Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SCL remove - SOLVED
Hi!
Does anyone tried to remove steering column lock? US cars usually do not have it, European - do.

There's variant code
067 STEERING COLUMN LOCK 
"01 Without Steering Column Lock
02 With Steering Column Lock variant 1
03 With Steering Column Lock variant 2"

Tried SL01 - without steering column lock.  DTC about SCL disappeared, but car won't start.

BTW, there are different descriptions for SL:  
- Above SL02 is as " With Steering Column Lock variant 1 ", but VIDA shows SL02 as "SL02 STEER. COLUMN LOCK/KEY WARNING Without steering column lock, Key warning enabled". 
- SL03 is as "03 With Steering Column Lock variant 2", but VIDA on Variant attributes has "SL03 STEER. COLUMN LOCK/KEY WARNING With steering column lock, Key warning disabled"
Did you unplug it? Closed circuit perhaps. 

Interested on results of this testing - I had a £700 SCL replacement last year... then found out they don't even have them in the US! Amusingly, this is now why my car is 'blocked by Sweden' after they did the software 'load' fr the new SCL. Doh.
(02-23-2023, 09:59 PM)x119 Wrote: Did you unplug it? Closed circuit perhaps. 

Interested on results of this testing - I had a £700 SCL replacement last year... then found out they don't even have them in the US! Amusingly, this is now why my car is 'blocked by Sweden' after they did the software 'load' fr the new SCL. Doh.

Problem solved, checked and solution confirmed on 2 cars tonight Wink :

SL02 (NOT SL01!!!) works! ...unless different description in parameter file from Power6.

It has to be unpluged and physically removed from the steering column.
(02-23-2023, 09:59 PM)x119 Wrote:  Amusingly, this is now why my car is 'blocked by Sweden' after they did the software 'load' fr the new SCL. Doh.

It is probably some differences between official Volvo dealer and independent workshop. I had few cases when the car has been blocked for software downloads, but dealer ordered the software for me, reported about it, but I was not able to see this software for retrieval.
(02-24-2023, 08:30 AM)R1maS Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 09:59 PM)x119 Wrote: Did you unplug it? Closed circuit perhaps. 

Problem solved, checked and solution confirmed on 2 cars tonight Wink :

SL02 (NOT SL01!!!) works! ...unless different description in parameter file from Power6.

It has to be unpluged and physically removed from the steering column.

HI, 
I have a UK Volvo S90 . My SCL module failed and car wont start . I see theres an SCL emulator available online which is plug and play, but can you confirm If I just unplug the cable off the SCL module and use orbit to set it to SL02 , I should be able to start the car? I was quoted £600 by volvo garage to get the SCL module replaced (also cannot start the car as of now) . but if I can just disable the SCL it should work?  I have yet to buy the orbit software btw.. Thanks
Yes, after setting to SL02, it will start

(04-16-2024, 02:11 PM)volvos90 Wrote: HI, 
I have a UK Volvo S90 . My SCL module failed and car wont start . I see theres an SCL emulator available online which is plug and play, but can you confirm If I just unplug the cable off the SCL module and use orbit to set it to SL02 , I should be able to start the car? I was quoted £600 by volvo garage to get the SCL module replaced (also cannot start the car as of now) . but if I can just disable the SCL it should work?  I have yet to buy the orbit software btw.. Thanks
Damn Big Grin  Just replaced my SCL (for 180 Euros) oh well, hopefully this one won't break anytime soon.
(04-17-2024, 10:36 AM)Sodertalje Wrote: Damn Big Grin  Just replaced my SCL (for 180 Euros) oh well, hopefully this one won't break anytime soon.

The only hazard of disabling of SCL this way is - if the CEM will be updated by dealer, configuration will be returned back to original and in this case the car won't start without SCL Sad

And therefore better solution is to use SCL emulator...
(04-17-2024, 10:36 AM)Sodertalje Wrote: Damn Big Grin  Just replaced my SCL (for 180 Euros) oh well, hopefully this one won't break anytime soon.

Cheap!!

I got billed £800 by Volvo UK... after they had left my car stuck on my driveway for a week as they didn't have Volvo Assistance available to come rescue it - they have a virgin steering lock to plug in which allows 1 start and means you can drive the vehicle (if it's failed: off). 
The part itself has an extended warranty due to known issues... 5yrs vs the usual 2.
(04-17-2024, 01:05 PM)x119 Wrote:

Cheap!!

I got billed £800 by Volvo UK... after they had left my car stuck on my driveway for a week as they didn't have Volvo Assistance available to come rescue it - they have a virgin steering lock to plug in which allows 1 start and means you can drive the vehicle (if it's failed: off). 
The part itself has an extended warranty due to known issues... 5yrs vs the usual 2.

Did you proceed to to pay the 800? or did you just disable SCL through orbit?