Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BE ADVISED! VIDA detects any module replacement or addition!
(07-08-2024, 07:17 PM)OrangePower Wrote: This is a little worrying. In which case do you need VIDA? Which upgrade are you talking about? A complete system upgrade? Why is an upgrade necessary? In what case do you need system upgrade?
I installed the trailer module and retrofit towbar. Does that mean I can expect problems? 
What about enabling software options such as Sensus navigation and androidAuto and AppleCarplay? Is this software option also going to make problems?

Software mods are not affected. So anything that doesn't require hardware is 100% OK. You should restore before a dealer visit where possible.
have i got it right. so if i go to the dealer with non oem hardware it will need a lot of reloads. but will other software also be restricted. like cem reloade. and Park pilot assist accessory install for an example.

btw i saw somone mention that volvo has removed park pilot assist as an retrofit option. i spoke with the dealer and the software is stil avalible in thire system just not the complet kit
(07-15-2024, 06:44 PM)Eilert Wrote: have i got it right. so if i go to the dealer with non oem hardware it will need a lot of reloads. but will other software also be restricted. like cem reloade. and Park pilot assist accessory install for an example.

btw i saw somone mention that volvo has removed park pilot assist as an retrofit option. i spoke with the dealer and the software is stil avalible in thire system just not the complet kit

Shorth answer is "no" 
" so if i go to the dealer with non oem hardware it will need a lot of reloads."  >> The amount of the forced hardware changes "reload software" depends on the amount of the control modules you have retrofitted.  But be careful with this. If the retrofitted ECU's diagnostic number does not listed as compatible to your VIN on the VOLVO servers, it won't reload it to the car after you purchase the software. In this case you will need to ask for refund. 

For example: I replaced my original s60 HK AUD with gen1 B&W AUD from s90.  If I had left  " B&W AUD from s90" connected, VIDA would have forced me to reload the AUD before allowing me to perform total upgrade but at the same time, it wouldn't have let me install (reload) the purchased AUD reload software on the ECU after purchasing it. It would have complained about the software does not match the ECU on the car!.  
I don't know if I would have the same issue if my retrofitted B&W AUD was from an s / xc /v 60.   

"  but will other software also be restricted. like cem reloade. and Park pilot assist accessory install for an example."  No. You can still reload any module but there is no point to reload an unchanged or an ECU which does not have any issues.  Each reload costs money!   
You can still purchase and and install any available software in the features TAB.  The available software in features TAB is updated by VOLVO. For example, Polestar upgrade was available until 2022 (if I recall correctly)  but now it's not.  

On the other hand,
Let's say you have added motion sensor which is not an option in US market thus VIDA does not even show it as an accessory! However,,  if you leave the motion sensor connected while VIDA reads the car,  you will get to options in the hardware changes TAB. 
1) remove IMS  >  costs $35
2) IMS reload > costs $250 (Makes the movement sensors official although the IMS is not an option for USA VIN.)

Regarding park assist pilot. 
I installed it officially when it was available back in 2022 and wired the 4 additional sensors myself.  But I purchased and installed the software before I installed the sensors. My parking sensors did not work at all until I completed the installation. It was giving massage "park assist is not available service needed".  
I don't know if it is still available in the config changes (features) TAB or if VIDA would detect the additional sensors with the OEM config and list it in the HW or configuration changes like it did for IMS in my case.
It will make all of us to learn the layout of the fuses by heart Wink
It shall be enough to pull out the fuses so the units do not boot up.
Might (or will) result in DTCs but should not prevent from update (am I right?)
It depends on the type of the ECUs and if VIDA allows to perform total upgrade when an ECUs / controller is not responding.
I  wonder what happens if i go to the dealer for some reason,  with all the changes on the car (with no error), and they will broke my car with all this software (music, headlights, park assist, bliss, fog lights, electric seat,  etc). I will say that i bought the car with this options, with no error, and now doesn't work. What should they do? They can't say that the car wasn't equiped, because the car is equiped and worked before their software, and i won't get the car back with broken headlights, no music, no parking sensors, etc
2019 Volvo V60
They have official car outfit with all mods done by authorised dealers. If it is not on the server it does not exist. Same thing anyone can go to them, pay for software update and claim their car was fully equipped. It doesn't work like that I think.

Wysłane z mojego CPH2581 przy użyciu Tapatalka
(08-12-2024, 07:09 PM)Sieluck Wrote: They have official car outfit with all mods done by authorised dealers. If it is not on the server it does not exist. Same thing anyone can go to them, pay for software update and claim their car was fully equipped. It doesn't work like that I think.

It all depends on the VOLVO's internal policy but don't be confused with what could or would an authorized volvo service install or enable on the car and what is actually possible. 
A very simple example:
In the US market Alarm is offered as an option but without internal motion sensor. Even if you go to the dealer, they would say no.  However, If you buy a used motion sensor and install it yourself. (plug and play) and then connect the VIDA. VIDA will detect the IMS and will give you option to reload IMS. costs $250 USD. Which makes it official. 

Same as you can retrofit WAM module for 360 instead of offered or already installed reverse camera although 360 camera is not an option as a retrofit accessory. VIDA would detect it and you can reload the software as long as the WAM ECU's part number is suitable for your VIN.  But again dealer would not install it because it's not an officially offered accessory and I don't know how much WAM reload costs! 

On the other hand, 
Retrofitted factory fog lights. The front bumper harness has the connectors but from the front bumper to the CEM, there is no wiring. I wired them myself. But then, I needed to use Orbit to enable them. CEM doe not detect and report it to VIDA because the FOG light pins are disabled.  VOLVO does not offer fog light as retrofitted accessory for SPA and CMA thus there is no application part number for it. However, VOLVO offers fog light retrofit for older models officially. 

There is also something called "configuration change" which allows certain configuration changes to become official as long as the changed configurations are accepted by VOLVO. 
This option is risky! First, you will be taking the risk of certain blockage by VOLVO, they might or might not unblock the car with the modified configurations or they might say, revert to original and then they would unblock the car or also possible, they would reject unblocking the car under any circumstances.
(08-12-2024, 07:09 PM)Sieluck Wrote: They have official car outfit with all mods done by authorised dealers. If it is not on the server it does not exist. Same thing anyone can go to them, pay for software update and claim their car was fully equipped. It doesn't work like that I think.

I don't think is quite like this. If i have a full functional car, you can't bring me back an broken car, because an official outfit. If i sell my car, with all his options, and don't tell the buyer that are not all  factory  and he goes to the dealer, and they broke the car, who is in fault? I gave him a perfect car, with all options, and worked perfect without errors, and after dealer software (not asked by the client, and forced by the dealer to do it), the car is not working any more (properly).  How could they charge the client to replace headlights,  mirrors, seats, music (aud+ speakers+ wiring), keyless not working, foglights not working. We speak 5000 euro parts and labour (at the dealer), for something that worked before their softaware. He can't acuse me, because i sold him a perfect car, the dealer broked. Plus if client goes with adaptive headlights, they can't put him normal headlights and charge him. What about the rest of parts? In my case bliss sensors. They will remove from the car, otherways Vida will detect them at every connections.
(08-12-2024, 09:02 PM)paunionutz Wrote:

I don't think is quite like this. If i have a full functional car, you can't bring me back an broken car, because an official outfit. If i sell my car, with all his options, and don't tell the buyer that are not all  factory  and he goes to the dealer, and they broke the car, who is in fault? I gave him a perfect car, with all options, and worked perfect without errors, and after dealer software (not asked by the client, and forced by the dealer to do it), the car is not working any more (properly).  How could they charge the client to replace headlights,  mirrors, seats, music (aud+ speakers+ wiring), keyless not working, foglights not working. We speak 5000 euro parts and labour (at the dealer), for something that worked before their softaware. He can't acuse me, because i sold him a perfect car, the dealer broked. Plus if client goes with adaptive headlights, they can't put him normal headlights and charge him. What about the rest of parts? In my case bliss sensors. They will remove from the car, otherways Vida will detect them at every connections.
You are mixing up things! 
First of all blocking a car for software downloads and for an ECU reload or total upgrade does not mean breaking the car! VIDA blocks a car for software download or ECU reload if only VIDA detects CEM configuration change by third party like Vdash or Orbit. The car will continue to operate as exactly it was before VIDA readout!  
If VIDA detects an ECU or module which wasn't part of the original built or reads a second hand replaced ECU (AUD, IHU, IMS etc.), VIDA will not allow a total upgrade until all the HW changes are reloaded.  Again, this is not called blocking the car nor breaking the car. Everything will continue to operate as it was before the VIDA read out. 

Now, you are writing a novel that someone configures and upgrades a car and sells it someone without disclosing the history! First of all this is called fraud and being a con artist! 
Second,  it's up to VOLVO to unblock the car or not and under what conditions!  Most likely VOLVO would require to reload the CEM "loosing all custom config" before unblocking it. 
Third, VOLVO or any other make do not have any obligation to fix or service a customized car even it's under warranty! Altering factory configuration or adding/replacing an ECU / module breaks the warranty!  You can argue that you did not know, it's not theirs it's your problem to solve! VOLVO or any other manufacturer might or might not choose to help you! 

If your car involves in an accident, your insurance company will fix the car according to original factory equipment based on VIN unless you've disclosed all the retrofitted items. In that case, insurance company may or may not insure a modified car! Still it's the buyer's responsibility to check the car and verified the equipment list.