Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 V90CC - Use OrBit to Add/Program a Hitch CTRL Module?
Hi OrBiters! 

I recently purchased and physically installed a "Hidden Hitch" with light control module on my 2018 V90CC so I could use a bike rack with a multi-function light bar as well as tow our kayak trailer that needs its lights operated to be compliant. It's not the electronically controlled factory hitch, it's manually operated, but the one I got does have the 2" receiver I needed vs the smaller 1-1/4" one that comes with the factory unit. Anyway, the hitch came with a Volvo control module that is supposedly "compatible" with my car (though the PN came up as the one for a P3??).  The instructions say the car needs to be "told" the control module is there to have the trailer lights work correctly and to not freak out and think I'm backing into a wall every time I throw the car in Reverse, LoL. I've looked through and "searched" the OrBit (and SwedeSpeed) forums but am not seeing if this is something I can turn on myself via the OrBit Settings list, or is it a dealer only update that needs to happen?  Anyone know, and if so what OrBit ID or IDs should I be looking at?

When researching OrBit I also came across a post that said you can use OrBit to turn on the car's "PoleStar" mode instead of its current "Dynamic" mode. Anyone know if that's true and if so what the ID or IDs are for that change?

Lastly, the following was unclear to me. Do I just need the $100/yr subscription and OrBit will allow me to retrieve the CEM PIN via the Expert Toolbox functions? Or for the 1st year do I still need the "Retrieve CEM" subscription for the Expert Toolbox function to be activated so I can get the needed CEM PIN? 

Thanks for helping me get started with OrBit!

PS: Is there a list or spreadsheet of OrBit IDs and what options are available under each ID posted somewhere?
OK, After scouring the Forums I've found the following 2 links!  I'm linking them here for both myself and any others. :-)

Hitch Retrofit: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=104
List of IDs and Options under each: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=9
You will need to pay for CEM PIN retrieval if you don't have it, or you don't have access to ViDA and the ability to use wireshark to get the necessary data. 
I paid for the CEM retrieval service and was very satisfied. Had the PIN within a few hours. I am not sure about the expert toolbox, but you will not be able to flash any configuration changes to the car without it.
18/19 XC60 T5 R-Line Pro
Enabled with Orbit: ACC/PA/Corner Speed Assist, Smartphone Integration, Start Stop Memory
Get the PIN and you don't need expert toolbox to set up the trailer module.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I'm 99% sure Orbit config change alone is not enough, you also need to make sure TRM has the correct software loaded.
(01-22-2024, 11:53 PM)richardGG24 Wrote: I'm 99% sure Orbit config change alone is not enough, you also need to make sure TRM has the correct software loaded.

Correct. When you have a new TRM module, you need to load software first using Vida. A used TRM may work, but it's a hit and miss.
(01-23-2024, 07:48 AM)Sodertalje Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 11:53 PM)richardGG24 Wrote: I'm 99% sure Orbit config change alone is not enough, you also need to make sure TRM has the correct software loaded.

Correct. When you have a new TRM module, you need to load software first using Vida. A used TRM may work, but it's a hit and miss.

I'm sure someone fitted a hitch to an xc60 or XC90 with a used module and, while it didn't seem to work right after install, it sorted itself out and started working fine after being left overnight. There's a thread on here with the details.
18/19 XC60 T5 R-Line Pro
Enabled with Orbit: ACC/PA/Corner Speed Assist, Smartphone Integration, Start Stop Memory
(01-23-2024, 10:02 PM)Dougray Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 07:48 AM)Sodertalje Wrote:

I'm sure someone fitted a hitch to an xc60 or XC90 with a used module and, while it didn't seem to work right after install, it sorted itself out and started working fine after being left overnight. There's a thread on here with the details.
IIRC I experienced the same thing when I fitted the factory hitch on my V60CC with VIDA, it didn't work immediately after the installation, had to let it sit for a while. Used TRM should work as long as the donor part is loaded with the correct software for your vehicle, that basically skips the VIDA coding part. But you might run into issues say if you try to fit a used TRM pulled out of a XC90 into a V90CC. I'm sure there is more to it, things like destination market, drivetrain type, model year and such probably matters for the software.
A number of folks have fitted the hitch with the TRM successfully.

Getting a used TRM is good, as pointed out, it will be loaded with software already.  On software versions, i.e. "Can a used TRM from XC90 work fine on a V90CC?" as far as I have found, the answer is YES. There are essentially 2 TRMs, I call them "old" and "new" TRM hardware revisions. Within those, the same software looks to be used on all cars, with the specific settings controlled by config. The same TRM and software looks to support all models and wiring configurations. 

If you find yourself with a new TRM, reach out to me via support email, I can help you out.
I installed used TRM and enabled in vida and it works #1.

Yes right after coding it was not working the first time but now even if I reset to OEM then recode it works instant.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk