• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bending Lights and Active High Beam
I had it ONLY in low beam. Now changed to High and Low beam as well
Try it and if it doesn't work, try disabling 256 to see if the button appears
Not my car but left bottom corner

[Image: a5e10f7dee2f320b8d6c8d09bc6cea82.jpg]
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
Ok, I strongly suspect that there is an error in the lookup table, which I believe should read:

Code:
05 LED With Bending Light, type A, Top Range
06 LED With Bending Light, type B, Top Range
07 LED, Without Bending Light, type A, Mid Range
08 LED, Without Bending Light, type B, Mid Range
09 LED, without Bending Light, Type A, with HCM US/CND Mid Range
0A LED, without Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW Mid Range
0B LED, with Bending Light, Type A, with HCM US/CND High Range
0C LED, with Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW High Range

I’ve tried the 0C ROW setting on my US spec car XC90 and it appears to be behaving exactly the same as the 0B setting with respect to the adaptive functionality.  I suspect it may have more to do with the particular setup of the default beam pattern to meet DOT vs EU parameters than with any actual mechanical differences.

As far as the Active High Beam settings, both 
Code:
04 With AHB2 (Adaptive), Low Beam in Village
05 With AHB2 (Adaptive), High Beam in Small Village

definitely turn on adaptive high beam functionality.  I can see the lights cutting out a square of darkness around cars that I am following.  I will note that it is not on as much as I thought it would be, but that may have to do with the fact that there are lots of streetlights where I live and the system seems to have pretty stringent requirements for what it considers high beam on conditions.
(02-04-2023, 03:58 AM)Partridge Wrote: As far as the Active High Beam settings, both 
Code:

definitely turn on adaptive high beam functionality.  I can see the lights cutting out a square of darkness around cars that I am following.  I will note that it is not on as much as I thought it would be, but that may have to do with the fact that there are lots of streetlights where I live and the system seems to have pretty stringent requirements for what it considers high beam on conditions.
They are definetely not that bright. It's actually worst with them on. Sure, you can see a little on the sides but its very dim and not wide enough. I've driven lots of cars at night. My old A3 with HID had a veeery wide High Beam (tho not adaptive). My fathers Insignia with Matrix has twice as bright and wide as ours. Also gets closer to the car when shadowing
My biggest problem is that it leaves the front car mostly unlit. Have to use fog lights to brighten the area a little bit. When the beam moves out the way it creates a dark spot. I will try to make a video of it
This video is from a XC60 on youtube. Skip to minute 7
https://youtu.be/tqJ3_Etg-2Y
When in bends, if there is a car coming from the other way and you already have another one in front, or on wide streets (2lanes/direction) the beam separates the cars but it gets to a point (for me mostly) when there are to many cars and the beam has nowhere to go meaning it turns both of them off, that is the worst. It should move back in the middle as a low beam but no, it turns into NO Beam
VW used on Golf 7 Adaptive Led (before Matrix) with the same exact way as Volvo but a whooole lot better. Check youtube, there are plenty there.
I really think that Volvo made a huuuge mistake to put only reflectors, no Lens at all. Lens would've made a huge diference
(02-04-2023, 07:06 AM)marinalin85 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 03:58 AM)Partridge Wrote: As far as the Active High Beam settings, both 
Code:

They are definetely not that bright. It's actually worst with them on. Sure, you can see a little on the sides but its very dim and not wide enough. I've driven lots of cars at night. My old A3 with HID had a veeery wide High Beam (tho not adaptive). My fathers Insignia with Matrix has twice as bright and wide as ours. Also gets closer to the car when shadowing
My biggest problem is that it leaves the front car mostly unlit. Have to use fog lights to brighten the area a little bit. When the beam moves out the way it creates a dark spot. I will try to make a video of it
This video is from a XC60 on youtube. Skip to minute 7
https://youtu.be/tqJ3_Etg-2Y
When in bends, if there is a car coming from the other way and you already have another one in front, or on wide streets (2lanes/direction) the beam separates the cars but it gets to a point (for me mostly) when there are to many cars and the beam has nowhere to go meaning it turns both of them off, that is the worst. It should move back in the middle as a low beam but no, it turns into NO Beam
VW used on Golf 7 Adaptive Led (before Matrix) with the same exact way as Volvo but a whooole lot better. Check youtube, there are plenty there.
I really think that Volvo made a huuuge mistake to put only reflectors, no Lens at all. Lens would've made a huge diference

That video lines up pretty we with what I’m experiencing. I don’t see the AHB active much because it doesn’t turn on if there’s a hint of streetlight. On dark highway exits it’s really obvious because I can see the shadow chasing the other car around the corner and the shoulders are much better lit than they were before.
In Europe we are poor, we don't really have street lights outside the city (not all Europe obv.)
If it works then perfect
This is where VAGCOM was better (thats how VAGs are not that OrBit is not good). You were able to change the intensity and projector position inside the headlight. It would've been helpful here
(02-04-2023, 03:58 AM)Partridge Wrote: Ok, I strongly suspect that there is an error in the lookup table, which I believe should read:

Code:
05 LED With Bending Light, type A, Top Range
06 LED With Bending Light, type B, Top Range
07 LED, Without Bending Light, type A, Mid Range
08 LED, Without Bending Light, type B, Mid Range
09 LED, without Bending Light, Type A, with HCM US/CND Mid Range
0A LED, without Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW Mid Range
0B LED, with Bending Light, Type A, with HCM US/CND High Range
0C LED, with Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW High Range

I’ve tried the 0C ROW setting on my US spec car XC90 and it appears to be behaving exactly the same as the 0B setting with respect to the adaptive functionality.  I suspect it may have more to do with the particular setup of the default beam pattern to meet DOT vs EU parameters than with any actual mechanical differences.

l will see if I can cross reference this with other info I have and confirm. I am very careful about "correcting" the info, as it's ultimately leaked from Volvo, so they are the source of truth. But of course mistakes/typos do happen. I think you are probably right, and if I can confirm it in another way, I will update hat description for "0C".

(02-04-2023, 03:21 PM)marinalin85 Wrote: In Europe we are poor, we don't really have street lights outside the city (not all Europe obv.)
If it works then perfect
This is where VAGCOM was better (thats how VAGs are not that OrBit is not good). You were able to change the intensity and projector position inside the headlight. It would've been helpful here

No worries, VAGCOM been around for a long time! I think the fundamental difference is BMW and VAG seem to have both a system of "central config" (which is where OrBit is at with Volvo) and also a concept of "module config" for each module, with more specific configurations contained within the module itself.

There might a similar such thing in Volvos, it's not known, there are some clues it might exist...or they might not build cars that way, with many individual bits of operation variation in a control system with configuration settings. They could simply control variations by what software is loaded to the unit for example, which would not leave any easy way for us to "code" like you can on a VAG car.
That will definetelt be something that only Volvo has. 
VIDA its just a piece of cake that they throw at as. They have the rest of it. With the candles!!!
For reference, my UK XC90 has the following:

Code:
06 - HEADLIGHTS, TYPE - LED With Bending Light, type B, Top Range

I suspect that 0B / 0C are simply to do with some regulatory compliance piece for the HCM. Frequencies, power, something. We probably won't ever know. It's just an identifier and not important to function. You can select whatever you want here, the actual bend / active functions are controlled by other params... (needs confirming)
You think the "Top Range" might be this little extra LED row you been talking about?

I did confirm 0C is in fact the ROW with bending, I've updated the config database, should start showing up correctly soon in an OrBit install near you ;-)
(02-04-2023, 09:07 PM)Power6 Wrote: You think the "Top Range" might be this little extra LED row you been talking about?

I did confirm 0C is in fact the ROW with bending, I've updated the config database, should start showing up correctly soon in an OrBit install near you ;-)

I’m more thinking that may be the Type A / TypeB designation as it seems to be consistent that type A is North America and type B is ROW, since NA seems to have distinct regulatory differences in regards to lighting. 

It may be that this variable is just a statement of what hardware the car came with as isn’t really referenced in a meaningful way as x119 said.

Also, not sure what I did, it may have been like that before or it may be after the switch to 0c, but my lights are defaulting to adaptive high beams on now, I don’t have to twist the stalk to turn them on. 

Previously when I was testing the adaptive beams I was definitely having to turn them on every time.