Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bending Lights and Active High Beam
(03-13-2023, 04:12 AM)Partridge Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 03:44 AM)marinalin85 Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 07:20 PM)Partridge Wrote: Finally got around to filming the adaptive lights.

This is on a North American 2019 XC90 with bending lights.

https://youtu.be/nf3FSC4dmG4

https://youtu.be/6QLuPdIg1Y0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep
They do function the same as mine. The only difference that I can see is the first activation, when they spread, the "longer" beam is instant where mine is a fade. After that, they function and look the same

The system is quite aggressive about not dazzling oncoming traffic. Too many cars around. Low beam. Overhead lights. Low beam.

Honestly, I’ve been running them for a couple weeks now and I have not been flashed at once. Not a single time.

I’ve always felt like the full flashing on and off of the standard active high beams seemed like it might be annoying to other traffic, but I do wonder what the adaptive lights look like from the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are used to thy tech here in EU. Ever since the beggining, never really annoyed us. You would see this "flash" from standard headlights with all the potholes around and that is right in your eyes. I never even saw the beam activating or deactivating behind or in front of me. So it can't really be annoying
You'll need some time to get used to them
If we ever get a chance to change the intensity of them (like vagcom) it will be amazing. We really need the split beam (longer beam) brighter. If its just 1 car in front, on the road, they are ok. If more, then you don't really see the beam...
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
Original config:
LED, without Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW Mid Range
With AHB1 (On/Off), Low Beam in Small Village
Without Bending Light

Current config:
LED, without Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW Mid Range
With AHB2 (Adaptive), High Beam in Small Village
Without Bending Light

It seems to have a lower intensity high beam than the low beam when a car is in front or on the other lane, making it very risky. (Awful high beam experience)
More explicit description: High beam stays on (Blue on the dash) but is faded, and its range is smaller than the one on the Low beam.
When no car is on the road, it looks the same as on/off. I'm also considering adding bending lights and giving it another try tomorrow.
If nothing changes, I will most likely change it back to on/off AHB1, which worked from my perspective better.

Should I also play with this: "LED, without Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW Mid Range"?
Do you have any config ideas for "active like headlights"?

Update:
I tried to modify the LED version to LED, with Bending Light, Type B, with HCM ROW High Range and got the next errors:

03/14/2023, 10:29:50
HCML:
U2300 - Central Configuration- System Programming Failures- Invalid / Incompatible Software Component
HCMR:
U2300 - Central Configuration- System Programming Failures- Invalid / Incompatible Software Component

I tried to clear those with DTC, soft clear, and hard on HCMR& HCML. However, they are still present.
For some reason, they were still present even after the revert, and I used hard reset two times, clear DTCs, hard reset, also IHU. For a few minutes, let the car come back clear DCSs and soft reset, and nothing was shown anymore.

I also modified Bending Light for Low and High beams. This seems not to throw any error, and the button in the console seems to work. I will try this tonight and come back with the results. Previously the button was not present. Now, it is and looks like this:
https://ibb.co/wQhX4j3
XC90 D4, FWD
(03-03-2023, 10:19 PM)Power6 Wrote: I guess at some level, though we know some cases we have looked at the HCMs hardware and software are the same non-bendy to bendy lights, perhaps that is not complete across every possible car. Volvo is free to make changes as they see fit without consulting us. If it were me I would maybe swap the HCMs to the ones that came with the lights and see what the result is there.

Unfortunately no HCMs were included with the ABL lights... Sad Still not figured out how to get them bending. 
Need to try 2 lights from a working car or something.
- MY2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered, Full options
I recently picked up a set of reasonably priced bendy lights in good shape. So I will be trying this swap and enabling on my US S60 soon. Will see what I learn.

People above...or anyone who was trying to swap the "ROW" bendy lights in place of the "ROW" non-bendy lights, if you were/are trying to do this, send me a message at support email, I want to check some things with you. I may have discovered a quirk to that specific swap and I can do some testing with you to see what we can find out, it could be the key to get those working properly.
Finally got rit of the fault codes. Reverted back to oem lights due to some warranty work at Volvo. 

Then the codes went away. Strange enough…. maybe due to an update from Orbit?

Never got the bendy lights working for now.
- MY2020 V60 T8 Polestar Engineered, Full options
When you get back to this TweakeNL, send me a message at support, I will work with you to try some things to get the "bendy swap" to work. I have discovered some things related to the local configuration on the CEM that are affected by the headlights. It's something I may incorporate into OrBit, but I could give you a way to test it immediately. It would be good to see if this is something that would solve a problem, related to headlight swapping, that would indicate it is worth updating OrBit to handle it.
I don’t have bending lights but I changed 109 from ABH1 on/off to ABH2 adaptive High beam in small village. Adaptive high beam works but it’s not doing so much. It’s still kinda just switching normally between high and low beam. I can just barely see it turning off some light in the left corner when there is oncoming car coming. But it’s not shadowing or fading the light. 

Is there actual physical hardware missing in the headlight for this to function properly, besides the obvious bending light function?
(04-11-2024, 10:59 PM)Orman Wrote: I don’t have bending lights but I changed 109 from ABH1 on/off to ABH2 adaptive High beam in small village. Adaptive high beam works but it’s not doing so much. It’s still kinda just switching normally between high and low beam. I can just barely see it turning off some light in the left corner when there is oncoming car coming. But it’s not shadowing or fading the light. 

Is there actual physical hardware missing in the headlight for this to function properly, besides the obvious bending light function?

Before I swapped my headlights with the bending ones. I tried the adaptive setting on the factory  MID LED headlights.  It does not do shadowing or moves the lights to the sides. 
All I noticed that, regular (on / off) and little bit dimming and aiming up and down.  I also noticed that the overall lighting is less with adaptive settings together with non-beny mid led headlights. 

With bending full led headlights, the adaptive high beam settings is operating very different. So far I noticed. 
headlights are moving side to side while going straight depending on the environment, (expending the illuminated area) 
Turns off or dims one side when approaching oncoming car. 
Lowers the headlights and dims the center when approaching another car from behind.
(04-12-2024, 09:04 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 10:59 PM)Orman Wrote: I don’t have bending lights but I changed 109 from ABH1 on/off to ABH2 adaptive High beam in small village. Adaptive high beam works but it’s not doing so much. It’s still kinda just switching normally between high and low beam. I can just barely see it turning off some light in the left corner when there is oncoming car coming. But it’s not shadowing or fading the light. 

Before I swapped my headlights with the bending ones. I tried the adaptive setting on the factory  MID LED headlights.  It does not do shadowing or moves the lights to the sides. 
All I noticed that, regular (on / off) and little bit dimming and aiming up and down.  I also noticed that the overall lighting is less with adaptive settings together with non-beny mid led headlights. 

With bending full led headlights, the adaptive high beam settings is operating very different. So far I noticed. 
headlights are moving side to side while going straight depending on the environment, (expending the illuminated area) 
Turns off or dims one side when approaching oncoming car. 
Lowers the headlights and dims the center when approaching another car from behind.

Yea mine behave exactly the same as you are describing, so that means there is more hardware differences than just the bending lights function.
Hello guys. I just swaped my headlights with ABL. Everiting is working, but i notticed 2 problems:
1. I see shadow spots on the road from bouth headlights.  Light is not uniform
2. When i have a car in front, i don't have light in the center, i bearly  see something.
I din't config correct?
2019 Volvo V60