Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
R-Design steering Wheel
I’m guessing that each shift paddle has a unique CAN bus ID that broadcasts the shift request. Is there something that you don’t like about the standard paddles?
(01-14-2024, 12:12 AM)STWAGguy Wrote: I’m guessing that each shift paddle has a unique CAN bus ID that broadcasts the shift request. Is there something that you don’t like about the standard paddles?

Nope, it's a simple closed circuit, TCM outputs about  5 volts and expects it to return in two. Each shifter is a simple breaker. By default they are closed, when one of them is opened that's how TCM knows if it's down or up shifting. The circuitry inside just regulates the current (driver keeps pressing ) and avoids back flow too. 

The only thing I wasn't so happy about it is that + and - signs are not illuminated. They are just plastic signs on each paddle.
Ah, that’s Interesting - thanks!
Hi, I'm thinking of starting this retrofit to have these paddles on the steering wheel Smile

The steering wheels are often sold alone, is the airbag on my V60 Inscription steering wheel the same size as those on the R-Design or other V90/XC90/XC60 models?
Yes, I got a steering wheel from S90 R-design and fitted it to my S60 momentum. AirBag is the same.  I just added the three wires. But make sure to buy the correct one, heated / not heated depending on what you have.
Great so on average it's 250-300€ for the steering wheel with paddle, if I buy a steering wheel that can be heated and I install the option later is it possible?
(01-18-2024, 09:21 AM)Megailo Wrote: Great so on average it's 250-300€ for the steering wheel with paddle, if I buy a steering wheel that can be heated and I install the option later is it possible?
Yes normally you should be able to add it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
(01-18-2024, 09:21 AM)Megailo Wrote: Great so on average it's 250-300€ for the steering wheel with paddle, if I buy a steering wheel that can be heated and I install the option later is it possible?

It depends on the Steering Column Switch Housing you have! There are three connectors on the steering wheel mount side. AirBAG (Yellow) Buttons of the steering wheel (green) and the heater (white). 
If you do not have heated steering wheel from factory, your  Steering Column Switch Housing might not have the connector for the heating

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-18-2024, 06:37 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:

It depends on the Steering Column Switch Housing you have! There are three connectors on the steering wheel mount side. AirBAG (Yellow) Buttons of the steering wheel (green) and the heater (white). 
If you do not have heated steering wheel from factory, your  Steering Column Switch Housing might not have the connector for the heating

Yes of course, I saw that I had to change the switch block to be able to have the heated steering wheel, but in the meantime I will leave the electrical connector of the heated steering wheel free while waiting to change the switch block. By the way, did you have an idea of the price for the switch? Are you in Europe or the USA?
I am in USA but It's not that expensive.  On ebay I see prices from $75to $150 used. The new ones are from $180 to $220 but the new ones does not have the software in them it requires reload which also costs at least $90 via VIDA +$85 3 days subscription. 
If you are in EU, it better for you buy a used one with the software already. Because as far as I know, individuals or private garages cannot purchase software directly from volvo.