Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to flash a module with software in OrBit
How to flash software with OrBit:
You can flash software to some ECUs/modules in your SPA/CMA Volvo/Polestar car with OrBit. This is a relatively lesser used and somewhat limited feature of OrBit. This is partly that most of y'all users don't care yet ;-) But also due to how Volvo works: rather than making module software readily available like some mfrs, they go out of their way to keep it locked up and safe, only accessible through their watchful eyes via VIDA ;-) But still, OrBit can do it and who knows what the future holds. Current ECUs "enabled" for flashing are: CEM, HCML, HCMR, SCL, SRS, DEM, AUD, SODL, SODR, TRM, POT. 

More ECUs are enabled as I test them and confirm flashing works reliably, or in some cases I have worked with others.. Don't ask about ECM or IHU yet, these are the most complex and secured flashing processes, and currently we don't have anything of interest to flash to them anyways, not yet...

The biggest hurdle you have is knowing what software you need and getting the software "VBF" files in the first place. This is no a guide for that, it is a guide with how to flash a module with software with OrBit if you have it. You can ask around though, you do never know who has what software files in their collection.

How to flash software to a module with OrBit:

If you are already familiar with flashing software to ECUs, some of this may be review. To flash software, you need both the SBL to boot the ECU into flashing mode, and you need the software file to flash itself. These will be in VBF format for Volvos. OrBit works with Volvo VBF format software files. OrBit only allows certain modules to be flashed based on successful testing, modules are added as they are tested to work. To flash software to a module:
  • Connect to the car
  • Switch to the  "ECU Tools" tab
  • In the ECU Flash box, use the buttons to choose the files for flashing
  • Click "load SBL" and choose the SBL software VBF
  • Click "load VBF" and choose the software VBF file you want to flash
  • You don't specify the module to flash, OrBit reads the VBF files to know which ECU it is for
  • OrBit will verify the ECU matches between the SBL and software VBF files

• OrBit verifies checksums in the VBF files, ECU match, car connected, licensed for flash etc. OrBit must also know the programming PIN of the ECU. For many ECUs OrBit already has the standard PIN loaded, for others (i.e. CEM) the unique PIN needs to be set in the car profile. if everything is good, the "Flash ECU" button is enabled.
  • Click the "Flash ECU" button, to proceed flashing the software to the car module
  • OrBit will return from the process with success, or if the flash fails, an error and reason will be given
  • OrBit only flashes a single software file at a time. When flashing multiple software files to the same module, you will need to run this process for each software to flash. You can flash a single module repeatedly, leaving the same SBL specified, choosing a new software file to flash via "Load VBF" each time.
  • When flashing software via this process, OrBit skips "post programming" process (clear codes, restart IHU etc.), to save time when flashing multiple softwares. So keep in mind you may want to clear codes, restart modules, ABS clear etc. on your own, after all software has been loaded. Also you may disable "programming checks" (check all ECUs are awake and in programming mode before every flash) as well. This is checkbox is under advanced OrBit settings on the "Experts Toolbox" tab.

Could one also update a whole car package for a P2 with this? https://www.polestar.com/us/manual/poles...reUpdates/
(If someone has previously fetched the update package with wireshark etc., debugging the OTA prozessess should help - donwload URLs are unfortunately not yet known, right?)
This is a question asked from time to time about performing software updates so I will answer generally to address all the aspects here.

The thing about "software updates"...it's a big system with a lot of moving parts within Volvo/Polestar. It involves:
  • Maintaining the software catalog of all possible module softwares
  • Maintaining the database of all modules and the versions of software releases for them
  • Maintaining the system of compatibility between software versions between various modules within a car
  • Maintaining the system of all unique security access codes (i.e. PINs) to each module within a car
  • Maintaining an automated system to assemble all the latest compatible software for a specific car based on a readout

That's a huge effort to build something like that, and to build it only by reverse engineering it from the outside...well likely far more than I can build alone in any reasonable length of time (probably not for $100/yr either lol). It's possible maybe on a somewhat limited basis, and more possible as cars age and software updates slow down, it becomes more of a job of maintaining a stable collection of software. But we have other issues like the legal implications of distributing software, and then security issues with module software that is signed code like the files for the IHU, ECM and some others, can they even be flashed.

What I have been concerned with is the technical functionality of flashing software with OrBit, the basic capability of it, which is not complete. I work toward the capability to flash all modules, first flashing the modules that are the most basic, secured only by programming PIN. I add to a list of "allowed" modules to flash in OrBit as they are tested. I will eventually look at the process of each module with signed code and what can be done there.

Flashing software will remain a function that the user needs to have the software they want to flash, which is admittedly it's own challenge to obtain for Volvos. OrBit is not a system that distributes module software for now. What I focus on is more about enabling the things that VIDA "doesn't do", such as replacing modules with used parts.

I hope that gives an idea of the situation for anyone curious ;-)
The B&W amp does have the Gothenburg Concert Hall as a preset, but there's also a Jazz Club. Is that something that can be flashed or does it also depend on certain hardware?
(10-02-2023, 11:40 AM)Sodertalje Wrote: The B&W amp does have the Gothenburg Concert Hall as a preset, but there's also a Jazz Club. Is that something that can be flashed or does it also depend on certain hardware?

When I first enabled the premium audio in Orbit without replacing the amp or the speakers, I got the Gothenburg Concert Hall  preset on IHU along with other audio settings such as more band equalizer and more control over the surround (personal stage).  The  Gothenburg Concert Hall preset and other expended settings does not operate correctly with HK AUD but still sounds little bit better because when IHU sends the command (change preset or personal stage adjustments) via MOST network to AUD, the software in the HK does not understand all the commands. 
So, the answer to your question, the  Gothenburg Concert Hall preset along with other expended settings are  not in the AUD (B&W or HK). It's in the IHU software.  
The Jazz Club preset is released with later models and I don't know if factory fitted B&W without the Jazz Club preset got this new preset from a total upgrade or from an IHU reload later on. Even so, doing total upgrade or IHU reload on a non B&W from factory might not be the same software that includes the new preset.
Can you please explain how to find VFD files and how to identify which one has SBL?
I have saved V2 files from the US market car.
I am still looking how is it can be possible to load US/EU market IHU software which has Google services instead of the one I have (Huawei services instead). My car was imported from the China main land.
I've also tried to change market certificate and language pack via Vida, but it literally did nothing. Confused