Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control
2/2021 is 2021 late on Volvo calendat
@Power6 Hello, can the 2021 Polestar 2 use the orbit to open the hidden acc pa function? Rolleyes
As far as I know Polestar 2 should be able to enable PA. It comes on some models and not others, but it is just config items ;-)
(02-02-2023, 04:37 PM)Power6 Wrote: This is a common one so I will kick off with the general guidelines and others can chime in as more is learned!

If you have OrBit supported Volvo with regular cruise control, AFAIK all these SPA/CMA Volvos have the sensors and equipment for PA and ACC to work, as those are already used by the safety systems. The software on all the modules also appears to be the same stuff whether you have PA/ACC or not. So enabling these items is a matter of config in OrBit!**

There are multiple items that comprise enabling PA/ACC and it can be confusing. What I will describe is the "lowest common denominator" settings for enabling PA below, which will include ACC when done:

023 CRUISE CONTROL - 03 Adaptive cruise control, level 1
145 TRAFFIC JAM ASSIST - 04 With Traffic Jam Assist, Level 3
238 TOP DAMPING BRAKES - 02 Friction Brakes actuator with top damping (change this only non-hybrid car)

If you are "confused" just do the above. This enables Pilot Assist on my 2019 S60 T6 that did not have the Advanced Package. Many people than ask what "top damping" is, and I have no clue ;-) Just that non-hybrid cars with Pilot Assist have that enabled (and see ** below). For hybrid cars, I would leave that setting at what it is orginally, since the "brake by wire" system is known to support PA as it is.

NOTE "ABS CLEAR CONFIG" NEEDS TO BE RUN, ORBIT WILL AUTOMATICALLY RUN IT AFTER PROGRAMMING, BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS RUN IT FROM THE SHORTCUTS TAB IN CASE YOU ARE STILL GETTING ERROR MESSAGES FOR ESC AND OTHER SYSTEMS IN THE DRIVER DISPLAY (DIM). Glad we got that out of the way ;-)

If you want to play with settings further there are a number of additional features and "higher levels" of PA/ACC you can play with, see if they work. It is not clear what cars "support" these features, I'll share my experiences to kick it off (2019 S60 T6 R-Design)

142 PARKING ASSISTANCE - I have "03 Park Assistance, rear and front" as original. Autmated parking settings are in this item. Enable on my car (04, 05) gives messages in dash about "parking assistance unavailable" and trouble codes set for missing side parking sensors...
148 CURVE SPEED SUPPORT - I can enable and the items show upin dash and Sensus to use this, but never has worked from what I can see
149 ROAD SIGN INFORMATION - I've changed this to version "with SLA" to support Curve speed assist above (0F for USA) but that still does not work
155 SPEED WARNING - Disabled on my car original, I have enabled, this works
312 LANE CHANGE ASSIST - this does not work on my 2019 S60, not automated lane change. 
314 ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL VERSION - Mine is "01 ACC Version 1" I have not tried changing this

023, 145 changing to higher "levels" - On my car, moving these up to higher than the settings I noted above, then write, ABS clear etc. I get messages on the dash of ESC, Cruise Control disabled etc. So does not work for me. Newer Volvos "with Pilot Assist" maybe well have the hardware to support the higher levels, I don't know. That's where the community and trying and learning comes in....

** Volvo offers or has offered the "Intellisafe Assist" accessory for cars without PA to get it. On non-hybrid cars, they require a new ABS pump unit to be installed. It seems that a different unit was needed for the non-hybrid cars to have Pilot Assist. Not too much is known, other than this may be the unit with "top damping" we see in config. At any rate, while the software is there, and you can enable PA on an ICE model...Volvo doesn't support that without the ABS pump swap. We know it does work and has been fairly common to do, no known issue, but you should know it's AT YOUR OWN RISK! Personally I don't mind, I was curious about PA/ACC so enabled it, but I don't use it very much anyways

I have the smaller 8" display and we had discussed that pilot assist may not work with this display. I can now confirm that It does work after changing  238 Top Damping brakes to the top damping setting. That was the one key to the puzzle that I was missing! Now, on to the fog lights....
2019 S60 T6 Momentum
FYI : I successfully enabled PA and ACC on base model MY22 P2 that did not come with it.
Observation for MY21 P2 Launch Edition (Canadian Market) :
When changing ID 149 to 13 (With Speed Limiter), Adaptive Cruise Control becomes unavailable.
Both Cruise control and limit cruise work, but I get "Unavailable" when trying to engage the adaptive Cruise Control.
(07-27-2023, 01:49 PM)Synoptic Wrote: FYI : I successfully enabled PA and ACC on base model MY22 P2 that did not come with it.

Hi, would be able to share which settings you used? I have a MY23 P2 that I would like try it out on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07-29-2023, 12:01 AM)bigbadbuddha Wrote:
(07-27-2023, 01:49 PM)Synoptic Wrote: FYI : I successfully enabled PA and ACC on base model MY22 P2 that did not come with it.

Hi, would be able to share which settings you used?  I have a MY23 P2 that I would like try it out on.

I don't have the car with me to create the .txt setting file to give you a precise answer, but from memory, I only had to do this :

023 : 04
(07-29-2023, 03:18 PM)Synoptic Wrote:
(07-29-2023, 12:01 AM)bigbadbuddha Wrote:

Hi, would be able to share which settings you used?  I have a MY23 P2 that I would like try it out on.

I don't have the car with me to create the .txt setting file to give you a precise answer, but from memory, I only had to do this :

023 : 04

Thanks, I appreciate it!
(07-27-2023, 04:55 PM)Synoptic Wrote: Observation for MY21 P2 Launch Edition (Canadian Market) :
When changing ID 149 to 13 (With Speed Limiter), Adaptive Cruise Control becomes unavailable.
Both Cruise control and limit cruise work, but I get "Unavailable" when trying to engage the adaptive Cruise Control.

Have you tried 36 to 03 ASL & AVSL and 149 to OF USA TSI with Speed limiter?