Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie - Unable To Connect Car To OrBit
(01-11-2024, 08:56 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 03:11 AM)SashaSolitaire Wrote: Figured out that I needed to turn the firewall off for my first computer to connect. Not too happy about that, but what I did was to first start OrBit, get the validation code, and then disconnect from the internet completely, turn the firewall off and then hook up the OBDII. OrBit then connected with the car. To clarify, I only have Windows Defender firewall on and checked to make sure that orbitrun.exe had access to both private and public networks on the "Inbound" side

It's not inbound, it's outbound.  From Orbit (PC) > (outbound) CAR! When you connect the OBDII, the network is public "undefined" 
You can also create a firewall outbound rule in advance settings just select program and enter "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\OrBitRun.exe"  Allow it for all "Public, private and domain.

It's actually INBOUND that is needed. Windows Defender by default does not limit any outbound connections. It can be configured that way and you would definitely need to allow outbound connections for OrBitRun.exe if that is the case. But it's not very typical to do that since it's not the default.

The inbound allow is needed since OrBit needs to "listen" for the car to find it, which is an incoming connection hence blocked by default with the Defender firewall (or any firewall for that matter)

The general troubleshooting for that is here https://forums.spaycetech.com/showthread.php?tid=53, it details creating a firewall exception if Windows did not prompt you initially to allow the inbound connections. It may be worth checking that over. Disabling the firewall of course will solve the problem, and it is a great troubleshooting test to confirm that is the issue, but the correct exception should do the trick.

The next version of OrBit installer will require admin rights and just create the firewall exception for you on install, to avoid the issue altogether. The Windows "allow this...?" pop-up that creates the exception for you hasn't been reliable enough, occasionally as we have here, the exception doesn't get created. The update is already up at  OrBit installer I have not flipped the update notification switch yet but you are welcome to install the update to version 0.9.7 and it should magically fix things for you, as another way to solve the problem.
Photo 
" Windows Defender by default does not limit any outbound connections. "   > This depends on the security policies and the version of the windows; windows blocks every new program for outbound without even the pop up asking if user wants to allow. 

" The inbound allow is needed since OrBit needs to "listen" for the car to find it, which is an incoming connection hence blocked by default with the Defender firewall (or any firewall for that matter)" 
Tanks for the info, I did not know that car actually opens the first session towards Orbit / VIDA using  specific destination UDP port "13400" that Orbit listens to. 
I checked the VIDA too,  it listens to UDP 13400 and TCP 24200 + ( ANY TCP PORT from source 13400 tcp ) ports and creates the firewall rules during installation!  
I guess, that's why Orbit worked for me from the beginning!  
@Power6, did the following:
  • Uninstalled Orbit app and deleted both the folders
  • Downloaded and installed OrBit 0.9.7
  • Checked in Windows Defender firewall that both inbound and outbound rules were set up for orbitrun.exe
  • Connected the OBDII cable
  • Faced the following two times:

Found car
Connecting to IP: 169.254.4.10
Gateway ECU: 0x1021
Waiting for the gateway to respond...
No cars found! Check cable, replug OBD connector, or check local firewall blocks OrBit from incoming connections
  • The third time it connected to the car successfully, and I made a couple of config changes, wrote to the car, checked that the changes were applied and then reverted back the test changes I made

All in all, Ver 0.9.7 did the trick for me. Thanks!!!
(01-11-2024, 08:42 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: Tanks for the info, I did not know that car actually opens the first session towards Orbit / VIDA using  specific destination UDP port "13400" that Orbit listens to. 
I checked the VIDA too,  it listens to UDP 13400 and TCP 24200 + ( ANY TCP PORT from source 13400 tcp ) ports and creates the firewall rules during installation!  
I guess, that's why Orbit worked for me from the beginning!  

Yup, the DoIP standard, or at leas how Volvo does it, is the car broadcasts on the network, the tool listens for it, and then open up the packet, which has the IP of the car. That's how the tool finds the car without running a port scan for open 13400 on the huge subnet 169.254.0.0/16 which would take a lot of time ;-)

Did you notice if the Volvo firewall rule created allows "all" applications? That may be why people with VIDA installed are less likely to have issues. OrBit would already be able to listen. I did the firewall rule creation in the OrBit installation bound to only OrBitRun.exe executable, following "least privilege" security. I should check on TCP port 24200, I suspect that is for the "Shop WiFi" connection it makes sense TCP is needed for that.

(01-11-2024, 10:09 PM)SashaSolitaire Wrote: @Power6, did the following:
  • Uninstalled Orbit app and deleted both the folders
  • Downloaded and installed OrBit 0.9.7
  • Checked in Windows Defender firewall that both inbound and outbound rules were set up for orbitrun.exe
  • Connected the OBDII cable
  • Faced the following two times:

Found car
Connecting to IP: 169.254.4.10
Gateway ECU: 0x1021
Waiting for the gateway to respond...
No cars found! Check cable, replug OBD connector, or check local firewall blocks OrBit from incoming connections
  • The third time it connected to the car successfully, and I made a couple of config changes, wrote to the car, checked that the changes were applied and then reverted back the test changes I made

All in all, Ver 0.9.7 did the trick for me. Thanks!!!

Glad it's solved! I have seen the initial issue you see there...OrBit found the car, tries to connect and the gateway stops responding. It has eluded me as to why that happens sometimes. OrBit tries multiple times to connect when that happens to be sure the connection can't be made. Well I will figure that out someday but as long as you got through it and all is well for you now, all is well that ends well ;-)
Photo 
Yes, it names the rules "VIDA..."  but for all applications. I guess, there are several different executables (processes) run by main VIDA process that uses the ports.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-05-2024, 01:36 AM)SashaSolitaire Wrote: Hi there

Newbie here.

Car - Polestar 2 (2022)
S/W version on car - 2.13.1
OBDII Connector - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEC...UTF8&psc=1
Laptop OS - Win 10

My car is on the L2 charger (40% SoC) and I connected the OBDII connector to my laptop and tried to connect to the car. Here is the log message:

Requesting connect
Waiting for connection...
Error Reason: timeout
OrBit Disconnected

I had the same message come through after multiple disconnect/connects I made at the OBDII end and the laptop. I have Windows Defender (no other security software) and checked that orbitrun.exe had access to both Private and Public networks. No dice.

What could be the reasons for OrBit not being able to connect to my car? I suspect the OBDII connector, but this is what many users in the Polestar forums have recommended that works with OrBit.

Any help appreciated

I struggled to connect in July 2024 until I OPENED MY DOOR

Be sure door is OPEN.  Couldn’t connect otherwise
I'm having issues with timeouts too. My log files says this:

2024-10-17 17:48:43,816 [Main] [INFO]  Console Message: Requesting connect
2024-10-17 17:48:43,924 [Main] [INFO]  Console Message: Waiting for connection...
2024-10-17 17:48:44,703 [Main] [INFO]  Console Message: Found car
2024-10-17 17:48:44,705 [Main] [INFO]  Console Message: Connecting to IP: 169.254.4.10
2024-10-17 17:48:44,705 [Main] [INFO]  Console Message: Gateway ECU: 0x1021
2024-10-17 17:49:05,738 [Main.OrBitCore] [INFO]  Gateway not ready, wait 1 sec to connect
2024-10-17 17:49:27,783 [Main.OrBitCore] [INFO]  Gateway still not ready, wait 2 more sec to connect
2024-10-17 17:49:27,785 [Main] [INFO]  Console Message: Waiting for the gateway to respond...
2024-10-17 17:49:50,825 [Main.OrBitCore] [ERROR]  Error connecting to the car
2024-10-17 17:49:50,827 [Main.OrBitCore] [ERROR]  ******TRACEBACK******

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\OrBitCore.py", line 232, in OrBitConnect
  File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\doipclient\client.py", line 191, in __init__
  File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\doipclient\client.py", line 849, in _connect
TimeoutError: [WinError 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\OrBitCore.py", line 240, in OrBitConnect
  File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\doipclient\client.py", line 191, in __init__
  File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\doipclient\client.py", line 849, in _connect
TimeoutError: [WinError 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\OrBitApp\OrBitCore.py", line 248, in OrBitConnect

Any tips for this one? I have tried everything mentioned on this thread. Even tried a different cable and USB dongle and done a little dance with the car as well to see if that works  Wink

Polestar 2 - ver 2.14.4