Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
R-Design steering Wheel
What do you call software?
Do you have any websites to recommend other than Ebay?

Indeed, it was impossible for us to have and purchase a 3-day license in Europe for VIDA :/

Sorry for maybe not understanding, maybe that's the meaning of the sentence that was mistranslated by Google ^^
Each module (SWM in your case) in VOLVO has a software.  When a brand new module is replaced, it's needed to be programmed according to CAR model (reload software) via VIDA because the new modules are blank. 
So, you can purchase a used one from a donor car same as your model.  
I don't know if you have junk yards in your country, you can also check out this site or google it.
Update: tested a generic switch as a makeshift paddle and it did not work. It wasn’t a thorough test, but I think it’s more than a simple switch.
Does anyone have the means to test the resistance when the paddle is not pressed / pressed? Both left and right? I took a look at a couple different buttons in the car and it looks like they’re using two resistors in parallel, one of which is “switched”. For example: the button inside the shifter knob reads 4.7k at rest and .28k when pressed.
No, you do not test resistance, you test the continuity. 
There are three wires, 
1 of them is the common wire. the other two are individual for each paddle. 
You should test the continuity between common and individual for each paddle. When you press the paddle you'll see value change at the same time if you press the other paddle value does not change.
(02-02-2024, 05:36 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: No, you do not test resistance, you test the continuity. 
There are three wires, 
1 of them is the common wire. the other two are individual for each paddle. 
You should test the continuity between common and individual for each paddle. When you press the paddle you'll see value change at the same time if you press the other paddle value does not change.

If it were a simple switch, yes. However I don’t believe it is. The few other switches (buttons) I’ve tested from the factory are NOT simple switches. They all have high resistance when at rest and much lower when pressed. The resistors are clearly visible on the pcb, but i don’t have paddles to disassemble. Which would also make sense as the car could know if the paddles are present or not and whether they are shorted. Attached is the button behind the button on the shift knob (used when shifting out of park), even when it’s not pressed there is 4.69k resistance, as evidenced by the 472 resistor in the pic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well, I can tell you this. 
I retrofitted steering wheel with paddles and my S60 was missing the three wires from the SWM to the connector of the shifter on the center console. 
I used ohm meter to check the paddles and wiring is correct. When I tested resistance,  it did not register any resistance. Paddle shifters are different than button on the shift nob. 
The paddles are sharing the ground wire and returning ground signal to two different pins. The circuit always closed, pressing a button cut the circuit on one side. This is how TCM knows up/down shift. If the ground does not return to one of the pins continuedly (circuit is open) . A DTC is generated. The paddle circuit ,might have capacitors or some other component to block back flow from other side. 

I a, mot sure what you are trying to achieve those paddles are cheap  but anyway. Good luck
(04-11-2023, 11:30 PM)GRG Wrote: Problem solved! Now the paddles work perfectly!
In the end I don't know why but my car has been built without the 3 wires needed for the paddles....once i added the 3 extra wires everything started working as intended!
Since my car has the standard gear shift (not the shift by wire one) the procedure is a little bit different from the other one made for the shift by wire!
So here is a small "how to" for the users with standard gear shift!

1) disconnect the battery
2) remove the steering wheel and gain access to the steering harness
3) behind the steering harness you can find this connector (the 3 wires needed are the nr. 11, 12, 13 if missing you have to add them) 

4) these 3 wires need to be connected into the gear shift connector (the green one)

the connection path is the following:
11=>YE/VT (gear connector cable color)
12=>BN/YE (gear connector cable color)
13=>BN/GY (gear connector cable color)
end result!
5) Done! close everything, put the new steering wheel, code with orbit and enjoy!

Do you know if this is still possible to do if my gsm harness is missing the ye/vt, bn/ye, and bn/gy wires from factory?

Thanks
(02-22-2024, 09:50 PM)Alex_toj Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 11:30 PM)GRG Wrote: Problem solved! Now the paddles work perfectly!
In the end I don't know why but my car has been built without the 3 wires needed for the paddles....once i added the 3 extra wires everything started working as intended!
Since my car has the standard gear shift (not the shift by wire one) the procedure is a little bit different from the other one made for the shift by wire!

3) behind the steering harness you can find this connector (the 3 wires needed are the nr. 11, 12, 13 if missing you have to add them) 

4) these 3 wires need to be connected into the gear shift connector (the green one)

end result!
5) Done! close everything, put the new steering wheel, code with orbit and enjoy!

Do you know if this is still possible to do if my gsm harness is missing the ye/vt, bn/ye, and bn/gy wires from factory?

Thanks
What do you mean by "gsm harness" ? If your car is already shift my wire, it has a different wiring and you may already have the wiring.
(02-22-2024, 11:51 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(02-22-2024, 09:50 PM)Alex_toj Wrote:

end result!

Thanks
What do you mean by "gsm harness" ? If your car is already shift my wire, it has a different wiring and you may already have the wiring.
I meant the green connector shown in GRG's picture. My car does not come with the  ye/vt, bn/ye, and bn/gy wires in the green connector. I tried flashing the car with the paddles enabled but it just makes my paddles and gear shifter non-functional.