troubleshoot OrBit errors when when writing config or flashing
When you write config to the car, or otherwise flash a module with software using OrBit, it may fail and you will see some errors in the screen console. Ideally all errors could be eliminated by bug fixes! But some issues depend on the computer or other things outside of what OrBit can control. Here are some typical errors and fixes for troubleshooting:

If flash fails and you see any of the following:
Waiting for ECUs and returning error, gateway not accepting the connection
Gateway connection refused after XX sec, exiting program routine...
Gateway (VCM/TCAM) did not return in time from prog mode boot request!

The typical reason for this failure is related to the local computer, specifically certain network cards and drivers. For 99.9% of Windows computer use, these network cards cause no problems. However, programming/flashing ECUs in a car is a very time sensitive process that cannot be delayed. If the PC does not reconnect the network quickly when the car enters programming mode, OrBit cannot reach the car, the gateway will time out, and programming mode is lost and all ECUs reset back to normal and flashing will fail. Usually this can be resolved by tweaking some of the driver settings in Windows. The cuplrit is usually "power saving" related features of the network card. Details on what to do are below

The secondary cause sometimes is the gateway in the car: The VCM in a Sensus car, TCAM in an Android based Volvo. Restarting the gateway ECU will sometimes be the solution.

(Note: I want to clarify since it seems people mention this often when flash fails, it doesn't matter which config settings you are changing. That has no effect on the flashing process, whether it is successful or fails. OrBit is just flashing some data, it does not matter what the contents of the data are, it either works or it doesn't!)

If you have this problem, first try resetting the gateway:
  • In OrBit, connect to the car
  • Switch to the ECU Tools tab
  • Change the Active ECU dropdown to VCM or TCAM as appropriate
  • Click the "Reset ECU" button

• There is no harm in resetting an ECU, it is equivalent to rebooting your PC
  • Wait for OrBit to reconnect after resetting the gateway ECU
  • Try write config/flash again and see if it succeeds

If you still have the same errors flashing, check network card driver power settings in Windows:
  • Open "Device Manager" in Windows
  • Expand the "Network adapters" node
  • Find the wired adapter, this should have "ethernet" in the name
  • Right click the adpater and choose "properties"

• NOTE: From here you must use your own judgement, below is the example of the network driver on MY computer, different network cards and driver versions will be different! I can't possibly cover them all, so use the below as a general guide to adjust network card power settings. 
  • Switch to the advanced tab
  • In the advanced tab there is a list of "features" on the left and the "setting value" on the right...hmmm kind of like OrBit config ;-)
  • What you want to do, is look through the list of features and find the "power saving" type settings, and disable them, this is usually cause of problems
  • For my netwok card shown, there are 4 related settings I can find: Energy Efficient Ethernet, Link Speed Battery Saver, System Idle Power Saver, and Ultra Low Power Mode. 
  • Change the dropdown for each to "OFF" or "Disabled" for each of the related settings you can find for the driver of your network card.
  • When done, click "OK" and close Device Manager.
  • Try to write config or fash again with OrBit and see if it is successful

If flashing still fails, it is probably worth rebooting the computer, check for driver updates from the computer vendor or network card manufacturer. Then contact support email and I will take a closer look at your issue!