Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request: Polestar 2 headlight level calibration
Hey there, is there any way to send the headlight leveling calibration command via Orbit? Ever since enabling and disabling adaptive high beam my driver's side headlight is pointing down significantly. No new errors but I can't seem to get it to self-level. I haven't hit anything and there's no DTC when set to defaults.
I just realized that leveling happens every time the car wakes up so it seems there's something wrong with the left headlight. The right one works fine. This has happened since returning to original configuration before the recent update. 

Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Note: checked the level sensor on the front left (same side as the stuck headlight) and everything seems fine.
More context, I've been checking every line item and comparing HCML and HCMR for differences. One that I noticed was 43D3 shows 0v for left and 5v for right, but not sure if this is relevant since I don't know what L/R detection voltage is.
First thing to do with HCML/HCMR is reset them with OrBit, ECU Tools tab, change the Active ECU dropdown and click the "Reset" button. It may not help but good to do, will force the HCMs to load the latest configuration, as well as there is nothing like a reboot to fix random issues. There is no calibration for headlamp level or aim, it is physically adjusted with the aiming adjusters, that is all there is as far as I know. Check codes after the reset of the HCMs, see if any have been set which might then give a clue to what the problem is.

The config in the CEM will never brick anything in another module. There are config items, the software in each module reads the broadcast config, it either accepts the values for the config items that it uses, or it does not accept them, in which case it will set a code for "invalid configuration".

No worries on the L/R detection, that is how the HCM module detects whether it is connected to a L or R headlamp hardware, one side puts voltage to a detection pin, and the other side lamp does not. You would expect them to be opposite.
(03-24-2024, 09:33 PM)Power6 Wrote: First thing to do with HCML/HCMR is reset them with OrBit, ECU Tools tab, change the Active ECU dropdown and click the "Reset" button. It may not help but good to do, will force the HCMs to load the latest configuration, as well as there is nothing like a reboot to fix random issues. There is no calibration for headlamp level or aim, it is physically adjusted with the aiming adjusters, that is all there is as far as I know. Check codes after the reset of the HCMs, see if any have been set which might then give a clue to what the problem is.

The config in the CEM will never brick anything in another module. There are config items, the software in each module reads the broadcast config, it either accepts the values for the config items that it uses, or it does not accept them, in which case it will set a code for "invalid configuration".

No worries on the L/R detection, that is how the HCM module detects whether it is connected to a L or R headlamp hardware, one side puts voltage to a detection pin, and the other side lamp does not. You would expect them to be opposite.

Resetting the HCMs was the first thing I tried Smile I didn't confirm if the reset worked correctly but the headlight did shut off during the reset. 

I tried a 12v negative terminal disconnect for 30min as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the headlight connector with the battery unplugged. 

The odd thing is that orbit doesn't (and hasn't ever) report any DTCs but my third party diagnostic tool does. Is it possible orbit isn't able to detect the failure?
Alright no more errors in HCMs or CEM showing after fuse disconnects, soft module resets, hard module resets and letting the car sleep. 

Left headlight is still not leveling, very strange.
First of all make sure your both headlights are aligned properly. (height and side).  If your left headlight is set to low, it simply does not have the required threshold to go down first and up again. 
I replaced my headlights with the used bending ones and the used ones I received were way of the alignment. They were set too low. 
You can go to a shop to align them or simply do it yourself. There are many videos on youtube. Principle is same for types. You have two screws on each headlight. The inners ones are up/ down and outer ones are for L/R.
Thanks IMAY2023! I was not aware of what causes a headlamp to not be able to complete the startup "sweep", other than some motor failure but would definitely see a code for that I would expect!

OrBit code reading will be improved, coming in next update. OrBit doesn't currently pull the codes for some statuses like "failed test" that are useful to have, it will be addressed. It's not all that relevant here to the problem, other than you are needing to use another tool to see all the DTCs that are set. The diagnostic tool does not detect failure, it simply reads the codes that a module reports. 

One other thing to consider...have you driven the car? I don't know specifically for this case, just in general when having a problems, after flashing config or other diagnostics, you can spend days trying to figure out what is "wrong" when a short drive will resolve things. Worth a try if you haven't. There are many "conditions" that will exist, but not be re-evaluated and considered "good", until the car is operated. Just in case you haven't already driven the car, that is worth a try as well. That may also bring out any relevant trouble codes as you operate the car, if there is a problem with the headlamp unit leveling (or bending if equipped) faults will be found and DTCs set as the systems operate.
(03-25-2024, 04:47 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: First of all make sure your both headlights are aligned properly. (height and side).  If your left headlight is set to low, it simply does not have the required threshold to go down first and up again. 
I replaced my headlights with the used bending ones and the used ones I received were way of the alignment. They were set too low. 
You can go to a shop to align them or simply do it yourself. There are many videos on youtube. Principle is same for types. You have two screws on each headlight. The inners ones are up/ down and outer ones are for L/R.

I'll give this a try, but nothing changed since before this happened physically so I find it hard to believe a physical adjustment is to blame. I'll play with it regardless, thanks.

(03-25-2024, 05:31 PM)Power6 Wrote: Thanks IMAY2023! I was not aware of what causes a headlamp to not be able to complete the startup "sweep", other than some motor failure but would definitely see a code for that I would expect!

OrBit code reading will be improved, coming in next update. OrBit doesn't currently pull the codes for some statuses like "failed test" that are useful to have, it will be addressed. It's not all that relevant here to the problem, other than you are needing to use another tool to see all the DTCs that are set. The diagnostic tool does not detect failure, it simply reads the codes that a module reports. 

One other thing to consider...have you driven the car? I don't know specifically for this case, just in general when having a problems, after flashing config or other diagnostics, you can spend days trying to figure out what is "wrong" when a short drive will resolve things. Worth a try if you haven't. There are many "conditions" that will exist, but not be re-evaluated and considered "good", until the car is operated. Just in case you haven't already driven the car, that is worth a try as well. That may also bring out any relevant trouble codes as you operate the car, if there is a problem with the headlamp unit leveling (or bending if equipped) faults will be found and DTCs set as the systems operate.

Yep! After every attempt I've driven it. This has been happening for about 1 week and I drive just about every day. I have also specifically been driving at night to test.

Edit, for clarification, I just got done driving 60+ miles after my report last night and the condition is the same. No HCM errors present.
Ok attempted manually adjusting the headlight. It was in the middle of the adjustment range when starting, I tried to adjust it all the way down then all the way up and it didn't change the behavior at all. Still not leveling.