Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading from HK to BW on s60 2019
I want to upgrade from harman to bowers. I started for now with speakers however, I'm using another brand of speakers as there are from DLS Sweden audio designed for my car S60 2019 R. Speakers are for to upgrade if you already have hk or bw speakers. Now I had the harman speakers wich I replaced wit DLS sweden speakers both front and backdoors. 

However my question is these speakers are rated 4ohms and bowers speakers are rated 8ohm. What will happen if I connect bw amplifier with these ? 

I ordered bw amplifier from my local dealer and also the bowers subwoofer as I'm not taking a chance on blowing my sub hehe

The question remains as of with https://dls.se/product/dls-cruise-crpp-vo2-64/ speaker which are rated 4 ohms what will happen if I where to do so?

Thanx in advance.
First of all,  I don't know for sure what is the minimum impedance of B&W (AUD).  B&W speakers might be 8 ohm but that does not mean the amplifier is minimum is 8 ohms. 
Ask your local dealer if they can provide you the data sheet or the amplifier specs. 

But in general.  You should not connect a speaker lower than the amplifiers minimum impedance but you can connect higher.  Meaning, you should not connect 4 ohm speaker to a amplifier rated minimum 6 or 8.  Speakers will overload the amplifier and on high volume it will burn the output channel(s). 
If the minimum is 4 ohms like HK amplifier, you can connect 6,8,16 ohm speakers. no problem 

So, if we assume that B&W (AUD) is minimum 6 or 8 ohms and you connect 4 ohm speakers, it will eventually overload the amplifier and burn it.  
If you really want B&W AUD, my advise use B&W speakers or find speakers with 8 ohm. 
Now, for the MID + HIGH is different story. They are in parallel so the total impedance calculation is not 4 + 4 =8 , it is 1/4 + 1/4 = 2 ohms total.  So, you must have higher ohm for tweeter and mid to reach 8 ohm in total.  Some tweeters and MID come with filters. You need to connect them in parallel and measure the total ohm. 

DO NOT LISTEN to id*t sellers. If the amplifier is 8 ohm and you connect  4 ohm speakers,  it will burn your amplifier little more than high way volume and sometimes it even burns less than half volume depending on the pre-amp (equalizer) settings and how the song is recorded.
(05-07-2024, 08:45 AM)IMAY2023 Wrote: First of all,  I don't know for sure what is the minimum impedance of B&W (AUD).  B&W speakers might be 8 ohm but that does not mean the amplifier is minimum is 8 ohms. 
Ask your local dealer if they can provide you the data sheet or the amplifier specs. 

But in general.  You should not connect a speaker lower than the amplifiers minimum impedance but you can connect higher.  Meaning, you should not connect 4 ohm speaker to a amplifier rated minimum 6 or 8.  Speakers will overload the amplifier and on high volume it will burn the output channel(s). 
If the minimum is 4 ohms like HK amplifier, you can connect 6,8,16 ohm speakers. no problem 

So, if we assume that B&W (AUD) is minimum 6 or 8 ohms and you connect 4 ohm speakers, it will eventually overload the amplifier and burn it.  
If you really want B&W AUD, my advise use B&W speakers or find speakers with 8 ohm. 
Now, for the MID + HIGH is different story. They are in parallel so the total impedance calculation is not 4 + 4 =8 , it is 1/4 + 1/4 = 2 ohms total.  So, you must have higher ohm for tweeter and mid to reach 8 ohm in total.  Some tweeters and MID come with filters. You need to connect them in parallel and measure the total ohm. 

DO NOT LISTEN to id*t sellers. If the amplifier is 8 ohm and you connect  4 ohm speakers,  it will burn your amplifier little more than high way volume and sometimes it even burns less than half volume depending on the pre-amp (equalizer) settings and how the song is recorded.

Check
Check
Check
And Check

I just can't thank you enough for the best answer ever. I have been dealing with this question for two weeks now and my head was about to explode hehe