Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Retrofit Volvo V60 B&W
I am not that familiar with XC40 and the audio options but the diagram shows all three options. Audio1, Audio2 and Audio2+ .
(02-07-2023, 01:34 PM)TweakeNL Wrote: Here is a small tutorial how to upgrade Volvo V60 High Performance Audio (NON Harman Kardon) to B&W.

Apparently this is a lot easier if you have Harman & Kardon as everything is prewired. Just swap the speakers, install the AMP and change configbits. 

Just small notes:
  • All wiring in the doors are there, no need to add extra wires.
  • A total of 4 wires need to be added for the speakers in the headliner.
  • 2 wires need to be added to the subwoofer.
  • With my car, the center speaker was pre-wired. But not connected to the amp.

First of all you will need all the speakers and install them into the door panels. This is just a straight-forward job and plug and play. 

I did install the roof speakers and subwoofer. Just added the cables to them. Fortunately the set that I got had the plugs and a small bit of wiring on it. So I could easily extend them to the front. 

For the roof speakers you will need to create a hole, like this:

I've used a "compass cutter" for it. It created perfect holes in fabric. I suggest you take one of the expensive sharper ones. AS it will take a lot of efford if you are using the cheap ones.

I ordered two speakers grills: 31479160 and  31479161. These are for the beige headliner.

You will need to re-pin your speaker connector as follows. 

Or if you are more like a picture person, like me:

Then I added the extra wiring to the center speaker. The cables go to the connector in front of the amplifier. (Just in front of the support beam.)

For now I've removed the two cables as I did not have the correct size pins. The correct part number you will need is: 30772666. You can push these in on the other side of the connector.

Now it is the time to install the B&W amp, just plug and play as well.
After this change the following config bits:

028 Radio, Amp and Speaker system: 03 Premium Sound
210 SUBWOOFER: 02 SUBWOF

I'm in the process of upgrading my V90's High Performance System too. I removed the center speaker grill today and discovered I have a pair of wires with a connector plugged into nothing. I'm assuming this is the prewiring you spoke of for the center channel speaker (see highlighted text in the quote).

Do you recall where you found the other end of these wires? It's not connected to the AMP. But is it nearby? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind! I read the rest of your post. You said the wires go to the connector in front of the amplifier, just in front of the support beam. Sounds like I will need to remove the front seat to get to these.
(04-24-2024, 03:02 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I am not that familiar with XC40 and the audio options but the diagram shows all three options. Audio1, Audio2 and Audio2+ .

Ok,  I'll try find together with friend car electrician, as i'm not good with electronics parts, onl sw Smile , which are pins for rear's door bottom speakers-woofers based on diagrams you posted.
it depends on the AUD type you have.  
(C12+  C4-) > Left rear  
(C13+  C5-) > Right rear 
You can always check the output pins with Voltmeter (DC mV) or just connect a speaker to the pins directly.
AUD is OEM one which was in car in this HP setup, will try like you suggested. Sure, directly connection speaker to pins and testing until hear sound, not sure if add these 2x rear doors bottom speaker is necessary to change config to HK to be able test it, even it's not full HK setup, as missing 2x roof sepaker + 1x rear subwoofer in trunk, or to leave it as HP config?

Thanks!
According post from other friend, it looks like later AUD models generates DTCs if a speaker is disconnected or faulty. Not sure from which year though. 
My used B&W is from s90 MY18 and it does not generate any DTC if a speaker goes bad or disconnected. 

In addition, changing the to HP plus loads a different software in the IHU for sound control like surround. That application does not work properly if the AUD connected via MOST does not support it. 
 In any case, you can always give it try and put it back to original if you have issues. It's not going to burn the AUD or something.
Ah clear about DTCs for later AUD models, good to know.

Yeah, understand that change config to HP plus will load diff sw in IHU. Yeah, understand that app not work ok if Aud connected to MOST not support it.

Agree, that best way is give a try, and revert back if any issue. For me most important that not burn anything, when you confirm it, means much, as i know it's by real Volvo electronics guru and then not much worry Smile , it's treasure have you at forum as Volvo electronics guru Wink .