Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tire pressure sensors
Hi evebody.

Did anyone retrofit tires pressure sensors?
I have TPMS based on ABS sensors on my wife's xc60.
I have keyless entry.
So question is - if i buy sensors and change config - will it work?

As i found - this settings are related:

019 TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM 01 Without
02 TPMS WBA US algorithm
03 TPMS WBL US algorithm
04 TPMS WBA EU algorithm
05 TPMS WBL EU algorithm
06 TPMS China algorithm

020 TPMS MENU FUNCTIONS 01 Without Monitoring system TPMS
02 With TPMS menu, reset
03 With TPMS menu, shut off
04 With TPMS menu, show pressure
05 With TPMS menu, reset/show pressure
06 With TPMS menu, reset/shut off

267 INDIRECT TPMS SYSTEM 01 Without Indirect Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
02 Indirect TPMS, Basic Algorithm
03 Indirect TPMS, US Algorithm
04 Indirect TPMS, EU Algorithm
05 Indirect TPMS, China Algorithm
07 With TPMS menu, shut off/show pressure
08 With TPMS menu, shut off/show pressure/reset
I would not recommend those individual ones. 
First there is no battery replacement and it's expensive to change each unit. (take out tire and rebalance) all four because most likely the batter will drain on all 4 around at the dame time.  
It's not plug and play, you'll need to calibrate (which one is on which side) them too. Not sure if it's even possible with Orbit.
(04-08-2023, 06:16 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I would not recommend those individual ones. 
First there is no battery replacement and it's expensive to change each unit. (take out tire and rebalance) all four because most likely the batter will drain on all 4 around at the dame time.  
It's not plug and play, you'll need to calibrate (which one is on which side) them too. Not sure if it's even possible with Orbit.

Not plug'n'play on volvo? i bought 4 sensors for my LR's winter wheels and car catched them after few km/mi....
Battery life is about 3-4 years(but it depends on km/mi), native sensors on my LR'2019 are good...

Hm i found some info that on XC90 they are p'n'p
(04-08-2023, 05:00 PM)Stranger Wrote:
(04-08-2023, 06:16 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: I would not recommend those individual ones. 

Not plug'n'play on volvo? i bought 4 sensors for my LR's winter wheels and car catched them after few km/mi....
Battery life is about 3-4 years(but it depends on km/mi), native sensors on my LR'2019 are good...

Hm i found some info that on XC90 they are p'n'p

How much did they cost you? Here in CA, US balance of each tire is around $25 and each original tire pressure monitor is around $100. You are talking about $500 every 3 years just to get individual tire pressure reading instead of regular one.  Well, it's a very expensive gadget in my point of view. I have $25 air pump and check my tires once a week.
I bought a set of TPMS sensors for new wheels I got in, which I will get tires for and mount soon. Have not installed yet so can't confirm myself yet. I was not going to spend those OEM prices for sensors just to play with it and confirm the swap! But at this price, why not? https://www.ebay.com/itm/303907380887

Those should be correct, for US Sensus car at least. The sensors are supported by the Sensus cars (not supported iCup/Android) and you can tell the proper frequency by the frequency of the remote fobs, which on my 2019 S60 (and I think all the US Can cars) is 433Mhz. I believe the system uses the same 3-4 keyless fob antennas in the car to receive from the sensors so you need to match if the fobs are 315 or 433. At any rate I know it's supported and I got testers who have confirmed they can add sensors and enable the sensor TPMS on Sensus Volvo.

The TPMS sensor system needs no activation action at all. The system will monitor all sensors it "hears" and work out over time which ones are on the car, and of those, which wheel location they are mounted. That does take some time. I did add the ability to see and edit sensor IDs in OrBit, on the Service Tab. This was on request of a user who wanted to reduce the time to "learn" the sensors, if you know the IDs of the mounted sensors, you can enter them in and skip the auto-learning process. The location is not shown but I think we have worked out which of the data corresponds to which wheel, if that is the case I will update the display to show the locations.

Settings are:
019 - TPMS "sensor" system config
020 - TPMS menu functions in Sensus
267 - Indirect TPMS system config

When switching from indirect to sensor system, you would change 267 to "without" to disable that, then change 019 to one of the settings to enable (I believe "WBL" is what we want, I will see if I can confirm). Then you can change the menus in the Sensus with item 020, set as you like but the relevant part is you should be able to use any config with the "show pressure" included, since the sensor system will enable that to work.
(04-10-2023, 09:54 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: How much did they cost you? Here in CA, US balance of each tire is around $25 and each original tire pressure monitor is around $100. You are talking about $500 every 3 years just to get individual tire pressure reading instead of regular one.  Well, it's a very expensive gadget in my point of view. I have $25 air pump and check my tires once a week.

Not original, but same quality 4 new sensors BHSens (Huf) were about $130. They should live about 3-5 year and may be longer - depends on millage...

XC60 is my wife's car, and i will feel more comfortable with them... With 2 small kids there are not so much time to control everything on all family cars Wink

Power6 Cool
I am actually anti-TPMS sensors typically... Probably i was burned by an older Subaru, changing the wheels required purchasing 2 tools, one to "activate" the sensors and read the ID from them, and another to connect to the car and program the IDs of the sensors.

Good to see the tech has moved on, just throw them on the car and drive and everything works out. For the price and not needing to deal with anything else, other than enabled the config in OrBit, I am not so anti-TPMS sensors on this car. It's kinda neat they are supported!

My fellow who knows, says use one of the "WBL" config settings for sensor TPMS.
Its pretty neat you can add the sensors and configure to have direct. I prefer direct personally. Modern sensors last much longer than 3 years. I recently swapped autel programmable sensors into two sets of wheels, time will tell. The cool thing about the autel sensors is you can program them to work on just about  any car and swap wheels later without swapping sensors. I had to purchase the autel programmer, but its not expensive and allows me to do TPMS diag on just about any model car which is useful when helping friends and family. So one sensor and one programmer to rule them all. 

For the brave, you can also swap at home using a jack, a 2x4 and a ratchet strap to break the bead then swap the sensor. If the tire isn't rotated relative to the rim the wheel will still be balanced.
Ok. I’m going to have to do this.

Indirect TPMS has failed me once or twice. Catastrophic tire puncture at speed, no warning from the car, just noticed increase in noise followed by pulling and then the thump thump thump. TPMS didn’t alert until well after it was too late and I was already pulling over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new tires and wheels are being mounted today. Or whenever the shop gets to it. The TPMS sensors are going in. I'll confirm soon it works, actually we know it works, others have done it. I will confirm the Velospinner sensors I used work.

NOTE: If buying sensors, I believe they must match the frequency of your remote fobs. So 433Mhz fobs, means you need 433 MHz sensors, and likewise for 315MHz. USA SPA Volvos are 433 MHz. They need to be compatible with Volvos of course if not buying universal sensors. I looked for non-universal sensors as they are cheaper and don't need any tool to set them. In the US the 2016 XC90 came with TPMS sensors so you can look for comaptibility with that. And remember this is for Sensus only, no support in the AAOS for TPMS sensor system.