Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active high beams for us non-bendy folk
Though I like the adaptive beams, agree with your results (perhaps because we are both in New England ;-)) Volvo is really insistent about turning off high beams with street lights. Which given many of our typical secondary roads around here with "occasional" street lights makes a lot of on/off switching. But that criticism appies to the AHB in general, even in the AHB1 on/off mode you have the same issue. So I keep them enabled, it just adds more conditions where more than the low beam can be used.

I haven't had any issues annoying others (well not enough that they flash me or anything) I suspect that is why elements "fade" in when they turn on, to avoid other drivers perceiving the high beams have been engaged as an excuse for road rage lol.

The tech definitely varies widely, these ones strike me as pretty basic, only a handful of elements to play with, 6 or 8 maybe? The Pixel lights are where you get enough elements (43 IIRC) to make the shadow holes around other cars, that looks pretty neat. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNv5XHhPlVk)
Yes. That guy shows most of the advanced headlights out there. In his opinion (also mine) Pixel Lights are the best in the game. Even a little better then S-Class (which was top 1)
When you bring the Digital Light in the game, only that part, the animation on the road then yes, Audi or Benz does it better. Everything else, Pixel rules
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit 
+1 on the city lights, very annoying.

But otherwise I love it!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
(02-17-2023, 06:01 PM)Power6 Wrote: I have these set on my 2019 S60, non-bendy. OEM settings are the same as yours listed. I'm not sure if you are indicating those are the settings you are expecting to add adaptive llights or just where you start from ;-) 

the item 109, on "03 AHB1..." That is the US setting for non-adaptive, on/off function for Auto High Beam, to meet the "old" US regs.

On my car, I change "03 AHB1..." to "05 with AHB2 (Adaptive), High Beam in Small Village" and that enables the adaptive function of Auto High Beam on my car.

Opinions vary quite a bit on what people "see" it seems. They are obvious to me, and I like the function. It takes some time to recognize "it's working" I think. I did a lot of turning AHB on and off when driving at first to catch the differences. You can notice elements of the beam turning off as that happens suddenly, when elements are turned on they "fade" in slowly so it's not as obvious. My advice is enable them and go with it for a while and see what you see.

I find the adaptive useful in more situations. Previously with AHB1, I didn't use them often, just dark back roads, otherwise using the AHB they just flick high-low constantly or not at all when there is enough traffic. Now with AHB2, I can use it in almost any case, for example following other cars the beam will extend as the car in front drifts further from you, and the right side shoulder can be illuminated "bright". 

Anyways...that's the setting I use and I like it ;-)
Can I ask you to make a video of how this works for you?

I did the same, changed the setting 109 to 05.
I noticed changes in work, but they are not for the better.

If earlier there was an automatic high beam if there are no other cars on the road, now it looks very strange.

I see that the high beam icon is on on the panel, but the headlights shine somewhere down and with little intensity. If I turn off AUTO, I immediately see how the beam rises to the near level and I see much better than with adaptive light.
I've had the same issue. The actual headlamp needs to be replaced for it to work.
XC90 D4, FWD