Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CEM 4027 - Battery Time in Service
Hey all, I created some diagnostics forums as more diagnostic stuff is added to OrBit.

Once thing I am looking at, is the "battery replacement" process, which is supposed to essentially reset the "learning" of the capcity and charging behavior of the battery. I have the process, it will be added to OrBit.

What the "battery replacement" does in actuality, is simply reset the "State of Charge" and the "Time in Service" of the battery.

You can already read this data in OrBit, so I've been looking at my car:

On my car, the battery "time in service" is 0 days today, and yesterday it was 2 days. I expected that the data would reflect the actual age of the battery (original to my car since 2019). But it doesn't seem to. I do a lot of things on my car though...not clear the battery life, but lots of other testing ;-) It makes me wonder the value of resetting the "battery time in service" if it is getting reset anyways. I will still add it, as it's a function that VIDA does and is supposed to be needed.

But still I am curious..any other OrBit users want to check this on your car, see what your battery time in service reports??
I will check mine. I think mine is still 2018...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Due for a change!![Image: a6b7574d01028402cd4778d9a9fa1b27.jpg][Image: 6a549bd5e207decf23217fd6d1e7ca20.jpg][Image: 8d1de8a6750c59884d8500cf03f955e4.jpg]

This brings me to fab date of Jan 30 2017 so an early built 2018 model. I believe it was on the road in July of 2017

Hey thanks!! Must be something I done with my car to have reset it ;-) Guess that means no problem for me to test the battery replacement process,  would have had to do that anyways.
Weird. 5days?

This is on a 2019.

[Image: fd0735620e9b9ad1d7241e8ddcdd0998.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh thanks for the info...this seems to be my experience as well, age is always a few days or so.

I'm working some theories in my mind here:

I noticed BeachBoy posted the Batt Volts read too, and it's below 12V which means, no charger/supply connected.

@Partridge...do you typically hook up a charger or power supply when you use OrBit (or any diag tool)? I am thinking maybe there is some relation, when the battery is charged outside the car itself or otherwise supported, does that trigger a reset of battery life statistics since the car can't be sure what the capacity and therefore SoC is...but on the other hand, almost any Volvo would have been to the dealer and had something done in VIDA, where they would connect a power supply as typical.

It's a bit of a mystery this one!
(03-08-2023, 09:24 PM)Power6 Wrote: Ahh thanks for the info...this seems to be my experience as well, age is always a few days or so.

I'm working some theories in my mind here:

I noticed BeachBoy posted the Batt Volts read too, and it's below 12V which means, no charger/supply connected.

@Partridge...do you typically hook up a charger or power supply when you use OrBit (or any diag tool)? I am thinking maybe there is some relation, when the battery is charged outside the car itself or otherwise supported, does that trigger a reset of battery life statistics since the car can't be sure what the capacity and therefore SoC is...but on the other hand, almost any Volvo would have been to the dealer and had something done in VIDA, where they would connect a power supply as typical.

It's a bit of a mystery this one!

Actually I haven’t bothered hooking up a charger since I’m lazy and the only things I’ve have been doing are just playing around in Orbit and doing the occasional config flash. I bought one for use with VIDA for actual software updates, but I figure as long as you’re just doing a quick config flash the power supply isn’t that necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I connected a trickle charger that's the most I have done to the car.

Did you do OrBit stuff 5 days ago?

Maybe some config change or ECU read/write triggers the reset?

(03-08-2023, 10:20 PM)BeachBoy Wrote: I connected a trickle charger that's the most I have done to the car.

Did you do OrBit stuff 5 days ago?

Maybe some config change or ECU read/write triggers the reset?

Hmmm. Yes I did. I set a few configs in the PA/ACC realm that someone mentioned in a another thread and they threw a bunch of Parking Brake codes that needed to be cleared. I also did the ABS reset just in case. Maybe something in that reset the battery count as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk