Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rookie doubts, newcomer
hello, good afternoon.
I'm new to this place. I have a 2018 xc60 D3 and I am looking for information to make some modifications.
I previously had a seat and already made many modifications, installed AFS bi-xenon headlights, rain sensor and lights, and some more electronics.
I think it won't be much more complicated in Volvo. I have tried to access the engine control unit to boost it and it has not been possible due to the still unpopular access protocols. I don't know if anyone here will give me any clue about it.
Another issue I am considering is whether it is necessary to purchase the annual subscription every year to use the software or whether you only pay if you need to update.
I hope I have explained it well. sy from Spain, I use Google Translator, I hope it is understood well. hahahaha
For the yearly subscription, we discussed this before the software celebrated it's first year. It was discussed if the software should allow a final OEM after the expiration but unless I'm wrong if you stop paying every year, you will not be able to revert to OEM (or program anything). You should still have some basic functions.

Paging @Power6

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
(06-19-2024, 02:52 AM)BeachBoy Wrote: For the yearly subscription, we discussed this before the software celebrated it's first year. It was discussed if the software should allow a final OEM after the expiration but unless I'm wrong if you stop paying every year, you will not be able to revert to OEM (or program anything). You should still have some basic functions.

Paging @Power6

Indeed, there should be some basic functions and other premium ones that only work after payment and that each person purchased according to their needs.    I may need premium once and never use it again, but every year I change oil, brake pads, etc. and need to reset services.  If I have to pay a premium subscription fee every year, it is not economically profitable and that is why I have not bought nor will I buy orbit and cable yet.  They should study the topic more.  I am waiting for good news
You...don't need annual resets because you changed the oil or brake pads?!?!
(06-20-2024, 02:41 PM)davelillo Wrote:
(06-19-2024, 02:52 AM)BeachBoy Wrote: For the yearly subscription, we discussed this before the software celebrated it's first year. It was discussed if the software should allow a final OEM after the expiration but unless I'm wrong if you stop paying every year, you will not be able to revert to OEM (or program anything). You should still have some basic functions.

Paging @Power6

Indeed, there should be some basic functions and other premium ones that only work after payment and that each person purchased according to their needs.    I may need premium once and never use it again, but every year I change oil, brake pads, etc. and need to reset services.  If I have to pay a premium subscription fee every year, it is not economically profitable and that is why I have not bought nor will I buy orbit and cable yet.  They should study the topic more.  I am waiting for good news

First off all you can reset the oil and the service from the car itself, you do not need an OBD device nor a software to reset it. Second, no one changes break pads ones a year especially the rear breaks. Rear breaks are the tricky ones because of the electronic hand break where you need to put the breaks to service mode. Or just disable the auto engage hand break when engine stops.
(06-20-2024, 07:16 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:

Paging @Power6

First off all you can reset the oil and the service from the car itself, you do not need an OBD device nor a software to reset it. Second, no one changes break pads ones a year especially the rear breaks. Rear breaks are the tricky ones because of the electronic hand break where you need to put the breaks to service mode. Or just disable the auto engage hand break when engine stops.

I already know all that information. It's a way of speaking. At any given time, a specific error may arise and if a premium subscription is needed to delete it, it is cheaper to take it to a workshop. If every time I have to change the brake pads, I have to pay a premium subscription, it is cheaper to go to a workshop, and so on. hence my comment. There can always be premium functions such as coding and modification of units and then maintenance functions, which may be paid, but may be cheaper than the full version. I think that option could be given. They are in the mood to discuss
(06-20-2024, 07:48 PM)davelillo Wrote:

Paging @Power6

I already know all that information. It's a way of speaking. At any given time, a specific error may arise and if a premium subscription is needed to delete it, it is cheaper to take it to a workshop. If every time I have to change the brake pads, I have to pay a premium subscription, it is cheaper to go to a workshop, and so on. hence my comment. There can always be premium functions such as coding and modification of units and then maintenance functions, which may be paid, but may be cheaper than the full version. I think that option could be given. They are in the mood to discuss

What you need is; A $30 OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor and your phone. You can do all those things; it will save you even the cost of taking the car to workshop for enabling the brake service! Having said that,  in business perspective it does not make sense for Orbit to maintain different types of subscriptions like you are describing. Because of the fact that there are many $10 adaptors available on the market which can do much more than Orbit's current basic functions that you are referring to. In addition, unlike Orbit; those cheap adaptors are universal for any CAR and just for VOLVO.
(06-20-2024, 10:07 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(06-20-2024, 07:48 PM)davelillo Wrote:

Paging @Power6

What you need is; A $30 OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor and your phone. You can do all those things; it will save you even the cost of taking the car to workshop for enabling the brake service! Having said that,  in business perspective it does not make sense for Orbit to maintain different types of subscriptions like you are describing. Because of the fact that there are many $10 adaptors available on the market which can do much more than Orbit's current basic functions that you are referring to. In addition, unlike Orbit; those cheap adaptors are universal for any CAR and just for VOLVO.
You can believe me that I have looked a lot and I have not found anything to reset brakes on Volvo that can be used from a smartphone and that really works.
I don't discuss pricing much. It is what it is and I am OK if some like it and some others don't. But you can be SURE I have thought about it, a lot ;-) I should probably put my thoughts down so others can understand my philosophy on it.

OrBit is a subscription, yearly for $100. At first it made sense because I didn't know how long I'd be around making it! I don't make any promises I can't keep, so updating and supportng OrBit for a year, I could handle. I will never sell software that I don't support and fix when there is a problem.

It has made sense to keep the pricing as it is, OrBit continues to improve as I work on it. "One time" pricing is difficult to maintain, I'd have to cut off support and updates at some point. I'd have to price to match the expected "lifetime value" one could get from it (it would be more than $100). I don't want to manage versioning and upgrades and I don't want to have to tell anyone I can't fix their problem or they need to buy an upgrade. Pay $100/yr and you always have the latest version, newly added features and improvements, and I always support it. Most people have no problems, but those that DO have a problem, I think they would say I always take care of them. 

Now OrBit is really "known" for and sells on config (i.e. coding) for Volvo/Polestar cars. For service and diagnosis...it depends. Some other tools may be better. Being PC software, I focus on the more complex things that other low end code-reader type tools can't do. 360 cam calibration, air suspension calibration, bleed and test the vacuumless brake system, those are good examples. Service and diagnostics have a ways to go, so I don't emphasize it, but it's being worked on actively, I anticipate this becomes more useful as the cars age, and the manufacturer actively tries to lock owners out of using their tools to fix cars. 

I may be skewed in my view from the US. At $100/yr when the factory software VIDA is $100 for 3 days, or you can't buy a single hour of the average mechanics time for that, it seems like it's well priced to me. (I know those 3 things aren't equivalent, I'm just saying!)

The bottom line is, I make OrBit at a pricing that is worth it, for me to make it. If nobody buys it, and it dies, I'll go do something else and that will be the end of OrBit. So far that hasn't happend, but if it does it's OK. Not everything that people wish for, are they willing to pay the price for.

BeachBoy brings it up...what happens when your license expires:
  • OrBit account still works you can continue using OrBit, your VIN will be unlicensed. To date I never delete the users with expired license.
  • When a VIN is not licensed, you CAN read and clear codes, set EPB to service mode. Essentially what is on the main "Shortcuts" tab
  • When a VIN is not licensed you CAN also Restore to OEM (wipe OrBit configs and restore the car to original)
  • When a VIN is not licensed you CAN'T write a custom config, flash software to modules, or use the service features on the Service tab.

I think it's fair. I've never offered a "free" or "trial" OrBit, since again I won't sell (or give away) unsupported software. Once you have used OrBit for a year, I trust you to be able to connect a car and read codes and such without any issue. As well some pointed out they should be able to return the car from any OrBit configs even if the license has expired, so I added that ability which made sense.
(06-12-2024, 01:16 PM)davelillo Wrote: hello, good afternoon.
I'm new to this place. I have a 2018 xc60 D3 and I am looking for information to make some modifications.
I previously had a seat and already made many modifications, installed AFS bi-xenon headlights, rain sensor and lights, and some more electronics.
I think it won't be much more complicated in Volvo. I have tried to access the engine control unit to boost it and it has not been possible due to the still unpopular access protocols. I don't know if anyone here will give me any clue about it.
Another issue I am considering is whether it is necessary to purchase the annual subscription every year to use the software or whether you only pay if you need to update.
I hope I have explained it well. sy from Spain, I use Google Translator, I hope it is understood well. hahahaha

On the specifics...changing config, "coding" on the Volvos, adding equipment, this is what OrBit supports, the main draw ;-)

ECM (engine) tuning is difficult yes, since 2018 when Volvo introduced a new generation of ECM with increased security. Nobody has done it that I know. I am continuing to work on a way to do it. There is still much work to do there, I do want to make it possible.

I described pricing philosophy above. You can use it however you like, buy the year, let it expire, only renew the next time you need it again. I am fine with how customers want to do things within the system that I have laid out.