Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to buy used key fobs - SPA/CMA key fob and config guide
With the release of key programming in OrBit, I thought it would be good to share everything I have learned in developing and testing with the different types of fobs. I'll start with some notes about keys.
  • You can program any compatible key fob to the car, new or used. There is no key "virginizing" needed with the Volvo key fobs.
  • There are variations in key fob frequency: 434MHz, 315MHz and 434MHz "narrow band"(for S. Korea). Check Item 092 in OrBit when connected to your car to see which you have.
  • I am focusing on the 434MHz keys used in North America, but there is enough similarty this should still be helpful for those in markets with different remote frequency.
  • I'll talk about the key variations, but not part numbers, there are far too many to track them all, and I was more interested in using recycled keys.
  • These cars can have 2 variations of key equipment, "keyless starting" or "keyless locking and unlocking (Passive Entry)". They use the same key fobs, and same programming process.

Key varitations - Motion Sensing (MS)

Starting in 2021, Volvo updated key fobs with new cars to "Motion Sensing" style. The sole purpose of the motion sensing key is to be resistant to "relay attack" theft that proximity key fob systems are vulnerable to. The key shuts off, it won't respond to the car, when left sitting still for some length of time, via a motion sensor integrated in the fob. Volvo offers an accessory for pre-2021 cars to upgrade the keys to the "MS" type. The kit is an entire set of replacement key fobs for the car.

You can identify these keys by the mfr (Huf) model number HUF8423 is the non-MS, while the MS key is approproately the HUF8423MS. You can also use the FCCID that is popular for used keys to be advertised and sold by: YGOHUF8423 / YGOHUF8423MS. The various part and regulatory numbers are printed in the area inside the key, under where the key blade sits. On the sport key tag the printing is on the back of the case, the models of sport key tag are HUF8432/HUF8432MS, FCCID  YGOHUF8432/YGOHUF8432MS. (note these are the 434Mhz specific parts)

You can use and program these keys interchangably. The motion sensing feature is entirely contained within the key fob.

Key variations - Styles and shells

There are various different looking styles of keys. Volvo looks to have "cheapened" the keys over the years. My 2019 S60 came new with 2 leather shell key fobs matching the interior color, plus the buttonless waterproof sport key tag. I understand new Volvos today come with 2 plastic shell key fobs. Volvo has also offered some accessory replacement key shells in various colors and finishes like woodgrain.

All shells appear to be compatible with all fobs, you can mix and match them as you like. I upgraded my car with used "MS" keys with the cheap plastic shell, I simply swapped my original leather shells to the replacement key fobs. I also picked up a sweet unused amber leather shell from EBay at a great price, so now my wife knows which fob is hers, and there won't be any doubt as to "who" lost their key fob that was missing for 9 months around the house!! (It was somewhere under the seat of her Mazda)

One note is some of the plastic shell keys have black buttons. Swapping a shell from a "silver button" key will give the key a different look, but of course the function won't be affected.

There is not too much to know about the sport key tag, the battery is not technically replacable, but it can be done. So buying those used it up to you. I could never get the case apart so it goes back together well. I bought a new MS key tag to upgrade. Then I noticed the ket tag I had replaced under warranty, was already the MS type! So I got 2 good MS key tags in my collection now.

Key variations - Restricted Key and Care Key

Volvo has offered 2 "special" key types:
Restricted Key (Red Key): This key allows using the car with various restrictions. Speed limited, stereo volume limited, not able to turn off some safety features
Care Key (Orange Key): This key allows using the car with a maximum speed limit. If a maximum speed limit is not set, it is essentially a normal key

Restricted or care key are controlled by car config. For normal Volvo owners this is set at the factory, although Volvo does have a service software the dealer can order to disable restricted key function on a car, at the owners request. Of course we here have OrBit, so we can control the special key function through item 214 "RESTRICTED KEY FUNCTION". You may have questions about the behavior of these special keys as you program them to your own car. I will give a few notes and examples to make it clear. i don't know that all cars support both Restricted Key and Care Key, so the below is subject to what your model/year supports. (Note my 2019 does not support Care Key setting, so I have done my best to work this out, feel free to add any corrections in a reply!).
  • If item 214 is set to "01 Without restricted key":
  • Any red key or orange key programmed to the car works as a normal key
  • If item 214 is set to "02 Restricted Key":
  • Any red key or orange key operates as a Restricted Key
  • If item 214 is set to "03 Restricted key - Care Key":
  • Any red key or orange key operates as a Care Key

It does not matter when you program the key fob to the car, you can change config any time and the operation of the special keys will follow the above. this also means you cannot program multiple "special" keys to the car and have them behave differently, all special keys will follow the config setting of item 214.

A small note...if you swap shells around with your keys, do not worry about losing track of the special keys. The shell release slider on the fob matches the color of the original shell, orange or red, so you can identify the special keys without the shell. 

Also there are definitely MS and non-MS versions of Red Keys, I think the newer Care Keys are all MS version.

For Polestar peeps: All the above applies. I don't know that Polestar cars ever used the special keys. You can mix and match with the Volvo keys, the model and FCCID is the same, just with that bulkier Polestar shell ;-)
A quick note about remotes and key shells.

There are two versions of the physical key shells and remotes, beyond the Motion Sensing change.

Early (2016 to at least 2017 or 18) remotes were prone to breaking such that the shells would fall off. Volvo redesigned the attachment method and would replace the keys and shells with new ones as a warranty replacement.

You can tell by the difference in the little hook that engages shell and the old buttons are smooth and the new ones have a little protrusion to help you grip them.

The shells are not fully compatible. A new shell will fit on an old remote, but will be a smidge loose. An old shell will not lock onto a new remote without some slight modification.

As the revision came well before they started doing the Motion Sensing remotes, all the MS remotes should have the newer mechanism. Also I think all the red and orange keys are newer as well.

I mention this because people may be in the situation of having old keys with the nice fancy leather shells on them that they’d like to move to new keys with the plain black plastic shells.[Image: 2921784339609791ea10346540e9576b.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a few keys on Ebay UK to test with and they all worked as intended. I got a great deal on 2 Motion Sensor Sport keys for 48 euro without shipping and I managed to find 2 Red Keys with Motion Sensor for 16 and 18 euro without shipping. Keys from ali express seem to work also.
Partridge, thanks buddy! I didn't know about the early shell variation, that is good info to know.
(12-11-2023, 02:25 PM)Power6 Wrote: Partridge, thanks buddy! I didn't know about the early shell variation, that is good info to know.

I’ve figured out how to convert the old shells for use on the new remotes. It’s just a little bit of plastic shaving on the shell where the lock catches. Will post pictures later.

Guess who has the early shells and has to have their keys in a rubber cover to stop them spontaneously exploding... Smile
(12-12-2023, 09:25 AM)x119 Wrote: Guess who has the early shells and has to have their keys in a rubber cover to stop them spontaneously exploding... Smile

The upper shell is an old version, the other one is a new one. You can tell by the narrower little locking surface on the old one.

In order to modify it you have to carefully shave away at the bottom of the plastic. You can see where I’ve done it at the arrow.

Just shave carefully and test fit until the locking bar can move over. [Image: 54464568148f08b584af9b3e530470c5.jpg]

Hi, i have seen in Aliexpress that they have a bluetooth key, it's very cheap but can i program it like a ordinary key?
New at this. Thanks for all help
(01-16-2024, 02:49 PM)Staffanlind Wrote: Hi, i have seen in Aliexpress that they have a bluetooth key, it's very cheap but can i program it like a ordinary key?

Probably best to share a link to the product with us. I have ordered a cheap Ali express sports key fob to try out and I think the description on some I looked at described them as Bluetooth keys. However, I suspect this is mainly down to poor translation from the seller.
18/19 XC60 T5 R-Line Pro
Enabled with Orbit: ACC/PA/Corner Speed Assist, Smartphone Integration, Start Stop Memory
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGrFREl  this is link.
New at this. Thanks for all help