Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyless entry problem diagnosis/fix
I have a MY19 XC60 and the keyless entry has suddenly become intermittent, sometimes it works but mostly it does not.

I found an old post on swedespeed that claimed to "fix" the issue by the following using VIDA on a 2014 S60:
<<<
So, connect your laptop to your car. Scan the car, once that is done you will want to head to DIAGNOSTICS -> VEHICLE COMMUNICATION. Then click Advanced and locate your KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module), click it, and "test" the communication with the remote, remote control, door handles and then antennas.
>>>

Can Orbit do anything similar?

Thanks
MY19 XC60 D5 Inscription Pro (UK)
(08-15-2024, 12:36 PM)jdhx Wrote: I have a MY19 XC60 and the keyless entry has suddenly become intermittent, sometimes it works but mostly it does not.

I found an old post on swedespeed that claimed to "fix" the issue by the following using VIDA on a 2014 S60:
<<<
So, connect your laptop to your car. Scan the car, once that is done you will want to head to DIAGNOSTICS -> VEHICLE COMMUNICATION. Then click Advanced and locate your KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module), click it, and "test" the communication with the remote, remote control, door handles and then antennas.
>>>

Can Orbit do anything similar?

Thanks

I don't know if Orbit has that routine, I let @Power to comment on that. But what I'm certain is this. Even if only one antenna (receiver) disconnected or faulty, the whole keyless will not work! I know this because when I was doing work in the trunk, I disconnected the receiver behind the plastic cover and keyless entry stopped working. I connected it back, it started to work again.  Check if you get DTCs, maybe it can tell you which of the five.
That is useful, thanks. I’ll start with the trunk as I have had the battery out. Anyone know where the keyless antennas on a my19 xc60 are located?
It has moved on a little.  The keyless entry now does not work at all and the key is sometimes not seen in the car, maybe one in five times!  The car starts OK when the key is placed in the centre console position.

I don't have any way to read the DTC's as yet and I have not heard from Power6 yet.
(08-18-2024, 06:51 AM)jdhx Wrote: It has moved on a little.  The keyless entry now does not work at all and the key is sometimes not seen in the car, maybe one in five times!  The car starts OK when the key is placed in the centre console position.

I don't have any way to read the DTC's as yet and I have not heard from Power6 yet.

Have you tried replacing your batteries? Keyless entry uses power all the time unlike pressing the unlock button.  Second, if your car's battery is low you can have the same issue.
(08-18-2024, 09:32 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(08-18-2024, 06:51 AM)jdhx Wrote: It has moved on a little.  The keyless entry now does not work at all and the key is sometimes not seen in the car, maybe one in five times!  The car starts OK when the key is placed in the centre console position.

Have you tried replacing your batteries? Keyless entry uses power all the time unlike pressing the unlock button.  Second, if your car's battery is low you can have the same issue.

Yes.  I have tried new CR2032's of various makes and they make no difference.  The off load voltage is > 3.2v.  When the car would not start without the key being in the emergency position in the centre console the same key will still unlock the doors from at least 60 yds away.  I appreciate your ideas.

I have replaced the main car battery, also no difference.   The off load voltages of both the main and aux battery are around 12.8+.
In my scenario, the doors wouldn't unlock without pressing the button on key but the car would start without issues while the key was in my pocket.
Since you can unlock the car from a distance by pressing the button on remote but still cannot start the car unless you put the key into the cup holder, best guess would be; the faulty antenna is the one under the cup holder.  You still need a scan tool to confirm that though.
The frequency with which the key is not seen in the car is now 1 in 2 so whatever this is, it is getting worse.  I know my next step is to read the DTC's but I do not have a fault code reader yet.  I think Orbit is the way to go but I am waiting for confirmation that Orbit is likely to be able to help diagnose this issue. 

So far no response at all from spaycetech support or from Power6.

@IMAY2023 - any ideas how to test the cup holder antenna?
(08-21-2024, 11:53 AM)jdhx Wrote: The frequency with which the key is not seen in the car is now 1 in 2 so whatever this is, it is getting worse.  I know my next step is to read the DTC's but I do not have a fault code reader yet.  I think Orbit is the way to go but I am waiting for confirmation that Orbit is likely to be able to help diagnose this issue. 

So far no response at all from spaycetech support or from Power6.

@IMAY2023 - any ideas how to test the cup holder antenna?

If the car does not start unless the key is placed inside the cup holder over the key sign, most likely the receiver or the wiring is faulty since you've already checked the batteries. 
Pull out the center console side cover on the passenger side,  you will see a connector there, try with cleaning it. 

In any case, you will need to start from somewhere if you want to diagnose and fix your own car.  Get yourself a decent scan tool or VOE ODB2 cable. With the ODB2 cable you can read the DTCs via Orbit or Vdash. (free version) and that's about it.  If you are not planning to change the configuration of the car or retrofit stuff, then don't waste your money and time on VOE ODB2 cable and get yourself a scanner.
Sometimes PMs I don't get to them right away. I should set up an auto-responder, best to email at any of the addresses, info or support.

The SPA doesn't have a KVM. The Keyless system is run between the VCM (handles the antennas and communication) and the CEM (handles the security/immo stuff). It's different from the previous cars that way, so you just had old information that didn't apply, no worries that is how you learn. 

OrBit can probably help figure out an issue. You can read codes and data from modules which would probably be things that would help. It's not there yet as far as replacing VIDA. It's more of a tinkerers' tool for troubleshooting things currently, kinda have to poke around or know what you are looking for. If you want guided troubleshooting processes and full documentation, I'd get a 3 day subscription to VIDA if it's available to you, and use the factory tool as it's most complete way to troubleshoot a Volvo. Or just take it to a shop/dealer that has VIDA.

It could be as simple as reading codes, some DTC will tell you some antenna is bad and you know which one needs to be replaced. But it might not be so simple. You don't know what you don't know. Maybe you can at least get the trouble codes read out first by a shop, friend, auto parts store...