Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
R-Design steering Wheel
Problem solved! Now the paddles work perfectly!
In the end I don't know why but my car has been built without the 3 wires needed for the paddles....once i added the 3 extra wires everything started working as intended!
Since my car has the standard gear shift (not the shift by wire one) the procedure is a little bit different from the other one made for the shift by wire!
So here is a small "how to" for the users with standard gear shift!

1) disconnect the battery
2) remove the steering wheel and gain access to the steering harness
3) behind the steering harness you can find this connector (the 3 wires needed are the nr. 11, 12, 13 if missing you have to add them) 

4) these 3 wires need to be connected into the gear shift connector (the green one)

the connection path is the following:
11=>YE/VT (gear connector cable color)
12=>BN/YE (gear connector cable color)
13=>BN/GY (gear connector cable color)
end result!    
5) Done! close everything, put the new steering wheel, code with orbit and enjoy!
Nice work! I like this stuff...you added the paddles despite Volvo's best efforts of dropping the wires from the harness ;-)
(04-12-2023, 04:42 PM)Power6 Wrote: Nice work! I like this stuff...you added the paddles despite Volvo's best efforts of dropping the wires from the harness ;-)

Thanks, once you know how to connect the wires to the shifter it's not an hard Job!
When you have the polestar optimization it's definitely something nice to have Cool
(04-10-2023, 03:39 PM)Power6 Wrote: Hmmm this is interesting. Just from what I know...the latest cars may be missing wires that allow the shift paddles to work. Since they have been dropped for a while, it seem eventually Volvo may have dropped those from the harness as they would be essentially unused wires anyways. I dealt with this recently for a user with a 2023.

But a 2020 S60 I would expect everything to be there, that was a car built right as they dropped the paddles!

GRG, what is the condition once you have the paddles enabled, I know they don't function, but are there any trouble codes (DTCs)? Is this an ICE or a PHEV (T8)? From what I have seen a car without the wiring needed, would have codes set something like "left shift paddle signal not detected" and similar for the right paddle as well when the config for the shift paddles (041 GEAR SHIFT PADDLES) is enabled. If you want to contact me at support email we could work through it, and then we can report back here what the findings are for others.

It's probably based on production plants. My 2022 V60 had the wires while some early S60 don't. They are built at different locations. My V60 was built in Sweden.
Today i finished the retrofit steering wheel with shifters paddle. I have XC90 T8 2016, by default shift by wire. I coded and work . [Image: 719a64193146be12f60b3460a94bce29.jpg][Image: a9b55f7a4b62eed6cd97f02e70cbc827.jpg][Image: 0550b4d08a249a7af5bc11bb3c6fee95.jpg][Image: 046862f4c7d26a6e51ce3e623a34a0ec.jpg]
XC90 T8 2016 / B&W / POLESTAR ENGINEERD / 360 CAMERA.
Blonde R-Design steering wheel...I had no idea that exists!! I don't think it's a combination that ever existed in the US, R-Design interior always black.
I got a spare R-Design steering wheel from a 2019 XC60 (without heat...) over in Europe if someone's interested.. just pm me.
(04-13-2023, 09:50 AM)GRG Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 04:42 PM)Power6 Wrote: Nice work! I like this stuff...you added the paddles despite Volvo's best efforts of dropping the wires from the harness ;-)

Thanks, once you know how to connect the wires to the shifter it's not an hard Job!
When you have the polestar optimization it's definitely something nice to have Cool
Hi GRG; 

The wires you marked "11 , 12 , 13" on the steering wheel connector, do you have the part number for the terminal repair kit or  the wires were there and you just tabbed to those three new wires? 
Thanks in advance.
(12-23-2023, 08:07 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(04-13-2023, 09:50 AM)GRG Wrote:

Hi GRG; 

The wires you marked "11 , 12 , 13" on the steering wheel connector, do you have the part number for the terminal repair kit or  the wires were there and you just tabbed to those three new wires? 
Thanks in advance.
Hi, the wires were missing and I was able to add them using the terminals taken out from a donor connector, I wasn't aware that volvo sells some specific repair kit for those jobs...sorry not too helpful I guess.
Has anyone attempted this on a MY2023/24 V60? How difficult is it to get to the transmission harness?