Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OrBit MacBook

Hi.  Hi.    My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that Hi.    My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS. So I created a second partition on the MacBook today and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It is working fine and fast .The only thing is, a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a transition cable from Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So can be done. Might be useful for others to know.    Greetings Piet / Holland.doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS. So I created a second partition on the MacBook today and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It is working fine and fast .The only thing is, a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a transition cable from Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So can be done. Might be useful for others to know.    Greetings Piet / Holland.

Hi there

My old laptop gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, no Windows but MacOS installed. So today I created a second partition on the MacBook and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again without any problem. It works fine and fast now. The only thing is that a MacBook doesn't have an ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a Thunderbolt to Ethernet transition cable. So it can be done. Might be useful for others to know. 

Greetings Piet / Holland.
 My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS. Hi.    My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS. So I created a second partition on the MacBook today and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It is working Hi.    My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS. So I created a second partition on the MacBook today and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It is working fine and fast .The only thing is, a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a transition cable from Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So can be done. Might be useful for others to know.    Greetings Piet / Holland.fine and fast .The only thing is, a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a transition cable from Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So can be done. Might be useful for others to know.    Greetings Piet / Holland.

[size=1]    Hello. My old laptop gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS. So today I created a second partition on MacBook and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It works fine and fast. The only thing is that a MacBook doesn't have an ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't. So I had to buy a Thunderbolt to Ethernet transition cable. So it can be done. Might be useful for others to know. Greetings Piet / Holland.[/size]
So I created a second partition on the MacBook today and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It is working fine and fast .The only thing is, a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a transition cable from Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So can be done. Might be useful for others to know. 

Hi. 

My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS.
So I created a second partition on the MacBook today and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It is working fine and fast .The only thing is, a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a transition cable from Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So can be done. Might be useful for others to know. 

Hi. 

My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS.

Greetings Piet / Holland.[size=1]
Hi. 
[/size]

[size=1] My old laptop gave up a few weeks ago. Now I could take over a nice used MacBook, but that doesn't work with OrBit, not Windows but MacOS.[/size]
[size=1]So I created a second partition on the MacBook today and installed Windows10 on it. Downloaded and installed OrBit again. It is working fine and fast .The only thing is, a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet connection, at least mine doesn't have. So I had to buy a transition cable from Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So can be done. Might be useful for others to know. [/size]

Late 2017 XC60 t5 inscription
I'm wondering if same thing would be possible inside Windows VM on a Mac?
(03-10-2023, 04:23 PM)lazy Wrote: I'm wondering if same thing would be possible inside Windows VM on a Mac?

Probably, but for under $200 I just bought a cheap windows 10 laptop. It does the job fine , and I can run Vida on it without the fear of the VM messing up something critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03-10-2023, 04:23 PM)lazy Wrote: I'm wondering if same thing would be possible inside Windows VM on a Mac?

Depends. If it’s an Intel Mac, then sure, pretty much any hypervisor will allow you to pass a specific network interface through to the VM transparently.

If it’s an Apple Silicon machine….the limitation there is that on AppleSi, in most cases the hypervisor isn’t emulating x86 so the guest OS needs to be ARM and from what I understand, the Windows for ARM preview builds are hot garbage with app compatibility.

You might be able to emulate with QEMU and get that going but it’s probably going to involve a lot of work, I haven’t tried messing with it.

I went the cheap Windows 2in1 route since that’s a little more comfortable to mess with while sitting in the car. By the time you’ve bought a Parallels or VMware license to virtualize, you’re more than half way to just buying el cheapo Windows tablet anyway. There are some very cheap, fairly good Lenovo tablets around.
2023 S60 Recharge Black Edition
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
(03-10-2023, 08:10 PM)AllPurposeBen Wrote:

Depends. If it’s an Intel Mac, then sure, pretty much any hypervisor will allow you to pass a specific network interface through to the VM transparently.

If it’s an Apple Silicon machine….the limitation there is that on AppleSi, in most cases the hypervisor isn’t emulating x86 so the guest OS needs to be ARM and from what I understand, the Windows for ARM preview builds are hot garbage with app compatibility.

You might be able to emulate with QEMU and get that going but it’s probably going to involve a lot of work, I haven’t tried messing with it.

I went the cheap Windows 2in1 route since that’s a little more comfortable to mess with while sitting in the car. By the time you’ve bought a Parallels or VMware license to virtualize, you’re more than half way to just buying el cheapo Windows tablet anyway. There are some very cheap, fairly good Lenovo tablets around.

Initially I was like, what is the cheapest refurbished laptop on Amazon that has an Ethernet port and doesn’t look too crappy. Ended up with a Lenovo Yoga 11e for about $99. I ended up sending it back because it was advertised as a later generation than what I got, and their “refurb” process seemed to involve putting black stickers over the case to hide the scratches. Also, the copy of windows had some French guy’s bookmarks in it, so I didn’t trust it.

I ended up taking a chance on a 6th gen Lenovo Yoga 11e for about $180. The description on Amazon was kinda vagueish, but I ended up with a brand new in box unit. It needs a USB to Ethernet adapter but it’s otherwise a nice ruggedized laptop/tablet that more or less lives in my glovebox for orbit use currently and will be more than enough to handle VIDA.

Low end windows laptops are so cheap now that it’s easier to just get one than deal with Parallels or Bootcamp for something like this that doesn’t need a lot of power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(03-10-2023, 04:33 PM)Partridge Wrote: Probably, but for under $200 I just bought a cheap windows 10 laptop. It does the job fine , and I can run Vida on it without the fear of the VM messing up something critical.

I use x86 tablet for OrBit, but it is not really comfortable to use in a car. I feel like laptop would've been a better option. Might give a try to a Windows installation inside VirtualBox on my M1 MacBook first. If that does not work, cheap laptop will be my final choice.
(03-12-2023, 11:18 PM)lazy Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 04:33 PM)Partridge Wrote: Probably, but for under $200 I just bought a cheap windows 10 laptop. It does the job fine , and I can run Vida on it without the fear of the VM messing up something critical.

I use x86 tablet for OrBit, but it is not really comfortable to use in a car. I feel like laptop would've been a better option. Might give a try to a Windows installation inside VirtualBox on my M1 MacBook first. If that does not work, cheap laptop will be my final choice.

As I mentioned, it doesn't run on the ARM Windows 11 builds. Tried on 22621.1265, will install, start up, ask for email/license code and then croaks. This is pretty typical of most apps trying to run on the ARM builds...they won't.
2023 S60 Recharge Black Edition
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
Ran like a charm on virtual box running windows 10 on my intel MacBook pro.
OrBit will run fine in a VM as long as you got an x86 processor.
(03-12-2023, 11:18 PM)lazy Wrote:

If you're going to try this, I'd recommend using UTM. Instead of using an ARM image from their Gallery you can install Windows in an emulated environment. I used to do this for VAGCOM (similar software for VW/Audi) but haven't tried for VIDA, yet. Instead, I took the little SFF computer I built for the wife (it's about 4"x4") and connected that to the car so I could run a headless server and just work on my M1 MacBook while sitting on my butt on the couch inside via Remote Desktop.