Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polestar 2 ACC & Pilot Assist
(08-30-2023, 06:38 PM)ToeJam85 Wrote: Yeah as above you can get little weights for your wheel. They’re usually sold as Autopilot related stuff for Tesla owners.

I don’t condone their use in any way as it seems like lunacy to want to let your car drive itself but if you genuinely are experiencing the above symptoms it might be a fix.

I do personally sometimes get the yellow warning when I’m sitting on a particularly straight piece of road so I feel your pain, but I just give it a wiggle and that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I imagined using a weight before to see what it would do. Ok, I'm not the first. 

But no, I don't want to go with the weights, maybe make it just a little more sensitive on the "timer" reset.

Ok moving on to something else... thanks!
The steering wheel "input" sensing is integral to the system, not something controlled by config. I am understanding the Pilot Assist system now...it is designed to be used only when you are paying attention, and the vintage of these Volvos, the only way they can confirm the driver is "attentive" (in order to disengage the system if they are not paying attention!) is through sensing small steering input from hands on the steering wheel. 

It looks like the latest systems that allow "hands free" driving, which I think will be equipped in the SPA2 Volvos coming out, uses an infrared/camera type sensor aimed at the drivers face, to verify eyes are open, and looking ahead. With this method of verification, the computers can sense the driver is "attentive" without steering input needed.

I been thinking...it's not good to "fool" the system, bad things could happen. BUT I know myself pretty well, I think I could handle the responsibility of paying attention with my hands near enough to the wheel, ready to take over...without needing to "wiggle" it or put constant steering input. I had found, on a long trip, the perfect way to gently rest one finger on the wheel with a tiny bit of pressure, to keep the system happy and enagaged. 

One could already engage cruise control on any car, and fold their legs up, far away from the brake pedal which could be bad if something happens suddenly! But I always relax my legs in a way that one foot is close to the brake pedal at all times. I think I could probably handle it responsibly, if I put a little weight on the steering wheel to allow me to go "hands free" with the understanding I am always keeping hands close to the controls if needed. Maybe that's not for everyone, and Volvo certainly cannot leave that responsibility up the customer on their cars! But I find I am not personally opposed to "fooling the system" or that, for myself.