Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rookie doubts, newcomer
(06-21-2024, 01:44 PM)Power6 Wrote: I don't discuss pricing much. It is what it is and I am OK if some like it and some others don't. But you can be SURE I have thought about it, a lot ;-) I should probably put my thoughts down so others can understand my philosophy on it.

OrBit is a subscription, yearly for $100. At first it made sense because I didn't know how long I'd be around making it! I don't make any promises I can't keep, so updating and supportng OrBit for a year, I could handle. I will never sell software that I don't support and fix when there is a problem.

It has made sense to keep the pricing as it is, OrBit continues to improve as I work on it. "One time" pricing is difficult to maintain, I'd have to cut off support and updates at some point. I'd have to price to match the expected "lifetime value" one could get from it (it would be more than $100). I don't want to manage versioning and upgrades and I don't want to have to tell anyone I can't fix their problem or they need to buy an upgrade. Pay $100/yr and you always have the latest version, newly added features and improvements, and I always support it. Most people have no problems, but those that DO have a problem, I think they would say I always take care of them. 

Now OrBit is really "known" for and sells on config (i.e. coding) for Volvo/Polestar cars. For service and diagnosis...it depends. Some other tools may be better. Being PC software, I focus on the more complex things that other low end code-reader type tools can't do. 360 cam calibration, air suspension calibration, bleed and test the vacuumless brake system, those are good examples. Service and diagnostics have a ways to go, so I don't emphasize it, but it's being worked on actively, I anticipate this becomes more useful as the cars age, and the manufacturer actively tries to lock owners out of using their tools to fix cars. 

I may be skewed in my view from the US. At $100/yr when the factory software VIDA is $100 for 3 days, or you can't buy a single hour of the average mechanics time for that, it seems like it's well priced to me. (I know those 3 things aren't equivalent, I'm just saying!)

The bottom line is, I make OrBit at a pricing that is worth it, for me to make it. If nobody buys it, and it dies, I'll go do something else and that will be the end of OrBit. So far that hasn't happend, but if it does it's OK. Not everything that people wish for, are they willing to pay the price for.

BeachBoy brings it up...what happens when your license expires:
  • OrBit account still works you can continue using OrBit, your VIN will be unlicensed. To date I never delete the users with expired license.
  • When a VIN is not licensed, you CAN read and clear codes, set EPB to service mode. Essentially what is on the main "Shortcuts" tab
  • When a VIN is not licensed you CAN also Restore to OEM (wipe OrBit configs and restore the car to original)
  • When a VIN is not licensed you CAN'T write a custom config, flash software to modules, or use the service features on the Service tab.

I think it's fair. I've never offered a "free" or "trial" OrBit, since again I won't sell (or give away) unsupported software. Once you have used OrBit for a year, I trust you to be able to connect a car and read codes and such without any issue. As well some pointed out they should be able to return the car from any OrBit configs even if the license has expired, so I added that ability which made sense.

perfectly explained.  Thanks for your answer now that I know it better, I will buy it.    what was said.  thanks for the reply