Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2WD mode same as Dyno mode?
Hey all. this weekend i'm gonna do some righteous burnouts. 

But in all seriousness, I have been testing and logging performance upgrades for the JB4 Tuning module. I've got about 3 years and 30,000 miles of data and updates to drop, but I need dyno numbers to give to burger... i haven't been able to get someone with a true rolling road to give me time for something they're not tuning (plus people tend to sneer at volvos) 

Anyway, I'm going to check if an AWD car can truly function in 2WD. If so, we've found a work around to getting the car dyno'd! Here's to good luck!
I do know there is setting for "dyno wheels", i.e. my S60 T6 is set to AWD. Now when you put the car in Dyno mode, I am not sure if that is simply a flag to the systems so that ESC and ABS and such properly allow for dyno running on a 2WD or AWD dyno, or is that an actual *selection* of the drive wheels. On some models (like the Haldex style AWD) it's certainly with the capability of the hardware.

At any rate, adding Dyno mode set is something on my list to add to OrBit. Do you already have a way of changing the operating mode of the car?
Oops. Forgot to follow up on this... Life exploded on me!

Anyway... This was a dramatic failure Big Grin ... Forgot a out the ABS and Traction systems. They are just as aggressive in tamping down power as you'd expect. It was a fail.
(03-13-2023, 08:00 PM)Bi.boosted Wrote: Oops. Forgot to follow up on this... Life exploded on me!

Anyway... This was a dramatic failure Big Grin ... Forgot a out the ABS and Traction systems. They are just as aggressive in tamping down power as you'd expect. It was a fail.
Curious what have happened hhhh... Probably if you just removed the DEM connector, the car will turn FWD. It's FWD by default.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
Did you get to try setting the car to Dyno mode with OrBit? What are your thoughts on Dyno mode...it doesn't address the ABS/ESC system? Or perhaps it does without turning them off, but trying to 2WD dyno is what failed? 

You are the first one to try it and report back ;-) Although a knowledgable guy who seems to work at or with Volvo did confirm that they use dyno mode to run cars on the dyno, and he didn't mention anything further would be needed. That's surely referring to using a linked AWD dyno though.
This was one of the options i had checked when i was trying to upload and had a bunch of fails. but i did write a good one, brake torque and did a quick launch, but the traction control came in hot. So, it didn't work out for me with 2WD as the drivetrain option. 

003  TRANSMISSION  - DRIVELINE                                        01 2 wheel drive

I should try it again and get it on video
So from what I can decipher here; Dyno mode wasn't tried? Only 2WD?

I believe that per Power6 above that putting the car into Dyno mode will disable ABS / ESC systems and allow you to do the necessary runs. Just remember to put it back to normal afterwards before you drive home....!!

Power6 should try Dyno mode on the track, what could go wrong?!  Cool
Ahh OK, I got you Bi.Boosted. I have a feeling...the config item for AWD/2WD is more like the config telling what the car driveline physically "is" rather than controlling the driveline itself...

Now if you want 2WD, I beleive I saw in a Volvo TSB, you can pull the fuse for the Haldex/Borg-Warner DEM module, to disable AWD.

Dyno mode needs testing to see what it does...like we know it's useful for a dyno, we don't know if it disables all the safety things are just makes those systems recognize and not interfere with the conditions of dyno usage. I guess we don't need a dyno to try that out on the street, I'll give it a try soon.
Only thing I'd do is torque brake and throttle gently up to about 2500rpm then come off the brake super quick while going full throttle... All 300+ going to the front wheels instantly should break them free with no effort.... Carry it out for as far as you want to see if any system steps in to corrall the fun. 

If anyone asks, you did a big smoky burnout for science!
I've always been leery of just pulling the fuse... But you know what. If it actually works, it works. I'll try it tomorrow or this weekend. I just wanna get these numbers... Get my heart broken with low ass numbers, and finally get my assumptions made real lol...

I'm hoping for 300-325hp at the wheels (through a slushbox with AWD that's way generous.