Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driver assist differences between Polestar and Volvo
Hi all,

I am hoping to get some theories / feedback on a few driver assist differences I've noticed between my XC40 Recharge (North America, MY23) and the Polestar 2 (both CMA platform cars).

I've not driven a Polestar 2, but their IHU is available at the following link which lets you poke around the settings: https://hmi-app.polestar.com/car/Functions

Here are a handful of settings I noticed in the Polestar 2, but not my Volvo:

1. Curve Speed Assist (CSA): I've successfully enabled and tested it on the Volvo using OrBit (i.e., setting "148 Curve Speed Support" from 01 [w/o warning, w/o assist] to 03 [w/o warning, w/ assist]). Now I can see a new CSA setting in the IHU and the car slows down / shows an indication symbol on the dash on fast turns. Without CSA, the car would occasionally struggle to maintain its lane at high speeds -- but with CSA, that's been mostly solved -- so it seems odd to me that Volvo would omit the feature by default.
  2. Distance Alert: I tested setting "144 Distance Alert" from 01 (without Distance Alert) to 02 (with Distance Alert) but I couldn't quite figure out how to turn the feature on in the car itself (assuming it works at all on Volvo -- I thought it only worked on cars with a heads up display, but the Polestar 2 doesn't have one I think?)
  3. Speed Warning: I tested setting "155 Speed Warning" from 01 (without Speed warning) to 02 (with speed warning for GSO) but didn't notice any change (just the usual flashing speed limit sign in the dash)
  4. Speed Camera Warning: Not sure how to turn this one on -- maybe I overlooked an option in OrBit -- but also not sure this works in the US on the Polestars?

I also noticed the Polestar 2 docs mention "Passing assistance": https://www.polestar.com/us/manual/poles...sistance*/
  • Does anyone know if this related to "312 Lane Change Assist"? Right now the Volvo is set to 01 (w/o Lane Change Assist) but there is a 02 and 03 option for level 1 and 2, respectively.

Not necessarily saying I want all of these options -- just would like to see where the edges are on what's possible :-)

Thanks in advance.

AP
(06-26-2023, 05:44 PM)A-P Wrote: Hi all,

I am hoping to get some theories / feedback on a few driver assist differences I've noticed between my XC40 Recharge (North America, MY23) and the Polestar 2 (both CMA platform cars).

I've not driven a Polestar 2, but their IHU is available at the following link which lets you poke around the settings: https://hmi-app.polestar.com/car/Functions

Here are a handful of settings I noticed in the Polestar 2, but not my Volvo:

1. Curve Speed Assist (CSA): I've successfully enabled and tested it on the Volvo using OrBit (i.e., setting "148 Curve Speed Support" from 01 [w/o warning, w/o assist] to 03 [w/o warning, w/ assist]). Now I can see a new CSA setting in the IHU and the car slows down / shows an indication symbol on the dash on fast turns. Without CSA, the car would occasionally struggle to maintain its lane at high speeds -- but with CSA, that's been mostly solved -- so it seems odd to me that Volvo would omit the feature by default.
  2. Distance Alert: I tested setting "144 Distance Alert" from 01 (without Distance Alert) to 02 (with Distance Alert) but I couldn't quite figure out how to turn the feature on in the car itself (assuming it works at all on Volvo -- I thought it only worked on cars with a heads up display, but the Polestar 2 doesn't have one I think?)
  3. Speed Warning: I tested setting "155 Speed Warning" from 01 (without Speed warning) to 02 (with speed warning for GSO) but didn't notice any change (just the usual flashing speed limit sign in the dash)
  4. Speed Camera Warning: Not sure how to turn this one on -- maybe I overlooked an option in OrBit -- but also not sure this works in the US on the Polestars?

I also noticed the Polestar 2 docs mention "Passing assistance": https://www.polestar.com/us/manual/poles...sistance*/
  • Does anyone know if this related to "312 Lane Change Assist"? Right now the Volvo is set to 01 (w/o Lane Change Assist) but there is a 02 and 03 option for level 1 and 2, respectively.

Not necessarily saying I want all of these options -- just would like to see where the edges are on what's possible :-)

Thanks in advance.

AP

Which trim of the XC40 Recharge do you have? Do you have Pilot Assist or Adaptive Cruise control on from Factory? I would appreciate it if you could share your Pilot Assist settings.

I suspect Distance alert is related to AEB. I've seen my car show a red icon whenever I was very close to the car in front of me.
(06-26-2023, 07:09 PM)c40Owner Wrote: Which trim of the XC40 Recharge do you have? Do you have Pilot Assist or Adaptive Cruise control on from Factory? I would appreciate it if you could share your Pilot Assist settings.

I suspect Distance alert is related to AEB. I've seen my car show a red icon whenever I was very close to the car in front of me.

Hi there - I have the Ultimate trim, so including Pilot Assist from the factory.

Here are some relevant config options (which I pulled from some other threads, but with my factory settings). Let me know if any others would be helpful.

023 Cruise Control: 04 Adaptive cruise control stop & go level 1
314 Adaptive Cruise Control Version: 02 ACC version 2
145 Traffic Jam Assist: 05 With Traffic Jam Assist, Level 4
238 Top Damping Brakes: 01 Friction Brake actuator without top damping
142 Parking Assistance: 07 Parking assistance, Semi-automatic Parking Gen3
(06-26-2023, 10:00 PM)A-P Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 07:09 PM)c40Owner Wrote: Which trim of the XC40 Recharge do you have? Do you have Pilot Assist or Adaptive Cruise control on from Factory? I would appreciate it if you could share your Pilot Assist settings.

Hi there - I have the Ultimate trim, so including Pilot Assist from the factory.

Here are some relevant config options (which I pulled from some other threads, but with my factory settings). Let me know if any others would be helpful.

023 Cruise Control: 04 Adaptive cruise control stop & go level 1
314 Adaptive Cruise Control Version: 02 ACC version 2
145 Traffic Jam Assist: 05 With Traffic Jam Assist, Level 4
238 Top Damping Brakes: 01 Friction Brake actuator without top damping
142 Parking Assistance: 07 Parking assistance, Semi-automatic Parking Gen3
Thanks for the config info
Just made the same settings as yours on my 2019 V60 and Curve Assist works SmileSmile (normally it shouldn't??)
This made me think about Lane Change Assist. Maybe the other versions of ACC like 3 or 4 would enable that? Will have to try it

Update: the car seems to not ping-pong as bad as before. Almost not at all or at least smoothly. Also, on my way to work, I have a road curving to the right where I had set the PA at 80kmh and it couldn't keep the lane. It was going on the other side. Now it does hold it without having the warning for Curve Assist on. It was keeping 80kmh. So maybe having Version 2 of ACC makes it more responsive?? Will test it more
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
(06-27-2023, 10:03 AM)marinalin85 Wrote: Thanks for the config info
Just made the same settings as yours on my 2019 V60 and Curve Assist works SmileSmile (normally it shouldn't??)
This made me think about Lane Change Assist. Maybe the other versions of ACC like 3 or 4 would enable that? Will have to try it

Update: the car seems to not ping-pong as bad as before. Almost not at all or at least smoothly. Also, on my way to work, I have a road curving to the right where I had set the PA at 80kmh and it couldn't keep the lane. It was going on the other side. Now it does hold it without having the warning for Curve Assist on. It was keeping 80kmh. So maybe having Version 2 of ACC makes it more responsive?? Will test it more

Hmm this could be interesting!

I was skimming through Power6's post on enabling PA/ACC here: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread...pid=4#pid4

He has a 2019 S60, which I'm guessing shares the same platform as your 2019 V60? I don't know that for sure. He mentioned a couple of things which are interesting in the context of your feedback.

Quote:...
023 CRUISE CONTROL
- 03 Adaptive cruise control, level 1
145 TRAFFIC JAM ASSIST - 04 With Traffic Jam Assist, Level 3

023, 145 changing to higher "levels" - On my car, moving these up to higher than the settings I noted above, then write, ABS clear etc. I get messages on the dash of ESC, Cruise Control disabled etc. So does not work for me. Newer Volvos "with Pilot Assist" maybe well have the hardware to support the higher levels, I don't know. That's where the community and trying and learning comes in....
148 CURVE SPEED SUPPORT - I can enable and the items show up in dash and Sensus to use this, but never has worked from what I can see

Seems you were able to set 023 and 145 to higher levels than he was? Maybe the "right" combination of the two settings is important.

Were you able to test if Curve Speed Assist worked? Or just that option is now available in your IHU? From my experience, to get CSA to consistently kick in, I usually need to be going 70+ mph on a fairly sharp curve (fast / sharp enough where it's slightly uncomfortable, even when driving manually).
(06-27-2023, 01:57 PM)A-P Wrote: Hmm this could be interesting!

I was skimming through Power6's post on enabling PA/ACC here: https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread...pid=4#pid4

He has a 2019 S60, which I'm guessing shares the same platform as your 2019 V60? I don't know that for sure. He mentioned a couple of things which are interesting in the context of your feedback.
Someone said I think in that thread that it didn't work but I don't remember what settings he used. That's why I wondered 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FhEBURM...p=drivesdk
(06-27-2023, 02:33 PM)marinalin85 Wrote: Someone said I think in that thread that it didn't work but I don't remember what settings he used. That's why I wondered 

That is interesting! I'll let Power6 know as well.
(06-27-2023, 03:30 PM)A-P Wrote:
(06-27-2023, 02:33 PM)marinalin85 Wrote: Someone said I think in that thread that it didn't work but I don't remember what settings he used. That's why I wondered 

That is interesting! I'll let Power6 know as well.

Maybe it didn't work for him cause he, and the others, tried ACC version 1 and TJA level 3 instead of ACC V2 and TJA level 4

Update: Apparentely, Volvo offers Lane Change Support on trucks. From what i've read, is an additional radar. Its also a support, it doesn't do it for you
https://stpi.it.volvo.com/STPIFiles/Volv...425336.pdf
It may require the map to have the recommended curve speed data or curve rate to work.
(06-28-2023, 03:34 AM)mccoy0007 Wrote: It may require the map to have the recommended curve speed data or curve rate to work.

Exactly. On my way to work there is also a straight road with an additional lane to exit to the right. The one on the right is a secondary road. Even GPS says "keep left" but its actually straight. There it slows down from 120kmh to 60kmh thinking the maine road is a left curve. Also another road where it should slow down, it doesn't cause it sees a straight road. Hit and miss but mostly hit Smile