Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
V90/XC90/S90 HK AUD .VBF Files
Thank you.
I just want to see if there are any improvements. The Gen2 has three extra channels and speakers with silver cones. I know I'll have to run extra wires for the centre speaker and for the front doors, but that's not a problem. I already did it when I swapped HP for B&W.
There might be some sort of improvements by separating the MIDs and highs on the amp level rather using condensers on the speakers. But I doubt if you can really noticed the difference by listening to gen1 and gen2.  In order to compare apples to apples, you need to have the same audio source, same settings (Bass, treble, sub-wofer levels and equalizer).  
If you already have B&W gen1, I don't think it worth all the work and not to mention replacement of the center speaker on the dash.
So I check both B&W Gen1 and Gen2 amps for XC90.

The B&W Gen1 amp has software:
Code:
DID Result for AUD
F12E - ECU Software Part Numbers

Total number of ECU Software Part Numbers:

SWLM:
31456884 AC 

SWP1_Local Configuration Parameters:
31456984 AA 

Raw hex data:

B&W Gen2:
Code:
DID Result for AUD
F12E - ECU Software Part Numbers

Total number of ECU Software Part Numbers:

SWLM:
32264828 AA 

SWP1_Local Configuration Parameters:
00000000  A 

Raw hex data:

Can anyone please confirm the software version for B&W Gen2? 
I'm concerned about the SWP1_Local Configuration Parameters for Gen2 (00000000  A). Does it mean the amp has not been used and is new?
When I installed the amp in the XC90, all the speakers played but the MIDs and HIGHs sounded much louder and I could barely hear the subwoofer. I guess I'll have to switch the yellow cone speakers to silver ones as well. But I want to ensure the amp is working properly.
Which MIDs and Highs are louder? Front door or rear door? 
On front doors, gen2 has MIDs and High separated.  This means the minimum output impedance of the AUD for each channel might be lower than gen1. 

MIDs and Highs are in parallel on Gen1, the total resistance of the (MID +HIGH) speakers are little bit more than 6 ohms.  If I remember correctly.  
You need to know what is the resistance of the new gen2  MIDs and tweeters then you need to match them with your current speakers. But still, you will need to rewire the fronts.  For the rear ones, you need to measure the combine resistance of the gen2 and then match yours if there is a difference. 

As I said in the beginning, unless you got the gen2 AUD for free, it does not worth it if you already have gen1 B&W.
(06-23-2024, 04:15 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Which MIDs and Highs are louder? Front door or rear door? 
On front doors, gen2 has MIDs and High separated.  This means the minimum output impedance of the AUD for each channel might be lower than gen1. 

MIDs and Highs are in parallel on Gen1, the total resistance of the (MID +HIGH) speakers are little bit more than 6 ohms.  If I remember correctly.  
You need to know what is the resistance of the new gen2  MIDs and tweeters then you need to match them with your current speakers. But still, you will need to rewire the fronts.  For the rear ones, you need to measure the combine resistance of the gen2 and then match yours if there is a difference. 

As I said in the beginning, unless you got the gen2 AUD for free, it does not worth it if you already have gen1 B&W.

IMAY2023, thank you. You are absolutely right.
They are all louder (center and front - much, rear and celling - less) with the Gen2 amp. I see that the speakers in the front doors and the center speaker don't have capacitors in Gen 2. That's ok, I can replace them on occasion. I have several speakers with silver cone, but not a full set
But what about the amp's software?
(06-23-2024, 05:41 PM)m17083 Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 04:15 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Which MIDs and Highs are louder? Front door or rear door? 

IMAY2023, thank you. You are absolutely right.
They are all louder (center and front - much, rear and celling - less) with the Gen2 amp. I see that the speakers in the front doors and the center speaker don't have capacitors in Gen 2. That's ok, I can replace them on occasion. I have several speakers with silver cone, but not a full set
But what about the amp's software?

Your AUD already has the software inside it. You don't need to change it. As far as I know, the software inside the gen2 B&W is same for both 60 and 90 series. The wiring and the channel outputs of the gen2 B&W AUD are same for both 60 and 90.  The only difference is the MID range on the rear doors which are parallel to tweeter. Now, there might be some configuration changes where MID frequency is moved from low (woofer) to High (tweeter) and the rear door woofer on 60 series are different than 90 series since on 60 series it responds to wider frequency range than the woofer on 90 series. 

Having said all this. 
There might be some differences in the IHU's software "Sound Experience" application. 
The IHU is connected to AUD via MOSTs the commands are sent to AUD from the IHU. Now, your current IHU might send commands to AUD that are not recognized by the gen2 B&W.  For example: My IHU does not have the Juzz club. It has the concert hall. If I connect gen2 B&W, it might not work.  Or the Equalizer frequencies might be different on your IHU but gen2 IHUs are different.  For example, when I changed the setting to premium audio, without replacing the HK AUD with B&W one, the basic audio settings worked perfectly. The sound was pre-amped much better, However, the sound experience app was acting weird. The AUD was not always reacting to changes between studio or surround.   
Of course that is just a possibility,
Well, that's very good news. Now there is room for creativity).

I think the woofer speakers and the subwoofer are the same in Gen1 and Gen2. The tweeters in the rear doors are identical. The tweeters in the front doors are different, but I want to try to cut capacitors and listen. The midrange and surround speakers will have to be changed.
You are correct about the IHU. It doesn't have a Jazz mode and I have a question about the subwoofer settings because I almost don't hear it with the Gen2 amp.

Thanks for your help and good explanation. I will share a result at the end.
Looks like the v60 HK amp i bought was in fact a V90 HK amp, would anybody have the v60 HK file to share with me? Would be lovely to kill my open speaker faults.
V60 2020 
(07-28-2024, 07:37 PM)Pliind Wrote: Looks like the v60 HK amp i bought was in fact a V90 HK amp, would anybody have the v60 HK file to share with me? Would be lovely to kill my open speaker faults.

Drop an email to support,
(06-23-2024, 08:59 PM)m17083 Wrote: Well, that's very good news. Now there is room for creativity).

I think the woofer speakers and the subwoofer are the same in Gen1 and Gen2. The tweeters in the rear doors are identical. The tweeters in the front doors are different, but I want to try to cut capacitors and listen. The midrange and surround speakers will have to be changed.
You are correct about the IHU. It doesn't have a Jazz mode and I have a question about the subwoofer settings because I almost don't hear it with the Gen2 amp.

Thanks for your help and good explanation. I will share a result at the end.

(07-28-2024, 07:37 PM)Pliind Wrote: Looks like the v60 HK amp i bought was in fact a V90 HK amp, would anybody have the v60 HK file to share with me? Would be lovely to kill my open speaker faults.

Interestingly enough, I have a V90 and I went from HP to HK. I got my donor HK amp from an XC60 and was able to flash it with the proper V90 configuration. All the speakers work as expected, but I still have the B1A06 and B1A08 DTCs.