Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Retrofit Volvo V60 B&W
I did not use these, these came after an update from Orbit. Probably for a another car or something.
- MY2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered, Full options
Foe those who would like to upgrade from high performance / HK to B&W on S60, V60. 
There are many listings for B&W AUD and Speaker set on ebay pulled out from S90, XC90, XC60 but very few from S60 and V60. 
It's possible to swap all speakers from a 90 series to 60 seers except the Subwoofer.  XC90 and S90 subwoofers does not fit to S60 or V60.   
HK SUB is 4ohm and B&W SUB is 8 ohm. It is possible to use 4 ohm HK SUB on B&W AUD (amplifier) but a 4 ohm High power 50W resistor must be added on the positive line of the SUB. Otherwise, on high volume low impedance (4 ohm) SUB will over load the AMP and eventually, it may burn the SUB channel.  

The second most important difference between those (XC90, S90, V90 , XC60 and S60, V60) is the speaker channels on the rear doors.
The 90 and XC60 series have two channels going from AUD to rear doors same as front doors (LOW and MID+HIGH in parallel). On the other hand, 60 series has only one channel going from AUD to rear doors. Woofer and tweeter are connected in parallels. This is same for all levels. (HK, B&W). 

It is possible to get B&W AUD from S90 and replace and s60 AUD as is but tweeters on the rear door of S60 will not work. Because s90 AUD uses internal crossover. 
If you get a full set from a 90 series and fit it to 60 series, you will need to wire a second channel from AUD to each rear door. 

DO NOT try to flash an preloaded (used) 90 series B&W AUD with 60 series B&W AUD software.  It will break the AUD completely and you will loose the volume control and all sound (including turn signal sound).  So, just wire second channel from AUD to each rear door.  

You will need  
4 repair terminals 30656669. (for the AUD middle connector) 
For wiring from car to doors I purchased used door harness for $35 and used the pins for the door connectors. I wanted to keeps things clean and original. 
Or you can pull direct wire from AUD to tweeter. 

I also added MID speakers to my rear doors. I build small boxes for the mid speakers and placed them in the small storage are on the doors.  Kids were using the place for trash anyway :-).  

On the back shelve I replaced the speakers with the ones with tweeter too. It fits inside, I just needed to cut a small piece to make a room. 

So, now I have 19 speakers in total on my S60 and sounds awesome.   30656669

It's possible to swap only the AUD without the speakers it still sounds much batter than HK but, the volume must be kept below litter over the middle because the HK speakers are 4 ohm to 6 ohm and the B&W AUD is designed for minimum 8 ohm speakers. 

Whoever is interested I have B&W S90 Subwoofer and complete set of HK speakers available for sale.
On a V90 cc 2019, with basic sound system, from what cars I can take speakers, to install B&W on mine. It was a dream to get a car with that system, that now it is seams possible. TIA
V90 CC D4 2019 Polestar
(11-08-2023, 04:52 PM)djredSE Wrote: On a V90 cc 2019, with basic sound system, from what cars I can take speakers, to install B&W on mine. It was a dream to get a car with that system, that now it is seams possible. TIA

I don't know if "basic sound system" has an amplifier with SUB or not.  
If you don't have an amplifier under the passenger seat, you'll need to rewire all speakers and MOST link from IHU to AUD  (Amplifier) 
If you do have an amplifier under the passenger seat, post a picture of the connectors, I can help you better.  

In general all speakers are inter changeable between models with some different setups and wiring. 
S60, V60, XC 60 > Do not have mid range speaker on the back doors and rear bench / roof speakers are 1 way. 
Xc60 > has a different front dash speaker. 
s90, v90 xc90 > has mid range speakers on the back doors and   ear bench / roof speakers are 2 way. 
SUB woofer is different between 90 and 60 series. 

On my S60, I added mid range speakers (B&W) to both rear doors and replace the rear bench speakers with 2 way (B&W) I needed to pull a new wire from the B&W AUD (MID + HIGH) channels to the each rear door and rewire the door harnesses. Because 60 series has 1 channel on rear doors Woofer and TWEETER are in parallel.  

In your case, you might not need to do that because you might already have mid + high range channel wiring.
(10-06-2023, 11:08 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Foe those who would like to upgrade from high performance / HK to B&W on S60, V60. 
There are many listings for B&W AUD and Speaker set on ebay pulled out from S90, XC90, XC60 but very few from S60 and V60. 
It's possible to swap all speakers from a 90 series to 60 seers except the Subwoofer.  XC90 and S90 subwoofers does not fit to S60 or V60.   
HK SUB is 4ohm and B&W SUB is 8 ohm. It is possible to use 4 ohm HK SUB on B&W AUD (amplifier) but a 4 ohm High power 50W resistor must be added on the positive line of the SUB. Otherwise, on high volume low impedance (4 ohm) SUB will over load the AMP and eventually, it may burn the SUB channel.  

The second most important difference between those (XC90, S90, V90 , XC60 and S60, V60) is the speaker channels on the rear doors.
The 90 and XC60 series have two channels going from AUD to rear doors same as front doors (LOW and MID+HIGH in parallel). On the other hand, 60 series has only one channel going from AUD to rear doors. Woofer and tweeter are connected in parallels. This is same for all levels. (HK, B&W). 

It is possible to get B&W AUD from S90 and replace and s60 AUD as is but tweeters on the rear door of S60 will not work. Because s90 AUD uses internal crossover. 
If you get a full set from a 90 series and fit it to 60 series, you will need to wire a second channel from AUD to each rear door. 

DO NOT try to flash an preloaded (used) 90 series B&W AUD with 60 series B&W AUD software.  It will break the AUD completely and you will loose the volume control and all sound (including turn signal sound).  So, just wire second channel from AUD to each rear door.  

You will need  
4 repair terminals 30656669. (for the AUD middle connector) 
For wiring from car to doors I purchased used door harness for $35 and used the pins for the door connectors. I wanted to keeps things clean and original. 
Or you can pull direct wire from AUD to tweeter. 

I also added MID speakers to my rear doors. I build small boxes for the mid speakers and placed them in the small storage are on the doors.  Kids were using the place for trash anyway :-).  

On the back shelve I replaced the speakers with the ones with tweeter too. It fits inside, I just needed to cut a small piece to make a room. 

So, now I have 19 speakers in total on my S60 and sounds awesome.   30656669

It's possible to swap only the AUD without the speakers it still sounds much batter than HK but, the volume must be kept below litter over the middle because the HK speakers are 4 ohm to 6 ohm and the B&W AUD is designed for minimum 8 ohm speakers. 

Whoever is interested I have B&W S90 Subwoofer and complete set of HK speakers available for sale.

Is there any harm running the 8 ohm BW subwoofer off of the 4 ohm HP amp?
no,  The minimum impedance of the HK amplifier is 4 ohm so you can connect any speaker (B&W SUB) with higher resistance (impedance).  The only down side is, you will need to increase the volume or the SUB output level in the settings. 
What you really need to avoid is that connecting a 4 ohm speaker to a 8 ohm minimum amplifier! That's why I wired a 4 ohm 50 W power resistor IN SERIAL (on plus wire) to my 4 ohm HK SUB connected to 8 ohm B&W AUD!
I have had the B&W swap done for a year now, maybe more? I didn't swap out the HK sub. I listen to it pretty loud sometimes, B&W sounds so good ;-) I haven't killed the amp yet! Not refuting you IMAY2023! Just saying I'm lucky ;-)

I want to pick up the proper sub to complete the speaker set...I'm just a cheapskate and waiting for one to show up for a good price on EBay!

Do you know about sub compatibility? I can see part numbers differ between models, which may be due to the bracket variations on the sub for mounting, even though the sub unit itself could be the same between all the models. I haven't examined the sub to see if those parts are "swappable". To put it simply, can I use a B&W sub from an XC60, S/V90, XC90 in my S60? That would open up the part numbers I can look for. But from pictures, it looks like the mounting brackets are part of the frame of the sub unit, so I am not hopeful.
I don't know the exact part numbers for each model but they are different! I purchased set of B&W speakers from ebay including the SUB (31409672) but it does not fit to my s60! My B&W AUD came from S90 together with 8 ohm SUB. So, I assume that my AUD has minimum 8 ohm that's why I added the resistor to my Hk 4 ohm SUB. 

The SUB is one complete peace there are no separate mounting brackets!  According to pictures I found on google, there are different mounting styles and  S/V90, XC90, and S/V 60 and they are not interchangeable! 

I see only two part numbers for S60 / V60  32265662 and 31456823 and I could not find any info what's the difference! It looks like there is no difference between H&K and B&W subs both might be 4 ohm!
(12-13-2023, 03:05 PM)Power6 Wrote: I have had the B&W swap done for a year now, maybe more? I didn't swap out the HK sub. I listen to it pretty loud sometimes, B&W sounds so good ;-) I haven't killed the amp yet! Not refuting you IMAY2023! Just saying I'm lucky ;-)

I want to pick up the proper sub to complete the speaker set...I'm just a cheapskate and waiting for one to show up for a good price on EBay!

Do you know about sub compatibility? I can see part numbers differ between models, which may be due to the bracket variations on the sub for mounting, even though the sub unit itself could be the same between all the models. I haven't examined the sub to see if those parts are "swappable". To put it simply, can I use a B&W sub from an XC60, S/V90, XC90 in my S60? That would open up the part numbers I can look for. But from pictures, it looks like the mounting brackets are part of the frame of the sub unit, so I am not hopeful.

I can tell from personal experience that subs from XC60 and the 90 series won't fit. I bought the amp and sub from a XC60 hoping it would fit but the mounting holes are different. If you're handy you may be able to adjust them but I think it will be a lot of work. Luckilly I was able to do a swap between my HK and a B&W sub, so I'm good now.
The XC60 does not have MID range speakers on the rear doors and I don't know if B&W AUD from from an XC60 has separate output channels for HIGH only on the rear doors. Most likely it does not! 

On the other hand the 90 series has MID range speakers on the rear doors and both HK and B&W factory 90 series AUDs have two rear door outputs (MID+HIGH)  and LOW! 

So, if you are using an XC60 B&W AUD on a 90 series, you might loose your MID+TWEETERS on the rear doors!