Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control
(09-14-2023, 06:05 AM)marinalin85 Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 11:14 AM)Duffy Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 12:00 PM)BeachBoy Wrote: Mine is activated I have the button but have never seen it work so I have to dig into that

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It Works fine, only if Pilot Assist is active.
[Image: 4087e87b99ea368a282b2abc226f3cd2.jpg]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mine works with ACC as well. Might be something different
Could please share your configuration? 
Thanks
(09-15-2023, 03:14 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 06:05 AM)marinalin85 Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 11:14 AM)Duffy Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 12:00 PM)BeachBoy Wrote: Mine is activated I have the button but have never seen it work so I have to dig into that

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It Works fine, only if Pilot Assist is active.
[Image: 4087e87b99ea368a282b2abc226f3cd2.jpg]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mine works with ACC as well. Might be something different
Could please share your configuration? 
Thanks
Sure

023 Cruise Control: 04 Adaptive cruise control stop & go level 1
314 Adaptive Cruise Control Version: 02 ACC version 2
145 Traffic Jam Assist: 05 With Traffic Jam Assist, Level 4
238 Top Damping Brakes: 01 Friction Brake actuator without top damping
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
I have a 2022 B5 momentum s60, here is my config to activate ACC and PA

023 Cruise Control: 04 Adaptive cruise control stop & go level 1
314 Adaptive Cruise Control Version: 01 ACC version 1
145 Traffic Jam Assist: 04 With Traffic Jam Assist, Level 3
238 Top Damping Brakes: 01 Friction Brake actuator without top damping

Mostly works great. I didn't feel the " a little bit pulsing" when it brake for me, maybe the mild hybrid do have different hardware? 

I drove Volkswagen Tiguan, Toyota Corolla, Toyota RAV4 and Hyundai Tucson for months, and I tried out their ACC. The Corolla has the most advanced curve assistance, which will keep me in the lane in most of the time, and Tucson handles the front car in the most comfortable way. The S60's Pilot Assist is better than all of them when it works.

However I have a problem:  when approaching a red light, it sometimes can't detect the preceding stopped vehicles (no car icon is shown in the driver's display, above the steering wheel), so it doesn't decelerate. I had to hard brake by myself, which was scary. It makes me don't trust the system(at least city safty should be enabled?)

Plus a question, what's the phenomenon when city safety is activated? If it can't brake by itself, I couldn;t trust it any more.
As far as I know the Volvo PA/ACC is not designed to handle intersections/stop lights. It does handle stop and go traffic on the freeway, and maybe those seem like the same thing, but maybe not the same thing to the sensors and electronics in this car. IMO it's a system designed for the freeway and not quite good enough for off freeway use.

It's hard to say on collision mitigation, these systems are hard to "test". It's a paradox...if you are able to stop in time, then you didn't need it to activate. I don't know the sensitivity of the AAOS cars, it's not adjustable where on the Sensus car it's adjustable. I have gotten the warning a few times, when I was set to default. I don't want the car to interfere unless I am truly going to crash, so I've set my collision mitigation sensitivity to "late" ;-) 

All I have found is that the Volvo systems seems very unobtrusive, while rental Hondas and Toyotas flash and ding too much, could be my driving style hehe. I have taken my Volvo in a race track, I know what the activation feels like, and the "seat belt yank of death"...so I know the stuff works.
I don't remember the exact years / models but Volvo had a front radar on the grill for acc.  With intelliSafe launch, volvo replaced the radar with camera under the rear view mirror both for lane keep assist and ACC/ PA  "shooting 2 birds with 1 stone"  

This actually has brought exactly the limitation we are all mentioning. " Camera does not recognize the changes fast enough like the front radar therefore cannot react on it" 

I'll give another example. 
Many times on the road while ACC was following the car normally according to set distance, the car in front of me, pulls over or changes lane (to right or left wouldn't matter) for any reason.  The car icon on ACC display disappears thinking the road is free and my car accelerates although there is another car in front of me.  The problem is camera locked on the previous car that changed the lane and it takes time to lock on the second car. Many times especially in city, I have to hit the brakes my self because drivers always move to more free lane when approaching to traffic lights.  Well, we all do it, and many times we do it suddenly. 

The only mitigation I found for this, increase the following distance to max, it's annoying in the city traffic 40mph but that would give enough time to Camera to lock on the second car.  

I think this is exactly why, volvo returned the front radar with 2023 models.
(09-24-2023, 06:20 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I don't remember the exact years / models but Volvo had a front radar on the grill for acc.  With intelliSafe launch, volvo replaced the radar with camera under the rear view mirror both for lane keep assist and ACC/ PA  "shooting 2 birds with 1 stone"  

This actually has brought exactly the limitation we are all mentioning. " Camera does not recognize the changes fast enough like the front radar therefore cannot react on it" 

Many times on the road while ACC was following the car normally according to set distance, the car in front of me, pulls over or changes lane (to right or left wouldn't matter) for any reason.  The car icon on ACC display disappears thinking the road is free and my car accelerates although there is another car in front of me.  The problem is camera locked on the previous car that changed the lane and it takes time to lock on the second car. Many times especially in city, I have to hit the brakes my self because drivers always move to more free lane when approaching to traffic lights.  Well, we all do it, and many times we do it suddenly. 

The only mitigation I found for this, increase the following distance to max, it's annoying in the city traffic 40mph but that would give enough time to Camera to lock on the second car.  

My fathers Insignia does the same when the car in front switches lane but I can tell you that mine picks up faster than his Opel, and also his car has problem detecting the cars one the other lanes as well. His trying to accelerate when switching lane (sometimes) but the Volvo never if he sees another car in those lane
But yes, on highway (especially Germany where I drive quite fast) I keep the distance to max and in the city to the 2nd level but ALWAYS paying attention and getting ready to take over the brakes
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
(09-24-2023, 06:20 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I don't remember the exact years / models but Volvo had a front radar on the grill for acc.  With intelliSafe launch, volvo replaced the radar with camera under the rear view mirror both for lane keep assist and ACC/ PA  "shooting 2 birds with 1 stone"  

This is incorrect. The current SPA vehicles use a product co-developed by Delphi and Mobileye called "RaCam" which incorporates a long range radar and camera into one module. 

https://www.sae.org/news/2015/03/delphis...ety-suites

I think you’re thinking about Tesla. They’re the ones who got rid of radar in favor of a full camera implementation.

Volvo so far has been radar all the way along with camera for lane detection, signs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-11-2023, 12:23 AM)Partridge Wrote:

I think you’re thinking about Tesla. They’re the ones who got rid of radar in favor of a full camera implementation.

Volvo so far has been radar all the way along with camera for lane detection, signs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, VOLVO S60 move the integrated radar from the Camera location to the front pumper. from 2023+ models. 90 and xc60 series have this from 2022+ and XC40 2021+ .   Forward aimed Radar (FLR).   Some modules are used for multiple peeresses such as back corner sensors are used for BLIS and Cross Traffic Collision mitigation when backing up.   I don't know if VOLVO uses FLR for both collision mitigation and add  support to ACC.  Some models also have front corner radars (F. cross traffic).
<snip>

Volvo never removed radar. You asserted that they had in the SPA vehicles and that is a false statement. They have moved the radar to different locations over the years, but have never removed it.

Radar still has limited reaction time. Moving the radar from top of windshield to the front of the vehicle only changes what the radar can see. The radar system still takes time to analyze the changing environment and respond. I doubt the newer cars will respond better to traffic conditions, however I suspect they moved the radar to the front of the vehicle to help with pedestrian collision avoidance. It seems like in the SPA 2022+ (depending on model year) vehicles that Volvo has implemented a newer system which is better at day and night pedestrial collision avoidance.

I do not expect to see significant improvements in current generation systems until Lidar becomes viable. Unless you are tesla who has spent the last decade training AI models with camera data.