Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Retrofit Volvo V60 B&W
Here is a small tutorial how to upgrade Volvo V60 High Performance Audio (NON Harman Kardon) to B&W.

Apparently this is a lot easier if you have Harman & Kardon as everything is prewired. Just swap the speakers, install the AMP and change configbits. 

Just small notes:
  • All wiring in the doors are there, no need to add extra wires.
  • A total of 4 wires need to be added for the speakers in the headliner.
  • 2 wires need to be added to the subwoofer.
  • With my car, the center speaker was pre-wired. But not connected to the amp.

First of all you will need all the speakers and install them into the door panels. This is just a straight-forward job and plug and play. 

I did install the roof speakers and subwoofer. Just added the cables to them. Fortunately the set that I got had the plugs and a small bit of wiring on it. So I could easily extend them to the front. 

For the roof speakers you will need to create a hole, like this:

I've used a "compass cutter" for it. It created perfect holes in fabric. I suggest you take one of the expensive sharper ones. AS it will take a lot of efford if you are using the cheap ones.

I ordered two speakers grills: 31479160 and  31479161. These are for the beige headliner.

You will need to re-pin your speaker connector as follows. 

Or if you are more like a picture person, like me:

Then I added the extra wiring to the center speaker. The cables go to the connector in front of the amplifier. (Just in front of the support beam.)

For now I've removed the two cables as I did not have the correct size pins. The correct part number you will need is: 30772666. You can push these in on the other side of the connector.

Now it is the time to install the B&W amp, just plug and play as well.
After this change the following config bits:

028 Radio, Amp and Speaker system: 03 Premium Sound
210 SUBWOOFER: 02 SUBWOF
Thank you for this!! I have someone asking about this swap for the "high performance" audio system, I was not familiar with what wiring needs to be added...
(02-07-2023, 05:53 PM)Power6 Wrote: Thank you for this!! I have someone asking about this swap for the "high performance" audio system, I was not familiar with what wiring needs to be added...

No problem, It's not that hard and definitely worth the upgrade.
Ooooooh I've been tossing xc90s out of the running because they didn't have the B&W system. This should make it a little easier to pick a nicer condition. One for a better price with lower HK and just upgrade it. Thanks for posting!
If you have the HK system already, you can still change the settings to  028 Radio, Amp and Speaker system: 03 Premium Sound
I just gave a try and I am loving it.  
(03-04-2023, 03:10 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: If you have the HK system already, you can still change the settings to  028 Radio, Amp and Speaker system: 03 Premium Sound
I just gave a try and I am loving it.  

What about it is better?  I also have HK.
Changing the config for Stereo without changing any hardware...to me that would just be "different" not necessarily "better". The sound does change, there is some processing happening in the IHU to adjust the sound for the stereo equipment that is installed.

IMO the HK setting sounds best with the HK configuration (as original). When I swapped only the B&W amp at first,  I still preferred the HK configuration. Once I swapped all the door speakers, it was then that I felt changing to the matching B&W stereo config sounded best. 

One might prefer the menus and controls of one over the other. Personally I miss the ease of adjusting the treble and bass quickly with the HK Sound Experience App, that is lost with the B&W version. But I get over it, overall you definitely want to change the config when swapping the stereo equipment.

But everyone may have their own opinion on things, that is how music and sound is. I don't see a benefit to changing the config to B&W without any of the equipment.
(03-07-2023, 08:40 PM)Power6 Wrote: Changing the config for Stereo without changing any hardware...to me that would just be "different" not necessarily "better". The sound does change, there is some processing happening in the IHU to adjust the sound for the stereo equipment that is installed.

IMO the HK setting sounds best with the HK configuration (as original). When I swapped only the B&W amp at first,  I still preferred the HK configuration. Once I swapped all the door speakers, it was then that I felt changing to the matching B&W stereo config sounded best. 

One might prefer the menus and controls of one over the other. Personally I miss the ease of adjusting the treble and bass quickly with the HK Sound Experience App, that is lost with the B&W version. But I get over it, overall you definitely want to change the config when swapping the stereo equipment.

But everyone may have their own opinion on things, that is how music and sound is. I don't see a benefit to changing the config to B&W without any of the equipment.

The config change in the IHU changes the pre-amp processing and opens different options like the 7 band equalizer and surround effect. The actual audio low signal pre-amp processing is done on the IHU and not on the amplifier (B&W or HK) that's why there is noticeable difference.  IHU just outputs the pre-amp signal on optic cable, it does not see what type of Amplifier you have at the end. Look at the technical specs of both amplifiers, the main difference is the output power. The output power of HK amplifier is well enough for me.  
Speaker wise, the only difference between BW and HK setup on S60 is the tweeter on the center speaker which adds the sweet and clearness to the sound.  But It's very easy to add. It's on the same channel as the center originally. Yes, B&W speakers have higher power because the B&W amplifier has higher output but respond frequencies that human can actually hear are exactly the same as the HK speakers. 

Regarding the trouble, bass or sub levels, you can still adjust them in tone section.   They are under settings / audio. Same place where you have 7 band equalizer instead of 4. 

Most of people wouldn't even feel the difference between (HK amplifier + HK speakers with center tweeter)  and (BW amplifier + BW speakers) with the IHU is on premium settings. 
VOLVO knows asking additional 3k on the top of HK just for amplifier + adding a tweeter wouldn't convince buyers. That's why they added pre-amp difference, in order to be able to show the difference which has nothing to do with amp or speakers. There are even much better and powerful amps and speakers than BW or HK.   Think about a home receiver on pure direct mode and other pre-procossing modes but some of the options are locked.
I am aware generally how the IHU and AUD work, obvously many details we do not know! It was just my opinion, the B&W processing didn't sound particularly good to me just trying the config change. To me the sound profile is optimized for the speakers, the big difference being the the upper door speakers, I see the capacitor is quite different on the back of the tweeter between HK/B&W when I swapped, the HK tweeter sound is very bright and too harsh with the B&W profile to my ears.

I don't agree the processing is all in the IHU, clearly all the channel split and crossover is done inside the amp. It must be a DSP chip handling that inside the amp, rather than discrete crossover circuits. The HK amp rolls off hard at the low frequencies, typical mid range OEM stereo. The B&W amp does not! Reflective of the step up in audio quality that it is, more full dynamic range of sound. There is probably some optimization in crossing over the other speakers as well, example the B&W uses an extended excursion speaker in the lower doors, you can see that physical difference when swapping those.

I was perfectly happy with the HK, I just stumbled on a B&W amp on EBay for $150USD and couldn't hit the "buy now" button fast enough when I found that!! Big Grin If you've messed with some stereo equipment, you know that sound of a nice clean powerful amp. We know it's $3400 option on top of the HK stereo. That's a lot of money when the car was new! Of course the profit margin is going to be fantastic for Volvo. So that leaves only some of the money left to go into the equipment. 

To say the B&W is little more than fiddling with a sound profile...man have you heard it? It's a well done system, considering a factory "premium stereo" is not always guaranteed to be worth it, there are some pretty disappointing ones from other mfrs out there. Value for money...well it's OEM option, it will never be a good deal for money, that's why we like to hack in used parts ;-) At the prices I paid I am thrilled with the sound. I got no patience to put some stereo together from aftermarket parts for the car, that's 100s of hours project to get into that. This swap was a nice little treat, it's why we like to mess with our cars config, these things ;-)

That's all just my opinion on it!
I am getting ready to upgrade my XC60 from the base system (non HK) to the BW. Super happy for Orbit and the ability to do this!

Quick question, I know I will have to update 028 - RADIO, AMP AND SPEAKER SYSTEM and 210 - SUBWOOFER. However, what about 451 - AUDIO & AMP LEVEL? The settings are low, medium, high and "Premium sound audio."

Appreciate the input!