Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Licence Flashing?
Hi there,

I'm completely new to Orbit and the whole process of reading out your cars internal system. I want to find out about my EVs battery SoH and read online that this is the tool to do it.

So I'm wondering what "Licence Flashing" means for Orbit to work. What exactly is done with my VIN and why is it necessary? 

Just trying to understand how everything works. Thank you!
Licensing flashing in OrBit, means the VIN is allowed for you to do flash programming on the car. For 99% of users, that means you can change config on the car (which is a software flash). You are also licensed to flash other software, which is useful for some other cases that OrBit supports, like install software to a trailer module (TRM), or swap headlights and load software headlight modules (HCMs) for example. 

OrBit is sold as a subscription and includes the software, support and a VIN license. Nothing special is done with the VIN, other than allowing you to work on the car. More VINs can be added once you have OrBit, if you have multiple Volvos to work on, or run a shop. If you do have a shop you can contact me via info, support, orders (any of the email addresses ;-)) and I can go over the options for shops working on many cars regularly.

I have not, so far, offered an "unlicensed" OrBit. You would need to buy OrBit to use it. You would not need any PINs to be able to connect the car and see the battery SoH and use most/all of the service functions depending on the year/model.
Alright, thank you for the answer! Smile

Seeing as I'm not a shop owner and am just interested in reading out my cars internal data, I should be fine without the VIN, or the PINs for that matter. Thank you very much for your software in any case.

I do seem to have some connectivity issues still, but I guess I should post that somewhere else in the Forum. Will have a look