Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OrBit MacBook
(09-10-2023, 07:25 PM)Brew Wrote: ...connected that to the car so I could run a headless server and just work on my M1 MacBook while sitting on my butt on the couch inside via Remote Desktop.

LOL this is how I work on OrBit ;-)
Can just verify for anybody wondering that Orbit will not start on a Macbook M1 with Parallels. Gave it a try for science. Smile
V60 2020 
(09-13-2023, 09:54 AM)Pliind Wrote: Can just verify for anybody wondering that Orbit will not start on a Macbook M1 with Parallels. Gave it a try for science. Smile

Not working at all or at least orbit can scan car profile?
No, the app does not start at all on M1/M2 MacBooks with Parallels or VMWare Fusion either. I bought a cheapish manufacturer refurbished Lenovo laptop on eBay for this and other Windows only things since I didn’t trust my Dell XPS from 2012 anymore. Came with free 2 year warranty, also having a touchscreen and Window’s version of Face ID makes my 2022 MacBook seem dated.

2019 XC90 T6 R-Design
Passion Red
4C, Advanced, B&W, CF Inlays, Heated Steering Wheel/Rear, Polestar, 20s

2020 XC60 T5 Momentum
Bright Silver Metal
Advanced, HK, Multimedia, Premium, Heated Steering Wheel, 20s
(10-05-2023, 08:00 PM)Pau1ey Wrote: No, the app does not start at all on M1/M2 MacBooks with Parallels or VMWare Fusion either. I bought a cheapish manufacturer refurbished Lenovo laptop on eBay for this and other Windows only things since I didn’t trust my Dell XPS from 2012 anymore. Came with free 2 year warranty, also having a touchscreen and Window’s version of Face ID makes my 2022 MacBook seem dated.

Got it  Angel But my last windows computer was on WinXP, I guess ) What is good in intel world now? i5 with 16 ram?
I guess I have some good news. I did manage to run OrBit on my M1 MacBook using UTM emulation. I haven't tested it with a cable yet, but it should work since I see the LAN adapter in the driver list. However, I need to warn you that it is pretty slow, as the processor is being emulated...

Exclamation Do so at your own risk. 

For the sake of $50 I'd be running it natively on Windows as designed...
Just tested it with a cable, and it works fine. If someone is interested, below is a screenshot of my UTM config. I used Windows 10 x64 for emulation.

(03-11-2024, 06:17 PM)vcorusa Wrote: Just tested it with a cable, and it works fine. If someone is interested, below is a screenshot of my UTM config. I used Windows 10 x64 for emulation.

Thanks for this! It is indeed rather slow on my M2, but honestly about the speed I remember Windows installs taking in the early 2000s anyway ha ha.
I’m still in the “buy a cheap windows laptop and leave it in the car with the cable” camp.

They’re cheap now. I saw a video recently where a streamer who uses Mac exclusively has a windows laptop that lives on the floor under his desk for the sole purpose of running the color changing lights on his microphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk