Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active high beams for us non-bendy folk
Starting another thread to check and see what other folks are using for settings if you don't have the bendy headlights.

Currently at 
106  09 LED without bending lights
109  03 AHB1 High beam in small village
256  01 without bending lights

Have some long drives into Vermont and upstate NY this weekend so it is a perfect time to try new settings.  I've had this feature before so I know what it is supposed to be like and I have seen zero active light functionality.  If anything, the auto high beams seem less aggressive than before--particularly driving around neighborhoods where there may be some amount of ambient light.

Do I need to enable anything in Sensus?
Are my setting incorrect?
Am I expecting too much with the limited non-bendy lights?
I have these set on my 2019 S60, non-bendy. OEM settings are the same as yours listed. I'm not sure if you are indicating those are the settings you are expecting to add adaptive llights or just where you start from ;-) 

the item 109, on "03 AHB1..." That is the US setting for non-adaptive, on/off function for Auto High Beam, to meet the "old" US regs.

On my car, I change "03 AHB1..." to "05 with AHB2 (Adaptive), High Beam in Small Village" and that enables the adaptive function of Auto High Beam on my car.

Opinions vary quite a bit on what people "see" it seems. They are obvious to me, and I like the function. It takes some time to recognize "it's working" I think. I did a lot of turning AHB on and off when driving at first to catch the differences. You can notice elements of the beam turning off as that happens suddenly, when elements are turned on they "fade" in slowly so it's not as obvious. My advice is enable them and go with it for a while and see what you see.

I find the adaptive useful in more situations. Previously with AHB1, I didn't use them often, just dark back roads, otherwise using the AHB they just flick high-low constantly or not at all when there is enough traffic. Now with AHB2, I can use it in almost any case, for example following other cars the beam will extend as the car in front drifts further from you, and the right side shoulder can be illuminated "bright". 

Anyways...that's the setting I use and I like it ;-)
Another data point.

I had my lights set to the LED with bending US version by default and switched them to the EURO option.

I’m not sure if there’s a beam pattern change, it’s a little hard to tell but I suspect there may be less overlap in the center. This may be filled by the mystery lights in the euro version. The big difference I noticed was that the active lights stay on from ride to ride instead of defaulting to off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-18-2023, 12:06 AM)Partridge Wrote: Another data point.

I had my lights set to the LED with bending US version by default and switched them to the EURO option.

I’m not sure if there’s a beam pattern change, it’s a little hard to tell but I suspect there may be less overlap in the center. This may be filled by the mystery lights in the euro version. The big difference I noticed was that the active lights stay on from ride to ride instead of defaulting to off.

To answer the beam pattern question, yes it's different. Please use spec per side of road you drive on!!

Details per attachment:

Attached Files
.pdf   BeamSpecSPA.pdf (Size: 292.15 KB / Downloads: 83)
(02-18-2023, 02:20 PM)x119 Wrote:

To answer the beam pattern question, yes it's different. Please use spec per side of road you drive on!!

Details per attachment:

There’s more to it than that. The handedness of the car (LHD RHD) appears to be in a different setting. The LED light type could control USA/NA vs ROW be patterning which affects the shape of the beam and where the cutoffs are. There were plenty of people in the US in p2 Volvos swapping to euro LHD light clusters to get a slightly better beam pattern because the NA spec HID pattern was terrible.

(02-18-2023, 06:41 PM)Partridge Wrote:
(02-18-2023, 02:20 PM)x119 Wrote:

Details per attachment:

There’s more to it than that. The handedness of the car (LHD RHD) appears to be in a different setting. The LED light type could control USA/NA vs ROW be patterning which affects the shape of the beam and where the cutoffs are. There were plenty of people in the US in p2 Volvos swapping to euro LHD light clusters to get a slightly better beam pattern because the NA spec HID pattern was terrible.

That's what I said.. it's a different setting. Just to make sure it's appropriate for your country!
If you look at the document the beam patterns appear to be LHD or RHD for LED, there isn't a difference per country / region like with Halogen. 

In the UK we have tourist mode, so we can switch when driving in EU / further afield. Don't believe this was a US option as you're not going to a RHD country easily by road!
Tourist mode is another config that can be enabled. It DOES have a use for US cars...very narrow use, I think Volvo enables that when you do Euro delivery program and pick the car up at the factory. Pre-delivery after the car is shipped to the US dealer may later remove that config. I don't think it's changing the full "handedness" of the lights, which is part physical and can't be changed (different part numbers and marked LHD or RHD), so much as it is a mode that the bendy lights can do their best impression of the headlights for running on the "wrong side" of the road temporarily. That's my take on it anyways.

The thing with some config items, like the headlights type...is it intended to match the hardware installed, or are you setting the operation mode for hardware that is the same...each item is different. I suspect US vs Euro beam pattern for example, is a hardware difference in the reflectors, but I don't know that is the case, they are at least different hardware parts with the FMVSS compliant orange side reflector for the US.
(03-06-2023, 08:32 PM)Power6 Wrote: Tourist mode is another config that can be enabled. It DOES have a use for US cars...very narrow use, I think Volvo enables that when you do Euro delivery program and pick the car up at the factory. Pre-delivery after the car is shipped to the US dealer may later remove that config. I don't think it's changing the full "handedness" of the lights, which is part physical and can't be changed (different part numbers and marked LHD or RHD), so much as it is a mode that the bendy lights can do their best impression of the headlights for running on the "wrong side" of the road temporarily. That's my take on it anyways.

The thing with some config items, like the headlights type...is it intended to match the hardware installed, or are you setting the operation mode for hardware that is the same...each item is different. I suspect US vs Euro beam pattern for example, is a hardware difference in the reflectors, but I don't know that is the case, they are at least different hardware parts with the FMVSS compliant orange side reflector for the US.

I’m beginning to think that the only reason for the different part numbers may be the orange reflectors. Honestly considering the active lights I’m not sure why they would need to have a LHD and RHD version. Definitely with Pixel lighting that will go away and all be software defined.

I’ve always wondered how they get away with running DOT beam pattern lights in Europe with OSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So I finally had time to recode with the correct settings and drove for probably 3-5 hours over the weekend with the lights doing their thing.

I am going to give it a little more time but I may go back to the stock config.  I was really paying attention to what they were doing and it was very mild at best in terms of added lighting.  Perhaps I was expecting it to act more like my F80 M3 where it would form very distinct tunnels around the car in front.  Despite missing the ability to bend I thought it would at least add more in terms of lighting up the side of the road which I loved (signs, cops, people pulling out).

The bigger problem is that the sections turning on and off was angering other drivers I was behind.  I was going through northern MA, NH, and VT which has a lot of single lane roads so I would be behind people for chunks of time with ACC going.  Maybe it was my driving that did it but I really think it was the way that the lights were functioning--it does a weird fill in front of the car and others were perceiving it as me flashing my high beams (I think).  

I do think they were more aggressive keeping the high beams on which I liked.  That being said I wish it went even further--for example my neighborhood has some street lights but is generally dark at night and they don't switch on due to the ambient light.  Because of this I find myself sometimes not using it and just manually putting the high beams on.
(03-07-2023, 06:12 PM)kraeburn Wrote: So I finally had time to recode with the correct settings and drove for probably 3-5 hours over the weekend with the lights doing their thing.

I am going to give it a little more time but I may go back to the stock config.  I was really paying attention to what they were doing and it was very mild at best in terms of added lighting.  Perhaps I was expecting it to act more like my F80 M3 where it would form very distinct tunnels around the car in front.  Despite missing the ability to bend I thought it would at least add more in terms of lighting up the side of the road which I loved (signs, cops, people pulling out).

The bigger problem is that the sections turning on and off was angering other drivers I was behind.  I was going through northern MA, NH, and VT which has a lot of single lane roads so I would be behind people for chunks of time with ACC going.  Maybe it was my driving that did it but I really think it was the way that the lights were functioning--it does a weird fill in front of the car and others were perceiving it as me flashing my high beams (I think).  

I do think they were more aggressive keeping the high beams on which I liked.  That being said I wish it went even further--for example my neighborhood has some street lights but is generally dark at night and they don't switch on due to the ambient light.  Because of this I find myself sometimes not using it and just manually putting the high beams on.

Did you had a chance to film their functionality? I really think they are different than EU lights im terms of how much they move
When I am behind someone, my light will even help them even tho they aren't that bright. I was also in a car in front and my car, driven by my brother behind, they did light MY road a little. Nothing disturbing to the eye because they were on my sides

Also, you can enable High Beam in Small Village. That would only work if its dark enough tho
2019 V60 D4 Automatic Momentum with AHB
ACC/PA/Backup Camera with OrBit