Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request: Polestar 2 headlight level calibration
Not getting any errors but it still does not move is indeed strange. It sounds like a software bug for VOLVO. Because I've seen a DTC for my right headlight on alignment or a physical issue. I ignored it since both headlights are working properly. But my car is 2019 s60 not polestar like yours.  
You mentioned  that this has started to happen after changing it adaptive high beam.  Maybe you have already tried but maybe start fresh. 
Put the settings to factory defaults. 
Force reset the HCMs 
Lock the car for 30 min or disconnect the negative port for 30 min. 
then Try again. 

Another question, Have you changed your headlight type too? Maybe putting it something else like ROW and enable the adaptive first. Drive the car and then put it back to original would reset it.
(03-26-2024, 03:01 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Not getting any errors but it still does not move is indeed strange. It sounds like a software bug for VOLVO. Because I've seen a DTC for my right headlight on alignment or a physical issue. I ignored it since both headlights are working properly. But my car is 2019 s60 not polestar like yours.  
You mentioned  that this has started to happen after changing it adaptive high beam.  Maybe you have already tried but maybe start fresh. 
Put the settings to factory defaults. 
Force reset the HCMs 
Lock the car for 30 min or disconnect the negative port for 30 min. 
then Try again. 

Another question, Have you changed your headlight type too? Maybe putting it something else like ROW and enable the adaptive first. Drive the car and then put it back to original would reset it.

I have also tried these steps. Multiple configuration changes to different values with multiple restore to original config attempts and generally a 1-3hr negative terminal disconnect after each try. 

I used to work for an OEM and had to deal with these types of things all the time so i feel like I've tried most of the obvious things but yeah, racking my brain now.
Also just to clarify, this happened after: 
  1. returning to original configurations for all systems
  2. updating to the latest vehicle software (2.14.1 -> 2.14.3)

I'm wondering if something happened when returning to the original configuration (maybe the HCML didn't correctly change) and then the update happened causing a strange software anomaly from left to right? 

I'm also very hesitant to take it into service as I think it would be extremely obvious that configs changed a lot through my troubleshooting.
Well, It seems you've tried almost everything and I guess you have two options in front of you. But before any of those below, if you haven't checked and compared the software versions of each HCM, that would be good start point. If the software versions are different, that might explain the odd behavior.  
1) You can diagnose yourself by using a bidirectional diagnostic tool or VIDA.  VIDA has diagnostic sequences and user friendly commands built in for ECUs. In addition, you           can do total upgrade yourself or reload the HCMs.  Of course you will need to restore to defaults before connecting the VIDA.
     Maybe Orbit already has all the relevant ECU commands for testing, I don't know.     
2) Restore to defaults and take it to dealer.
(03-26-2024, 05:45 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Well, It seems you've tried almost everything and I guess you have two options in front of you. But before any of those below, if you haven't checked and compared the software versions of each HCM, that would be good start point. If the software versions are different, that might explain the odd behavior.  
1) You can diagnose yourself by using a bidirectional diagnostic tool or VIDA.  VIDA has diagnostic sequences and user friendly commands built in for ECUs. In addition, you           can do total upgrade yourself or reload the HCMs.  Of course you will need to restore to defaults before connecting the VIDA.
     Maybe Orbit already has all the relevant ECU commands for testing, I don't know.     
2) Restore to defaults and take it to dealer.

Re: checking software for both HCMs, I did that and they were identical except for the last digit in each field. I had assumed that was the LH vs RH distinction (instead of a software difference) but obviously I'm not sure. It's possible they're not on the same overall software. 

I would love to continue working with @Power6 to find a solution within Orbit as I have a feeling I'm not the only one who has or will ever have this happen (even if it wasn't caused by config changes). It's possible some functionality that Vida has could be added to Orbit to resolve it. Obviously the module isn't completely bricked or I would think we'd see some failures either through diagnostic tools or on the dash.

Also, thanks so much for all of your help! Really appreciate not being on my own to figure it out Smile
The last digits should be indeed the (L&R) difference.  The reload software @power provided me for my bending headlight switch are also +1 in the last digits, looks like also dead end. 
Last think, have you tried to listen the headlights? While one of them leveling down and up and the other one is not moving? 
If you hear the sound of the motor but not moving, then you would know if there is something physically wrong with it.
(03-27-2024, 05:49 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: The last digits should be indeed the (L&R) difference.  The reload software @power provided me for my bending headlight switch are also +1 in the last digits, looks like also dead end. 
Last think, have you tried to listen the headlights? While one of them leveling down and up and the other one is not moving? 
If you hear the sound of the motor but not moving, then you would know if there is something physically wrong with it.

Yep, I can hear (and see) the right headlight "clunk" quickly at max low as it finds the limit, then it raises back up. Left does not move or make any sound whatsoever.
Well, in that case there are only two options. 
1) The controller does not send any power to motor therefore does not register any DTC due to some software / config issue. 
2) It sends the command but motor does not move for some reason and controller does not detect the fault.
Have you tried swapping the headlights over and seeing if the issue persists on the other side?

Just an idea- might not be possible, but sounds like you’re out of sensible ideas  Cool
(03-27-2024, 09:27 PM)x119 Wrote: Have you tried swapping the headlights over and seeing if the issue persists on the other side?

Just an idea- might not be possible, but sounds like you’re out of sensible ideas  Cool

I have not yet but it has crossed my mind multiple times. Mostly didn't want to risk damage if I can get it covered under warranty. 

I feel like if I could fix it with VIDA and capture the process it could be a help for print development and future users... but I'm spread quite thin lately.