Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to flash a module with software in OrBit
This is a question asked from time to time about performing software updates so I will answer generally to address all the aspects here.

The thing about "software updates"...it's a big system with a lot of moving parts within Volvo/Polestar. It involves:
  • Maintaining the software catalog of all possible module softwares
  • Maintaining the database of all modules and the versions of software releases for them
  • Maintaining the system of compatibility between software versions between various modules within a car
  • Maintaining the system of all unique security access codes (i.e. PINs) to each module within a car
  • Maintaining an automated system to assemble all the latest compatible software for a specific car based on a readout

That's a huge effort to build something like that, and to build it only by reverse engineering it from the outside...well likely far more than I can build alone in any reasonable length of time (probably not for $100/yr either lol). It's possible maybe on a somewhat limited basis, and more possible as cars age and software updates slow down, it becomes more of a job of maintaining a stable collection of software. But we have other issues like the legal implications of distributing software, and then security issues with module software that is signed code like the files for the IHU, ECM and some others, can they even be flashed.

What I have been concerned with is the technical functionality of flashing software with OrBit, the basic capability of it, which is not complete. I work toward the capability to flash all modules, first flashing the modules that are the most basic, secured only by programming PIN. I add to a list of "allowed" modules to flash in OrBit as they are tested. I will eventually look at the process of each module with signed code and what can be done there.

Flashing software will remain a function that the user needs to have the software they want to flash, which is admittedly it's own challenge to obtain for Volvos. OrBit is not a system that distributes module software for now. What I focus on is more about enabling the things that VIDA "doesn't do", such as replacing modules with used parts.

I hope that gives an idea of the situation for anyone curious ;-)

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to flash a module with software in OrBit - by Power6 - 10-01-2023, 04:10 PM