Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BE ADVISED! VIDA detects any module replacement or addition!
YMAY let me not to be agree with you.  I don't want Volvo or any dealer to fix my car, but in some conditions i might be forced to upgrade or reload some ECUs. I can do this by my self, but Volvo has monopol on software, and i don't have were to buy them, and how to install them without Vida. I want and i can fix my car by myself, i know what parts i need to fix my car, i know what software i need. Why is normal that Vida  "look" for any modification and force me to make reload/ remove if i don't ask for, and i don't want? Why is normal that Volvo/Vida look in my car config , when is my car, my property for i had paid?
I don't know how is in your country, but in Romania is legal to change audio system, interrior, styling the car, etc
 And also in Romania, insurance company has the obligation to repair your car  how it was before the accident. In my case i put the  sport body kit from Volvo Accessories (front and rear lips, sills, dual exhaust and trims for exhaust), that doesn't appears anywere. That's means if i have an accident insurance company doesn't repair my car because are not shown by my car VIN?
2019 Volvo V60
(08-13-2024, 08:58 PM)paunionutz Wrote: YMAY let me not to be agree with you.  I don't want Volvo or any dealer to fix my car, but in some conditions i might be forced to upgrade or reload some ECUs. I can do this by my self, but Volvo has monopol on software, and i don't have were to buy them, and how to install them without Vida. I want and i can fix my car by myself, i know what parts i need to fix my car, i know what software i need. Why is normal that Vida  "look" for any modification and force me to make reload/ remove if i don't ask for, and i don't want? Why is normal that Volvo/Vida look in my car config , when is my car, my property for i had paid?
I don't know how is in your country, but in Romania is legal to change audio system, interrior, styling the car, etc
 And also in Romania, insurance company has the obligation to repair your car  how it was before the accident. In my case i put the  sport body kit from Volvo Accessories (front and rear lips, sills, dual exhaust and trims for exhaust), that doesn't appears anywere. That's means if i have an accident insurance company doesn't repair my car because are not shown by my car VIN?

Some countries has laws for "Fix your own car" like US and Canada. Government forces manufactures to make all fixing information and tools available for consumers.  "Available" means for purchase or for free which is up to manufacturer.  The word "Fixing" means, according to manufacturer guide lines.  VOLVO or any other manufacturer do not have any obligation to provide you individual flashing files for ECUs.  
Now, VOLVO does not like some random dude modify their software inside the ECUs VOLVO considers it is a safety risk so, they block the cars which has software configuration modifications.  If you replace a faulty ECU with a second hand one that already has software loaded on it, VOLVO does not block the CAR. It just does not perform total upgrade for a very simple reason! In order to upgrade any software, first you need to know the existing one to make sure that the upgrade can be applied on it.  VOLVO does not take chances, it forces reload software on the replaced ECUs and then allows total upgrade.  Reloading the software after ECU replacement or performing total upgrade or not, is up to you! Unlike Apple, VOLVO does not force any owner to do software updates.  
You can do anything with your car in any car country it's your own risk but don't expect any manufacturer to support your own ambitions! 
Regarding the insurance, every country has different regulations, laws and policies.  Here in the USA,  we provide the VIN number of the car, Insurance companies are obligated to fix the according to VIN number unless, an owner installed a 10k sound system and declared it at the beginning of the insurance policy. If the owner does not declare it, insurance does not have to pay anything. Otherwise, everyone could claim that they had 20k audio system. Here in USA, insurance companies have the right to choose not to insure at all.
If  Vida scan my car, and compare modules with the original, and then put those in a modification tab, and not let me do another update before those, is just like Apple
2019 Volvo V60
(08-14-2024, 03:25 AM)paunionutz Wrote: If  Vida scan my car, and compare modules with the original, and then put those in a modification tab, and not let me do another update before those, is just like Apple

Not really! Apple forces its consumer to update their devices otherwise applications stop working! If you have a old Tablet, even the latest OS is too old to install simple applications like you tube. Apple deliberately turns the old devices like ipad 2 into bricks. 
There is no online VIDA. Regardless if you ever replaced an ECU or not, It's up to you connecting the CAR to VIDA or not. It's up to you  performing total upgrade or not. Your car will continue to operate as it was until it dies!
If i have a dead ECU, how can i reload software without Vida? The answer is that i can't, and if is ecm, bcm or tcm, the car doesn't start. So... to fix my car, and become a brick, i have to connect Vida, because i don't have another choice. Then Vida find my other ECUs, and force me to pay for reload/ remove, if i only want to do ECM reload
2019 Volvo V60
(08-15-2024, 07:23 PM)paunionutz Wrote: If i have a dead ECU, how can i reload software without Vida? The answer is that i can't, and if is ecm, bcm or tcm, the car doesn't start. So... to fix my car, and become a brick, i have to connect Vida, because i don't have another choice. Then Vida find my other ECUs, and force me to pay for reload/ remove, if i only want to do ECM reload

First off all you are again mixing up things!  In almost every modern car you cannot replace  cem, ecm, bcm, abs, or tcm from a used car as is. They are all coded to VIN number and other ECUs in the car. The car wouldn't even start, wouldn't be able to turn on the ignition or would not run correctly.  This is NOT unique to VOLVO.  
In order to replace a used ECU one of those, you will need to remove some chips from the original ECU and replace them on the used one.  VIDA would not allow to reload software on used   cem, ecm, bcm, abs, and tcm.  because of security reasons.  But you still have the right to purchase a new ECU, install it on your own car and reload it by yourself! Like I did with my BCM to have the official PA with the top dumping hydraulic unit.   According to your logic, any handy man can go and steal cars with their used ECUs just by replacing it and drive away with their own keys!
I'm not mixing anything. I didn't say used ECM. I buy new ECM, i have to do reload because is blank, and i only want ECM reload, and Volvo force me to make reload/remove to other modules that detects
2019 Volvo V60
(08-16-2024, 04:45 AM)paunionutz Wrote: I'm not mixing anything. I didn't say used ECM. I buy new ECM, i have to do reload because is blank, and i only want ECM reload, and
The simple answer is NO. You are mixing up things again!  The only thing you must do before connecting the car to VIDA, is restoring your custom ORBIT / VDASH  configuration to OEM! 
Volvo will NOT force you to reload/remove other modules that VIDA detects before the ECM reload.  You can reload ONLY the new ECM and your car will operate as it was! 
You also need to understand one thing. Reloading a single ECU does not mean it only updates particular ECU.  There are several different procedures that VIDA runs while software reload. 
Those procedures includes updating other ECUs that communicates with the reloaded ECU.
(07-15-2024, 08:19 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Let's say you have added motion sensor which is not an option in US market thus VIDA does not even show it as an accessory! However,,  if you leave the motion sensor connected while VIDA reads the car,  you will get to options in the hardware changes TAB. 
1) remove IMS  >  costs $35
2) IMS reload > costs $250 (Makes the movement sensors official although the IMS is not an option for USA VIN.)

Have you tried to purchase the $250 IMS reload? I was curious if lets you install. I also added an IMS module on my North American XC40 Recharge, but have yet to connect to VIDA. Are you required to “remove” before “reloading” a module?
(08-21-2024, 05:30 PM)A-P Wrote:
(07-15-2024, 08:19 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Let's say you have added motion sensor which is not an option in US market thus VIDA does not even show it as an accessory! However,,  if you leave the motion sensor connected while VIDA reads the car,  you will get to options in the hardware changes TAB. 
1) remove IMS  >  costs $35
2) IMS reload > costs $250 (Makes the movement sensors official although the IMS is not an option for USA VIN.)

Have you tried to purchase the $250 IMS reload? I was curious if lets you install. I also added an IMS module on my North American XC40 Recharge, but have yet to connect to VIDA. Are you required to “remove” before “reloading” a module?

Yes, it lets you purchase and install it.  It would be best just to disconnect it before read out from VIDA otherwise you will end up wasting $250 tor $50. 
If you do a readout without disconnecting it,  VIDA would show two options under HW changes. 
1) Reload IMS.  $250 Does not worth it. 
2) Remove IMS. $50 complete waste. (avoided by disconnecting the IMS before the FIRST VIDA readout)
Even if you disconnect the IMS, wait 24 hours then do a new VIDA readout, VIDA would still show "IMS remove" under HW changes TAB.