Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
V90/XC90/S90 HK AUD .VBF Files
Does anybody have or know where I can get the .vbf file for the HK AUD in a V90, XC90, or S90?

I'm converting my 2018 V90CC HP sound system to HK and I picked up an HK AUD from an XC60. The XC60 AUD works fine in my V90 but I lose the second channel going to rear doors for the tweeter and mid-range in parallel. Instead, since the XC60's do not have a space for the mid-range on the rear doors, the XC60 HK AUD only has one channel going there, for the woofer and tweeter in parallel with no mid-range.

I would like to use OrBit to flash the proper config to the AUD for the 90 series, if possible. Thanks!
DO NOT DO IT! Your AUD will turn into brick! 
I tried the opposite way! My first AUD (B&W) came from S90 and I tried to load B&W S60 software on it to make my tweeters work.  
At the end, AUD does not even load and turned into brick. Now I am trying to find s90 software to rescue it. 

Although the the part numbers are all the same, most likely the AUD flash procedure requires config file to over write output configuration of the AUD similar to HCM (headlight controller). At the end of the day flashed software must match to the stored output configuration of the AUD. 

You have two options. 
1) Find an another AUD from any 90 series.
2) You need to connect your MIDs and Tweeters in parallel to the woofer.
If you're looking to upgrade your audio option 1 is the only real one. Parallels are going to be at the detriment of audio quality..
(05-03-2024, 10:50 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: DO NOT DO IT! Your AUD will turn into brick! 
I tried the opposite way! My first AUD (B&W) came from S90 and I tried to load B&W S60 software on it to make my tweeters work.  
At the end, AUD does not even load and turned into brick. Now I am trying to find s90 software to rescue it. 

Although the the part numbers are all the same, most likely the AUD flash procedure requires config file to over write output configuration of the AUD similar to HCM (headlight controller). At the end of the day flashed software must match to the stored output configuration of the AUD. 

You have two options. 
1) Find an another AUD from any 90 series.
2) You need to connect your MIDs and Tweeters in parallel to the woofer.

Interesting. So you found the .vbf file for a 60 series and flashed it to the 90 series AUD?

I'm not that familiar with HCM / headlight swapping. But I thought if you were installing headlights from a different car you could flash to change the configuration?
Interesting. So you found the .vbf file for a 60 series and flashed it to the 90 series AUD?  >>> The VBF files I have are for (B&W) S/V/XC 60 series and I flashed a 90 series AUD nothing knowing the outcome.  I wanted to combine the 2 rear door output channels into 1 full range. It went terribly wrong and ended up buying another B&W AUD from 90 series and rewiring the mid+high channels.  Since I had the full set from 90 series, I also added MID range speakers to the rear doors of my S60.      

I'm not that familiar with HCM / headlight swapping. But I thought if you were installing headlights from a different car you could flash to change the configuration?" >>>> Yes, I retrofitted Full led bending headlights following this thread.  

" Parallels are going to be at the detriment of audio quality.." >>> Well, there is no doubt that if the Audio channel is filtered (high + MID and Low) on the AUD (amplifier) and out put on two separate channel is better than 1 full range channel.  But, it depends on the speakers and the filters (capacitators) on the speakers connected in parallel on a full range output channel. However, volvo's HK MID speakers unlike B&W MID speakers; do not have filters (capacitators) on them.  So, yes in this case the audio quality on the MID channels will be low if they are connected in parallel. 

@spacemanspiff So, if you decide to go with option 2, add a capacitator to your MIDs on the rear doors. 

(05-05-2024, 08:17 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Interesting. So you found the .vbf file for a 60 series and flashed it to the 90 series AUD?  >>> The VBF files I have are for (B&W) S/V/XC 60 series and I flashed a 90 series AUD nothing knowing the outcome.  I wanted to combine the 2 rear door output channels into 1 full range. It went terribly wrong and ended up buying another B&W AUD from 90 series and rewiring the mid+high channels.  Since I had the full set from 90 series, I also added MID range speakers to the rear doors of my S60.      

I'm not that familiar with HCM / headlight swapping. But I thought if you were installing headlights from a different car you could flash to change the configuration?" >>>> Yes, I retrofitted Full led bending headlights following this thread.  

" Parallels are going to be at the detriment of audio quality.." >>> Well, there is no doubt that if the Audio channel is filtered (high + MID and Low) on the AUD (amplifier) and out put on two separate channel is better than 1 full range channel.  But, it depends on the speakers and the filters (capacitators) on the speakers connected in parallel on a full range output channel. However, volvo's HK MID speakers unlike B&W MID speakers; do not have filters (capacitators) on them.  So, yes in this case the audio quality on the MID channels will be low if they are connected in parallel. 

@spacemanspiff So, if you decide to go with option 2, add a capacitator to your MIDs on the rear doors. 

Yeah, I would like to avoid bricking the AUD if at all possible, haha. Sorry that happened!

Did something go wrong during the flashing process? Were you using Oribt?

I thought I had read that @Power6 had done it successfully?

If I can't get the 90 series configuration loaded onto the donor 60 series AUD, I will probably just leave the rear door mid's out and keep it with the tweeter and woofer in parallel as originally intended. I never sit in the back seat anyway!
" Did something go wrong during the flashing process? Were you using Oribt?"  At first it wouldn't flash due to some timeout. Then with the help from @Power6 that issue was resolved and according to logs from Orbit and the wireshark network dump, AUD did downloaded software but it would not run. When I check the F12E - ECU Software Part Numbers, it would return empty as if it's actually blank. 

My second AUD (B&W) that I got from s90 gives me below. 
DID Result for AUD

F12E - ECU Software Part Numbers

Total number of ECU Software Part Numbers:

SWLM:
31456884 AC 

SWP1_Local Configuration Parameters:
31489579 AB 

Raw hex data:

DID Result for AUD

F120 - Application Diagnostic Database Part Number

Application Diagnostic Database Part Number:
31456247 AA 

"I thought I had read that @Power6 had done it successfully?"  Yes, he did but as far as I know, his used B&W AUD came from XC60 and he installed S60 B&W software on that used XC60 AUD.  Both S60 and XC60 has the same audio output configuration.  To be very clear, he warned me about the mismatch we both did not know the outcome and I took the chance; and now we know so that we can warn folks not to do this! 

@Power, I noticed some AUD commands for configuration in the ECU tools tab, do you think we can send a command to AUD ECU to switch the output channels? Similar one for disabling or enabling  the ACTIVE NOISE CONTROL.
Well this is discouraging.  I feel like it must be possible since if I wanted to buy a new HK/K504 Amplifier from Volvo for my 2018 V90CC the appropriate AUD is PN 36003062 / HW 31456942. And these numbers are the exact same on HK/K504 AUD I got from a donor 2019 XC60. If the PN/HW numbers are the same it must be software that determines which channels/pins are active on the AUD.
No worries spacemanspiff, I don't think we are dealing with the same situation here. As you have found, it looks like on the H/K system amps, the hardware is shared between the 60 and 90 series. Until you brought it up, I had never looked into these.

IMAY2023, in the case of the B&W we know the hardware is different between 90-series and 60-series on the "Gen 1" B&W. So that could be a problem, if the HW does not use the same, or similar, software.

The "Gen 2" B&W looks like it is using shared HW between the 60 and 90 series. So that one should be a matter of software as well.

I'll work with you spacemanspiff, and we will see if it works.
(05-07-2024, 12:13 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: " Did something go wrong during the flashing process? Were you using Oribt?"  At first it wouldn't flash due to some timeout. Then with the help from @Power6 that issue was resolved and according to logs from Orbit and the wireshark network dump, AUD did downloaded software but it would not run. When I check the F12E - ECU Software Part Numbers, it would return empty as if it's actually blank. 

My second AUD (B&W) that I got from s90 gives me below. 
DID Result for AUD

F12E - ECU Software Part Numbers

Total number of ECU Software Part Numbers:

SWLM:
31456884 AC 

SWP1_Local Configuration Parameters:
31489579 AB 

Raw hex data:

DID Result for AUD

F120 - Application Diagnostic Database Part Number

Application Diagnostic Database Part Number:
31456247 AA 

"I thought I had read that @Power6 had done it successfully?"  Yes, he did but as far as I know, his used B&W AUD came from XC60 and he installed S60 B&W software on that used XC60 AUD.  Both S60 and XC60 has the same audio output configuration.  To be very clear, he warned me about the mismatch we both did not know the outcome and I took the chance; and now we know so that we can warn folks not to do this! 

@Power, I noticed some AUD commands for configuration in the ECU tools tab, do you think we can send a command to AUD ECU to switch the output channels? Similar one for disabling or enabling  the ACTIVE NOISE CONTROL.

What I would expect, on the AUD that IS using the same hardware between 60/90 series, is the "SWLM" part probably doesn't change, but the SWP1 local config parameters would change. Like same application software, but different parameters. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect it's similar to the HCMs, the same HCM application software is used for all the models, but the local parameters change for XC60, XC90, S/V60 etc.

FYI I did load the same software on to the AUD and it was the "compatible" hardware, XC60 B&W AUD in an S60. I was under the impression at one time, that the AUD might have different software for each model, but it does not, at least in that case, B&W AUD software for an XC60 was the same as an S/V60. Reloading with VIDA confirmed it is the same. Whatever sound profile changes there are for each model, happens elsewhere, I beleive the DSP software loaded to the IHU contain this, and of course car config could be used as well to adjust settings within any unified software that is used on multiple models.

Any "DIDs" that you see within the available parameters to read, OrBit can try to write them. There is no guarantee it works, and it's maybe a very small risk if the ECU lets you write a value that would cause a problem, but that's one way to find interesting things... only for the advanced user like yourself IMAY2023 ;-) if you look at the ANC OFF process, you can see the command to send, is 2E (write a DID) + XXXX(the DID) + (the data to write). I discovered the ANC OFF simply by guessing from the data read "0300" that possbly "0000" value is to disable, and it turned out to be the case. If you see more complicated values, it may not be possible to try to guess or to run through all possible combinations. But you can certainly try some things, if you want to...