Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Retrofit Volvo V60 B&W
(12-13-2023, 03:05 PM)Power6 Wrote: I have had the B&W swap done for a year now, maybe more? I didn't swap out the HK sub. I listen to it pretty loud sometimes, B&W sounds so good ;-) I haven't killed the amp yet! Not refuting you IMAY2023! Just saying I'm lucky ;-)

I want to pick up the proper sub to complete the speaker set...I'm just a cheapskate and waiting for one to show up for a good price on EBay!

Do you know about sub compatibility? I can see part numbers differ between models, which may be due to the bracket variations on the sub for mounting, even though the sub unit itself could be the same between all the models. I haven't examined the sub to see if those parts are "swappable". To put it simply, can I use a B&W sub from an XC60, S/V90, XC90 in my S60? That would open up the part numbers I can look for. But from pictures, it looks like the mounting brackets are part of the frame of the sub unit, so I am not hopeful.

I just finish to install HK on my V60, an i  had an complete  system from XC90. The subwoofer dosen't fit properly, but whit some minor adjustments it fit ok.  I made  new holes in the braket and that's all
2019 Volvo V60
Hello,

checked by VIN number what's installed in my XC40 - SPA, 2020, not icup, there is so called Audio high system, think there is more speakers like 8, not basic, which is lowest level of audio in XC40, so below list what found by VIN, for audio, ihu, cable harness,

AUDIO LEVEL: AUDIO high
RADIO, AMP & SPEAKER SYSTEM: High Performance audio
SUBWOOFER: Without subwoofer
EXTERIOR SOUND UNIT: Without Exterior Sound Unit

Sensus Connect: High Performance 9"
INFOTAINMENT HEAD UNIT: Extra variant
IHU LEVEL: IHU high

CABLEHARNESS DOOR DRIVER SIDE: Extra variant
CABLEHARNESS DOOR PASS SIDE: Extra variant
CABLE HARNESS TAILGATE: Extra variant
CABLEHARNESS ROOF: Extra variant
CABLEHARNESS DOOR: Extra variant
CABLEHARNESS TUNNEL: Extra variant

would like hear opinion by experts like TweakeNL and IMAY2023, and sure other more experienced members in retrofit electronics, audio in Volvo cars Smile , what i need in this case, what means this info for cable harness, door driver side, door passenger side  - extra variant, does it mean, there is already wires, and just need replace speakers?

Sure, understand there is no subwoofer, and that will need install it and wiring for sub, and what else will need wiring, for Harman Kardon, as probably will try find  Harman Kardon to install, as could see Harman for XC40 is about 14 speakers , including sub, and this Audi "High" existing system is 8 speakers?

From which models can i use speakers, is it compatible with XC60, XC90 or can be from some other models?

Not sure is there amp in car, suppose yes, as it's declared as High performance system, if remember need check it under driver's seat, is there amp box?

Sure, this installation will do friend who is experienced car electronics service, but in meantim would like check what i need and that i find all parts for him and tell him what he needs to do, as Volvo not brand he does often Smile .

Thanks!
I don't know much about XC40 speaker setup and available options therefore I cannot advise if you need to change the cable harness in side the doors or if you have the roof speakers at the back or the center speaker.  
But I can tell you this. 
The main difference between 60 and 90 series is the mid range speakers on the rear doors for all audio trims and the outputs of the AUD (amplifier) under the passenger has different software or config file based on that.  60 series has one channel per each rear door (Woofer and tweeter connected in parallel) but 90 series has two channels [(high + MID) + LOW] for each rear door.  
So, first you will need to figure out what type of harness and speakers you have at the moment and the current AUD connections you have.  You might not have the wiring from the AUD to center "Dash" and roof speakers. 
For example, you might not have the MID range speaker at the door but harness might have the connector for it. 
Just pull out one front and one rear door trim and check what you have.  Those variants "Extra" might be for illumination does not tell anything.
Clear, i'll check what speakers have in car, and is there amp, suppose there is amp as VIN says - AUDIO LEVEL: AUDIO high RADIO, AMP & SPEAKER SYSTEM: High Performance audio. 

Clear about diff 60-90 series and mid range speaker and output from AMP, and cause of that diff config-sw they use. Yes, i read your explanation careful previos posts, where you clear explained, that 60 has 1 channel per door, and 90 has 2 channnels. Yeah, got it, will try check harness type and speakers what installed now in car, and amp connection, to have more clear picture of current installation , and more clear to you, to be able further advise  ...  

Yes, can be there is no wiring at dash and roof, will try check it. Yes, got point , that can be wiring at the doors, but no speakers, and then need just add speakers if there wiring with connectors. Yes, can be info "extra" variants for other stuff, and yes have ambient lights in car - high version, probably related to illumination those info about harness by vin. 

Thank you very much for explanation and in what direction need check things and then work on it  .  Reall appreciate it.
According to this, XC40 only has 1 speaker on the front doors. There is no place for additional speakers! On the other hand it has two speakers on the rear door.  
If you do not have the roof speakers already, most likely; you won't have the wiring too. 
I don't want to discourage you but it won't be easy to find used parts because not many people has XC40 with H&K or B&W and they are not the same speakers as 60 and 90 series. 
So, my advise to you start from the basics before even trying to finds the parts.  
From the Orbit, enable the SUB and just connect a speaker to the AMP.  "You can push wires into terminal holes" and check if you even get an output from your existing AMP (AUD) with its current config software. 
Not sure if your basic AUD "No SUB" has center (Dash) and roof outputs but you can test same way as the SUB.
That's amazing thanks.

I'm not good in reading the diagram.
Which pin hole "Rear Door Right or Left" ??
2018 XC60 T6 R Design Polestar optimised
(Inscription seats & Rims)
(02-06-2024, 06:41 AM)Altawashm Wrote: That's amazing thanks.

I'm not good in reading the diagram.
Which pin hole "Rear Door Right or Left" ??

XC 60 does not have the MID range speakers on the rear doors. So, you have only one full range output and woofer and tweeter are connected in parallel.
The AUD has two green speaker connectors.  The one at the right is the main outputs (LOW, center and SUB) 
Start counting top wires from right to left . (see picture)  
4 is rear door left 
5 is rear door right. 
right under of each their respective negative (grounds).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-05-2024, 08:54 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: According to this, XC40 only has 1 speaker on the front doors. There is no place for additional speakers! On the other hand it has two speakers on the rear door.  
If you do not have the roof speakers already, most likely; you won't have the wiring too. 
I don't want to discourage you but it won't be easy to find used parts because not many people has XC40 with H&K or B&W and they are not the same speakers as 60 and 90 series. 
So, my advise to you start from the basics before even trying to finds the parts.  
From the Orbit, enable the SUB and just connect a speaker to the AMP.  "You can push wires into terminal holes" and check if you even get an output from your existing AMP (AUD) with its current config software. 
Not sure if your basic AUD "No SUB" has center (Dash) and roof outputs but you can test same way as the SUB.

Today i checked what have in my car, below link with pictures from car,

https://mega.nz/folder/nxdVUTxB#l3XxC05fXGRhCgNnX1ykwA

so as i could conclude, 2x speakers in front doors - left+right, 4x speakers in rear doors - left+right (top and bottom of doors) , even for me strange at rear doors is there at the top of doors 1 or 2 speakers in his long trim, if we say 1x, then its in total 6 speakers + 1x speaker in dashboard = 7 speakers

So, in total 7 speakers + AMP under passenger seat, you can it on photos, with as could see 4 connectors, but difficult access it without desoldering for detailed check.  And saw these  2 location on rear part of car, not sure what they are and are those places where will be added some speakers...

At the roof no speakers.

Hm, not sure is difficult find XC40 HK speakers, as here in Europe could see at ebay more guys sell full set of HK XC40 speakers, full set price 700 to 1k euros, and even out of ebay can find it at many local selling websites in different EU countries, as for me not big deal order from any EU country,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...n&_sacat=0

checking prices from your links, seems in USA not so bad prices, even for new speakers Smile ,  maybe will ask some friends from USA to order it for me there Smile .

Clear about testing AMP (AUD) ,  think no problem about output for dash speaker, as in car is already dash speaker, roof speaker is missing.

Will i need replace AMP-amplifier, those you call aud, if change speakers to HK?
hi, 
 " Will i need replace AMP-amplifier, those you call aud, if change speakers to HK?"  > no you don't need to change. 
I looked at the images of the Amplifier, (AUD) it not clear how many wires connected on the first from right but looks like 5 channels.  So you are missing the SUB. (second pin from left of the connector (first from right with 5 channels.) 

The second connector with only two channels are for (MID + high) front.  (MID speaker is on the front doors, and tweeters are on the front side pillars which you missed in your pictures or you don't have them). 

The roof (back pillars) speaker out puts are on the second green connector. (with only two channels in your pictures) Pins are the first holes on each side. 

That is something I don't like with VOLVO. why wouldn't they pre-wire those channels. How much difference will it make in cost.  

It's not so hard to pull the wires but VOLVO's cheapness on this is just annoying.   
Hello,

oh, at least some nice news, that don't need replace AMP Smile , and less cost for me Smile) .

Yes, couldn't take better photos, as little bit difficult enter that area, will try desolder screws and take out amp, then take better photos, that you can see better and suggest about future config, will try  check how many wires on that connector 5 or more. Yes, there is no SUB, cause when i check by VIN installed modules, there is no SUB info.

Clear about 2nd connector, think i have no those tweeters on front side pillars, but will check again.

Clear about roof speakers, that on green connector with 2 channels in my case now, clear about pins.

So, what speakers now i need to buy Smile , as i'm little bit lost when it's about these HK sets and one which in car now, do i need replace all existing speakers like dash speaker, front speakers, rear speakers, with those from HK sets from ebay, or just to add those are missing from HK set, like for example you mentioned front tweeters on front side pillars, SUB from HK set, roof from HK set?

About AMP is clear, as you told dont need replace it, and sure need solve wiring for new added  - missing speakers, like wiring from sub to amp, wiring from roow to amp, front tweeters?

And 1 more thing, im my case not clear how many speakers i have exactly, if i count,  1x is dashboard speaker + 2x in front doors + 2x rear doors bottom speakers + 2x rears doors top = in total 7x speakers, not sure are counted in rear doors top like 1 or 2  speakers, as they are some how like in 2 parts, i ask this cause in Orbit config on 460  i see this,

460 AUDIO SPEAKERS

01 4 Speakers
02 6 Speakers
03 8 Speakers
04 9 Speakers
05 11 Speakers
06 12 Speakers
07 14 Speakers

and nowhere here 7x speakers, in my case not sure is it counted like 9x speakers maybe?

And from this Harman set from ebay in XC40 i see like 12x speakers set,

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6YUAAOSwh...l1600.webp

So, please if you can tell me which speakers i need replace for those now in car , in fact what speakers from this HK set from ebay i need buy, except AUD, as AUD you told dont need buy Smile  , hope will not need buy many of them Smile)) .

Thank you very much for all great infos, help, without you many of us here are lost for audio setups in Volvo Smile , as you are real-truly Volvo audio systems guru Smile , and hope you'll not kill me cause of much Q, but it will be easier for other Orbit users with XC40, if we get all info and solve it once, future users will easier setup HK in XC40 Smile . Wish you are more near to me in Europe, to pay some drink or dinner, for all great help Smile ! Really appreciate it!