Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control
<snip>

Well, you can check in the VIDA too. Yes, volvo used to have the radar on the front grill.  Then VOLVO added lane keep assit camera, with that they combined the front grill radar and the camera into one single unit. That's what I mean. With the 2021+ they again separated the Camera and the radar. Now the radar is moved back to front grill.  The reason is simple, the response time and false detections increased when the radar and the camera were combined into single unit.
<snip>

Once again, misinformation. The P3 cars, namely the XC60 that had radar based cruise control (Forward Aimed Radar(FLR))  also had a camera (Forward Sensing Module (FSM)) mounted behind the windshield. This was the collision avoidance package in 2010 and later named the Technology Package. You could not get the system with ACC without camera which assists with identifying objects, road lines, speed signs and pedestrians. This system is different from the CitySafety System which used straight ahead Lidar (Closing Velocty Module(CVM)) and was standard after 2012 I think. The P3 cars (with collision avoidance) used a mobileye Gen 2 camera in the FSM behind the rear view mirror and a radar unit in the grill. The SPA cars used a MobilEye Gen 3 camera with a long range 76 ghz radar both mounted in a single unit (RaCam) behind the rear view mirror. The newer cars have split the two
again. I don't know why, but I'm not expecting fireworks from the new system. 

I am attaching the VIDA for the collision avoidance system and circled in yellow the camera used (FSM)

Here is a EuroNcap test of an Audi which has TWO!!!!! front grill mounted radar. Does about the same as the SPA cars with windshield mounted radar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUoCKZXj8XU

Here is 2018 V60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuxundRB1zM

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

<snip>
I am talking about SPA cars. not older P3 As I mentioned, P3  cars has it on the pumper.  My car is s60 2019. It does not have front radar on the front bumper grill.  VOLVO moved the front radar from the front grill into the camera module combined inside the cabin for SPA S60 models from 2019 to 2022.   here you go front radar calibration for XC90 for years ago before it moved to pumper from 2022. Models.
Folks, please be mindful of quoting quote upon quote. Makes it really difficult to follow.
Quote is designed for you to highlight  specifics and respond rather than the whole body of the message.

Facts trump assumptions. But try to keep in relevant to OrBit and its functions.
All SPA cars have had integrated Radar and Camera on windshield (RaCam) until 2022. Volvo has never sold a car that only had radar and did not have a camera.
(10-13-2023, 05:26 PM)glennda5id Wrote: All SPA cars have had integrated Radar and Camera on windshield (RaCam) until 2022. Volvo has never sold a car that only had radar and did not have a camera.

But more to the point of what this person is saying, they have never tried to implement their safety features using cameras only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never said, SPA cars did not have front radar. 
I said, VOLVO tried to combine both radar and the camera into single unit located inside cabin with the first SPA cars 
Now, with the new SPAs  (cars with android), Volvo separated the camera and the front radar, moved the radar to the front bumper grill.
Seems like everyone agrees, its always camera and radar for Volvo SPA/CMA, they have just changed the components and locations. IMO it's hard to say what's "better" as we don't know why they make the changes, could be simple cost, regulatory changes etc. I suspect so much happens in software, you can't even begin to know what happens between the sensors and what you experience, if you have no visiblity into the "black box" that sits between those things. Not that some speculation isn't fun. Ultimately all that matters is the end result, how does it work for you.

As we can see with the SPA2, Volvo looks to be adding sensors, with the LIDAR in the upcoming models. Very opposite of Tesla. Although I am completely unqualified to say (why let that stop me hehe) it seems that all the "sensor fusion" talk from Tesla publicly justifying their camera-only shift, I think they made the wrong choice on that. Maybe it is very difficult to manage the multiple sensors input into a physical model, but it seems like each type: radar/camera/lidar, can see things that the other sensors can't.
Hello guys, 
I would like to enable the ACC and PA for my xc60 2018 T8 sensus, but I've read a lot that it may be required to replace the hydraulic module, how can I check what kind of module mine has, I'm not sure, maybe already has it?

(11-27-2023, 08:56 PM)Denis371 Wrote: Hello guys, 
I would like to enable the ACC and PA for my xc60 2018 T8 sensus, but I've read a lot that it may be required to replace the hydraulic module, how can I check what kind of module mine has, I'm not sure, maybe already has it?

Nevermind, found the answer on this forum, looks like all phev are ready for this upgrade and have the correct module! I will play around with these settings!
Hello, If the ACC is activated and the car in front stops at a traffic light, after 3 seconds the ACC is normally deactivated and only if I press the gas pedal or a button does the car move away.
Has anyone managed to change these 3 seconds into more seconds?

Does anyone know if it is possible with the orBit software to upgrade from the first generation of Pilot Assist to the second generation of Pilot Assist? 

about this https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/.../Automatic

Thanks