Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to buy used key fobs - SPA/CMA key fob and config guide
A quick note about remotes and key shells.

There are two versions of the physical key shells and remotes, beyond the Motion Sensing change.

Early (2016 to at least 2017 or 18) remotes were prone to breaking such that the shells would fall off. Volvo redesigned the attachment method and would replace the keys and shells with new ones as a warranty replacement.

You can tell by the difference in the little hook that engages shell and the old buttons are smooth and the new ones have a little protrusion to help you grip them.

The shells are not fully compatible. A new shell will fit on an old remote, but will be a smidge loose. An old shell will not lock onto a new remote without some slight modification.

As the revision came well before they started doing the Motion Sensing remotes, all the MS remotes should have the newer mechanism. Also I think all the red and orange keys are newer as well.

I mention this because people may be in the situation of having old keys with the nice fancy leather shells on them that they’d like to move to new keys with the plain black plastic shells.[Image: 2921784339609791ea10346540e9576b.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Messages In This Thread
How to buy used key fobs - SPA/CMA key fob and config guide - by Partridge - 12-10-2023, 05:43 PM