Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Suspension Calibration
(03-09-2023, 06:53 PM)Partridge Wrote: Let me know if you need any more data. I assume the read function is purely diagnostic and I can’t cause any trouble by asking the car for the info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, reading is no problem, doesn't change anything. I am working through the process. One difficulty I'll have to deal with is how the process can go. I think VIDA is drawing the "correct" ride height from service info in VIDA. For OrBit I need to design something useful where we may not have the "official" ride height specs available. Although it maybe not too difficult to add the info for the few models with air suspension, I am thinking we would have possibly only 2 variations: XC60 and XC90, and a third if this works for the rear only V90. But there possibly could be more variations within the models, to account for. 

Does anyone have the service info for the ride height specs for the XC90 or XC60? I don't have them but I know the specs are in the service info, I have them for the S/V60 models. There are only 3 total variations of ride height spec for those: Police, dynamic chassis and sport/Polestar chassis. Across all drivetrains and such, ride height specs are the same so that's promising. I can get VIDA and get them if needed but if anyone already has them...
(03-12-2023, 04:43 PM)Power6 Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 06:53 PM)Partridge Wrote: Let me know if you need any more data. I assume the read function is purely diagnostic and I can’t cause any trouble by asking the car for the info?

Oh yeah, reading is no problem, doesn't change anything. I am working through the process. One difficulty I'll have to deal with is how the process can go. I think VIDA is drawing the "correct" ride height from service info in VIDA. For OrBit I need to design something useful where we may not have the "official" ride height specs available. Although it maybe not too difficult to add the info for the few models with air suspension, I am thinking we would have possibly only 2 variations: XC60 and XC90, and a third if this works for the rear only V90. But there possibly could be more variations within the models, to account for. 

Does anyone have the service info for the ride height specs for the XC90 or XC60? I don't have them but I know the specs are in the service info, I have them for the S/V60 models. There are only 3 total variations of ride height spec for those: Police, dynamic chassis and sport/Polestar chassis. Across all drivetrains and such, ride height specs are the same so that's promising. I can get VIDA and get them if needed but if anyone already has them...

I can't remember where I got the document below, but the height specs are shown in page four. The doc is for an XC90 but the values are the same for my XC60.

Attached Files
.pdf   Suspension.pdf (Size: 998.4 KB / Downloads: 45)
2018 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription | Convenience, Vision, Luxury Seat, and Advanced packages | B&W + 4C Air Suspension
I looked through that...I think it only has the "relative" heights, not the ride height spec (the height from center of wheel to the fender lip). No worries though, I am working on building it, I will get to VIDA and get all the height specs to integrate, I can easily add that once I got the components built.
FYI I am about halfway through integrating the "Suspension Calibration" process. It's a bit of a bear to work all the parts out. However, the VIDA log is great, it has the height measurements entered and the original specs compared. So I definitely have the info for the XC60 already. At the core of it, the process is not complicated, a "calibration string" is created, and written to the SUM. The steps to get to that point are where the "work" is: a number of checks VIDA does to verify the car is on level ground, not on a lift, not jacked up, the system is enabled and working etc, then having you measure the heights and input them.

This may or may not "make" the next update. When it does it will probably be "experimental" will need people to test it. I don't think it's much of a worry about messing anything up, just test getting through the process without any OrBit errors. Ultimately we are just writing small "offsets" to the SUM to trim the heights of each wheel. I am sure I can make an easy interface to handle the desired "lowering" while you do the calibration as normal, without need to do any math in your head like "fooling" VIDA.
(03-19-2023, 03:39 PM)Power6 Wrote: FYI I am about halfway through integrating the "Suspension Calibration" process. It's a bit of a bear to work all the parts out. However, the VIDA log is great, it has the height measurements entered and the original specs compared. So I definitely have the info for the XC60 already. At the core of it, the process is not complicated, a "calibration string" is created, and written to the SUM. The steps to get to that point are where the "work" is: a number of checks VIDA does to verify the car is on level ground, not on a lift, not jacked up, the system is enabled and working etc, then having you measure the heights and input them.

This may or may not "make" the next update. When it does it will probably be "experimental" will need people to test it. I don't think it's much of a worry about messing anything up, just test getting through the process without any OrBit errors. Ultimately we are just writing small "offsets" to the SUM to trim the heights of each wheel. I am sure I can make an easy interface to handle the desired "lowering" while you do the calibration as normal, without need to do any math in your head like "fooling" VIDA.

That's great news, I will test it when it gets released Smile
Awesome!

Very excited
So I got phase 1 of this done...a major update to OrBit is coming soon! It will be included. Phase 1 will be the "calibration prep" step, so I can collect some of the log data from cars, to verify preparing and checking the suspension is ready to measure, works.

It turns out the actual "calibration" itself is rather simple, I had to reverse engineer the data string, but it was not hard to do. Most of the work VIDA does is in the preparation to decide whether you "require" calibration or not. 

I'll update once the next update is released and have you guys test it to collect the data so I can verify things are good, then I will make a quick update to add  Phase 2, the measurements entry and send the calibration string, with OrBit exclusive lowering or raising feature for those who want that ;-)
could you also please explain what exactly this feature would help to do, maybe some use cases. Thanks!

Quote:In VIDA there is a suspension calibration routine that can be run to correct any imbalances.

how do I know if there is an imbalance? or how frequently this should be done? also when the car is started with "Easy Entry/Exit Control" enabled, then it feels like the car is rebalancing each time

Quote:Some people are using it to spoof the car into lowering itself.

in polestar mode through Orbit it lowers the car too, is going even lower safe?

XC90 B5(D) early 2023
(03-21-2023, 09:59 PM)anton Wrote: could you also please explain what exactly this feature would help to do, maybe some use cases. Thanks!

Quote:In VIDA there is a suspension calibration routine that can be run to correct any imbalances.

how do I know if there is an imbalance? or how frequently this should be done? also when the car is started with "Easy Entry/Exit Control" enabled, then it feels like the car is rebalancing each time

Quote:Some people are using it to spoof the car into lowering itself.

in polestar mode through Orbit it lowers the car too, is going even lower safe?

XC90 B5(D) early 2023

In a car with air suspension, each air spring is adjustable by the car individually. In order to tell how high the car is, there is a sensor at each corner that reads the position of the suspension arm.

The sensors make sure that the car “knows” the position of the suspension at each corner. The car lowers and raises the suspension depending on the drive mode.

There is a calibration routine which will make sure the car knows what reading from a sensor corresponds to what height of the car. So that way the techs can correct the vehicle if one corner is too high or low.

We can feed the car slightly incorrect calibration data such that it thinks that it is higher off the ground than it actually is. If you tell the car that it is 1cm higher than reality, it will lower itself 1cm lower than it normally would.

So instead of using lowering links to mess with the sensors or using a piggyback control unit to modify the signals going to suspension module, we should be able to do it all in software.