Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control
**UPDATED Aug 2023**

So you want to have Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control on your Volvo, not originally equipped? You can enable it with OrBit, the system uses software and equipment already in your car!(**)

Welcome to the NEW "How to enable ACC/PA" post! With the release of OrBit v0.7.7 this process has been made easier with the Config Presets. The Config Presets allow you to more easily change settings that require multiple individual settings to be changed. Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control has been one of those features that requires multiple settings. In addition to that, it has not been clear what "level" of each setting you should use.

I did a ton of research into which model years, which equipment etc. does Volvo use. To answer the question: "If my car had PA/ACC from the factory, what settings would it use?" Now OrBit can use information from the car itself, to set the right settings for PA/ACC for your car. First the basics, then I will explain the different options and why there are different options...

The basics of using the Config Presets for PA/ACC:
  • On the configurator tab, click the "Config Presets" button.
  • Choose an option from the drop down, from the range of "Cruise Control" settings (A good start is "Cruise Control - PA/ACC - Level 1")
  • Click "Apply Preset" button to apply the suggested Items to the configurator table
  • Close the Config Presets dialog
  • "Write to car" as usual

OrBit will essentially set the following items for you, to the best values for your car. You do not have to worry about whether you need to set "top damping" for brakes or what level of Traffic Jam Assist. OrBit will choose the right values that your model/year/drivetrain would have, if it was equipped with PA/ACC.
  • 023 CRUISE CONTROL
  • 145 TRAFFIC JAM ASSIST
  • 148 CURVE SPEED SUPPORT
  • 238 TOP DAMPING BRAKES

I know at this point you will have questions ;-) I have some answers...

Why the different "Levels" and "Curve Speed Assist"? - I found these settings are not based on technical capability, they vary based on the region of the car, the market is was destined for. The differences in settings may be to meet regulations or legal liability issues per country. Since OrBit allows you to choose freely what you like to enable, you have the option to set these how you like! I can tell you what I discovered through research.

"Level 1" vs "Level 2" - I don't know what the technical difference is. All I know is Japan market cars get "Level 2" and all other markets get "Level 1". If you figure out the difference, let us all know!

What about "Level 3"? - I haven't found any Volvos with PA that use that setting from the factory.

Curve Speed Support - This is a feature enabled only in some markets, Curve Speed Assist enabled. It seems to be based on whether the tech in the car supports estimating an appropriate curve speed per the region of the car. I found some information about this that may or may not be reliable: In Eastern Europe and perhaps some of Western Europe, the data to estimate proper curve speed comes directly from map data. In other parts of Europe and in North America, the system uses "Electronic Horizon" technology, which estimates proper curve speeds by analyzing the nav map data and doing some calculations. This feature seems hit or miss for most that try it. No harm in giving it a try see if it does anything for you!

What about Curve Speed Warning? - No Volvo I've found has this enabled from the factory. They only use the Curve Speed Assist with no warning. Maybe they planned this feature but never implemented it.

Traffic Jam Assist levels - These follow the systems and hardware in the car. OrBit will pick the correct one for your car. 

What about Item 314 - Adaptive Cruise Control Version? - I'd leave this alone, it describes the system that is in the car, whether it has PA/ACC from the factory or not, that doesn't change. Most all SPA are "ACC Version 1" with some of the latest cars coming with "ACC Version 2". No Volvos are using versions 3 and 4 that I found.

Can I change the settings to other ones? Yes, go right ahead! I just wanted to give you an easy way to set the "correct" settings on your car, the Config Presets give you that. You are welcome to play around with your car.

There are some other related settings I'll share my experiences (2019 S60 T6 R-Design)

149 ROAD SIGN INFORMATION - I've changed this to version "with SLA" to support Curve speed assist but I am not sure that has any effect where the North American market car would use Electronic Horizon.
155 SPEED WARNING - Disabled on my car original, I have enabled, this works
312 LANE CHANGE ASSIST - I'm not sure if this works on my own car, the feature from Volvo is not what you might think. It simply "speeds up" the car when you put the signal on to change lanes, while you are following another car with the PA/ACC set. It doesn't change lanes for you or anything fancy like that. 

(** )Volvo offers or has offered the "Intellisafe Assist" accessory for cars without PA to get it. On non-hybrid cars, they require a new ABS pump unit to be installed. It seems that a different unit was needed for the non-hybrid cars to have Pilot Assist. Not too much is known, other than this may be the unit with "top damping" we see in config. At any rate, while the software is there, and you can enable PA on an ICE model...Volvo doesn't support that without the ABS pump swap. We know it does work and has been fairly common to do, no known issue, but you should know it's AT YOUR OWN RISK! Personally I don't mind, I was curious about PA/ACC so enabled it, but I don't use it very much anyways
Thanks Power6. For 238, do you mean this change shall only be done for non hybrid car ?
I have a Micro Hybrid B4 from 2022, hence the question.
Yes correct, from what I know right now, I would not change 238 for the hybrid car ("B" ot "T" series) since those models use the "brake by wire" system that is the same, whether the car is equipped with Pilot Assist or not.

It would be a good data point, to note on your B4, what is the original setting of that config item, 02 or 01?
I did this yesterday (same settings) except 023 was changed to 04 instead.  Had about an hour of driving to play around with it, mixed conditions with stop and go, empty highways, etc.

Maybe I just don't like pilot assist but it was a bit wonky.  Wanders between the lane a bit on the highway which is OK but on secondary roads it is simply not trustworthy. Almost slammed into a curb when it just wandered out of the lane unexpectedly.  Going to move it back to 03 and see how it behaves.

Adaptive cruise works awesome, behaved as I would expect.  So happy to have this feature again.

Stop and go worked just alright--again I don't have a good baseline for how its supposed to be, I only have about a 20 min test drive using pilot assist a little (never trusted it then) and I had a loaner briefly with it (2022 XC60).  In dynamic it reallllly puts the hammer down then brakes abruptly.  Eco was pretty good though.  Other than that it functioned similarly to other systems I have driven with this feature.  Came to a stop and just needed a little tap of the gas to get going.

I did notice some very strange pulsations as the car was slowing that could be felt through the pedal and seat.  Felt like pad deposits.  With the system off I wasn't getting them.  Strange behavior and will keep testing.

I should have some long drives in the next week in various conditions to get a feel for it.  I bring all this up because I sense it may need a calibration to function 100% as intended and we still don't know why a different hydraulic unit is needed.  Curious what other people experience.
(02-02-2023, 05:09 PM)Power6 Wrote: Yes correct, from what I know right now, I would not change 238 for the hybrid car ("B" ot "T" series) since those models use the "brake by wire" system that is the same, whether the car is equipped with Pilot Assist or not.

It would be a good data point, to note on your B4, what is the original setting of that config item, 02 or 01?

Thanks. Let me check tonight or tomorrow what I have in 238 right now on my B4 without changing anything
As a data point, these are the original settings for my 2018 XC60 Inscription with Advanced Package and PA 2.0:

023 CRUISE CONTROL - 04 Adaptive cruise control stop & go, level 1
145 TRAFFIC JAM ASSIST - 03 With Traffic Jam Assist, Level 2
238 TOP DAMPING BRAKES - 02 Friction brake actuator with top damping
142 PARKING ASSISTANCE - 04 Parking assistance. Semi-Automatic Parking
148 CURVE SPEED SUPPORT - 01 Without Curve Speed Warning, without Curve Speed Assist
149 ROAD SIGN INFORMATION - 0E USA, Traffic Sign Information (TSI) without Speed Limit Adaptation (SLA)
312 LANE CHANGE ASSIST - 01 Without Lane Change Assist
314 ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL VERSION - 01 ACC Version 1

So far, I've only tried to enable Curve Speed Assist, first by changing 148 to "04 With Curve Speed Warning, with Curve Speed Assist". That made two buttons appear on the left-sliding screen, one for CSA and one for Curve Speed Warning, but the latter had a constant yellow warning icon, so I switched to "04 Without Curve Speed Warning, with Curve Speed Assist". Regardless, CSA does not appear to be working with either. Still testing though...

Oh, forgot to mention, I also changed 149 to "0F USA, Traffic Sign Information (TSI) with Speed Limit Adaptation (SLA)" and 036 ADJUSTABLE SPEED LIMITER to "03 ASL & AVSL", to enable the automatic speed limiter, which works perfectly.
2018 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription | Convenience, Vision, Luxury Seat, and Advanced packages | B&W + 4C Air Suspension
(02-02-2023, 05:15 PM)kraeburn Wrote: Maybe I just don't like pilot assist but it was a bit wonky.  Wanders between the lane a bit on the highway which is OK but on secondary roads it is simply not trustworthy. Almost slammed into a curb when it just wandered out of the lane unexpectedly.  Going to move it back to 03 and see how it behaves.

Adaptive cruise works awesome, behaved as I would expect.  So happy to have this feature again.

Stop and go worked just alright--again I don't have a good baseline for how its supposed to be, I only have about a 20 min test drive using pilot assist a little (never trusted it then) and I had a loaner briefly with it (2022 XC60).  In dynamic it reallllly puts the hammer down then brakes abruptly.  Eco was pretty good though.  Other than that it functioned similarly to other systems I have driven with this feature.  Came to a stop and just needed a little tap of the gas to get going.

I did notice some very strange pulsations as the car was slowing that could be felt through the pedal and seat.  Felt like pad deposits.  With the system off I wasn't getting them.  Strange behavior and will keep testing.

This mirrors my expereince with using PA. To me it drives a little bit like a "new teenager" with their driving permit. Makes you a little nervous sometimes. Mostly the steering sometimes puts you real close to one side of a lane. And then braking sometimes seems to be a little delayed and then it grabs pretty hard. 

I also have noticed that it feels a little bit "pulsing" only in PA as well. And I have my brake kit, and aftermarket pads that have absolutely none of the vibration issues of the OEM pads. But in PA there is a little feeling of that. No idea...maybe that's the lack of "top damping" in the hardware...
(02-02-2023, 06:24 PM)Power6 Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 05:15 PM)kraeburn Wrote: Maybe I just don't like pilot assist but it was a bit wonky.  Wanders between the lane a bit on the highway which is OK but on secondary roads it is simply not trustworthy. Almost slammed into a curb when it just wandered out of the lane unexpectedly.  Going to move it back to 03 and see how it behaves.

This mirrors my expereince with using PA. To me it drives a little bit like a "new teenager" with their driving permit. Makes you a little nervous sometimes. Mostly the steering sometimes puts you real close to one side of a lane. And then braking sometimes seems to be a little delayed and then it grabs pretty hard. 

I also have noticed that it feels a little bit "pulsing" only in PA as well. And I have my brake kit, and aftermarket pads that have absolutely none of the vibration issues of the OEM pads. But in PA there is a little feeling of that. No idea...maybe that's the lack of "top damping" in the hardware...

The pulsing is kind of acceptable because for me its an occasional use thing.  I think I will only use it in stop and go traffic on the highway which is really the best use case for pilot assist anyhow.

Its so much more mentally taxing to monitor it on a highway drive--but thats another discussion entirely.

Have you tried the other 023 settings?
This pulsing you refer to...

I have factory Pilot Assist and therefore the appropriate ABS unit and don't think I've ever experienced anything like what you are describing.

Anyone else with Factory PA experience it (not on a T8)?
(02-02-2023, 11:21 PM)silo24 Wrote: This pulsing you refer to...

I have factory Pilot Assist and therefore the appropriate ABS unit and don't think I've ever experienced anything like what you are describing.

Anyone else with Factory PA experience it (not on a T8)?

Which model do you have ?

Data point from mine, XC60 B4 2022 without intellisafe / Pilot assist :

023 CRUISE CONTROL - 01 WIth Cruise COntrol ===> should I go to 03 (ACC level 1) or 04 with Stop and Go ? I wonder what it does. I Think 2022 models are able to do that

145 TRAFFIC JAM ASSIST - 01 WIthout Traffic Jam Assist. ==> I should probably go to 03, level 2 If i see what Gabep has on a 2018 XC60 
238 TOP DAMPING BRAKES - 01 Friction brake actuator without top damping ==> That's where I am doubting if according to Power6 I should not touch it or match Gabep config and go to 02
148 CURVE SPEED SUPPORT - 01 Without Curve Speed Warning, without Curve Speed Assist
149 ROAD SIGN INFORMATION - 08 Mid EU, Traffic Sign Information without speed
312 LANE CHANGE ASSIST - 01 Without Lane Change Assist
314 ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL VERSION - 01 ACC Version 1 ==> I struggle to understand this one. It's the same value at Gabep yet I have no ACC on mine, only regular cruise control , not sure if I shall change that to get Pilot Assist

Thanks all, great to exchange about the config ! Curious to see if a 2022/23 model with PA / intelissafe can share its config