Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP to HK Sound: Door Wires
I'm in the processing of converting the HP/base sound system on my 2018 V90 CC to the Harman Kardan system. I already used Orbit to enable the HK subwoofer I installed. And will use it again once I put in a HK amplifier. I've also already replaced all the HP speakers with their HK equivalents. And now I've gotten to the point where I need to add tweeters to the rear doors--which means adding new wiring. 

Does anybody know the part numbers for the connectors and pins I need to add to route the tweeter wire pair through the rear door boot and connectors? I'm trying to avoid going around or drilling a large hole in the connectors to route the wire through, in favor of an OEM connection by adding the necessary pins. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
It all depends on the donor car from which you are getting the AUD. 
If you get it from 90 series, you will need to wire the MIDs and Tweeters on the rear doors from the AUD to the speakers because tweeter + MID (in Parallel ) have secondary output channel (MID+high) on the AUD.  

If you get your AUD from a 60 series, then you just need to wire the tweeter and MID parallel to woofer inside the door. 

For the part numbers, 
it all depends on what you have right now. 
Usually, the harness on the trim panel already has the MID and tweeter connectors but the harness inside the door does not. 
Sometimes depending on the production week, the doors are pre-wired but you still need to wire from the AUD to the door connector. 

I upgraded my s60 from HK to BW of 90 series. So, I had to wire the MIDs + Highs per each door. 
I bought 1 used internal rear door harness and got the 4 little male pins from it.  From the AUD to the door harness connector. I could not find the part number for the pins or repair terminal. So, I pushed the wires directly into wholes and tied to the rest. It works and I never had issues. 

It's not high amp connection, just a speaker.
(04-11-2024, 05:26 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: It all depends on the donor car from which you are getting the AUD. 
If you get it from 90 series, you will need to wire the MIDs and Tweeters on the rear doors from the AUD to the speakers because tweeter + MID (in Parallel ) have secondary output channel (MID+high) on the AUD.  

If you get your AUD from a 60 series, then you just need to wire the tweeter and MID parallel to woofer inside the door. 

For the part numbers, 
Usually, the harness on the trim panel already has the MID and tweeter connectors but the harness inside the door does not. 
Sometimes depending on the production week, the doors are pre-wired but you still need to wire from the AUD to the door connector. 

I upgraded my s60 from HK to BW of 90 series. So, I had to wire the MIDs + Highs per each door. 
I bought 1 used internal rear door harness and got the 4 little male pins from it.  From the AUD to the door harness connector. I could not find the part number for the pins or repair terminal. So, I pushed the wires directly into wholes and tied to the rest. It works and I never had issues. 

Interesting! My V90 (MY2018) with the HP system came with just the woofers on the back door. But according to the wiring diagram, and counting the number of connections on the back of the AUD, the rear door woofers are wired in parallel with mid-range speakers mounted in the ceiling near the d pillars. My understanding is that these ceiling d pillar mids were then moved to the rear door in MY2019.

Best I can tell the difference in speaker count between the HP and HK systems in the V90 is they added the center channel, subwoofer, and then the rear doors have a tweeter, and the d pillars have midranges.

So I think I need to add the tweeters to the rear doors and then separate/un-parallel wire the rear door woofers and the d pillar mids since the HK AUD has separate connections for each. Does this sound right?
(04-11-2024, 10:59 PM)spacemanspiff Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 05:26 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote: It all depends on the donor car from which you are getting the AUD. 

For the part numbers, 

Interesting! My V90 (MY2018) with the HP system came with just the woofers on the back door. But according to the wiring diagram, and counting the number of connections on the back of the AUD, the rear door woofers are wired in parallel with mid-range speakers mounted in the ceiling near the d pillars. My understanding is that these ceiling d pillar mids were then moved to the rear door in MY2019.

Best I can tell the difference in speaker count between the HP and HK systems in the V90 is they added the center channel, subwoofer, and then the rear doors have a tweeter, and the d pillars have midranges.

So I think I need to add the tweeters to the rear doors and then separate/un-parallel wire the rear door woofers and the d pillar mids since the HK AUD has separate connections for each. Does this sound right?

I seems, V90 and S90 have different layout on the rear door speakers. S90 series have (Woofer,  MID + Tweeter) being MID and Tweeter in parallel.  
As I mentioned earlier,  the output channels of the AUD will depend on the donor car model. Don't get confused; the part number is same for all models. The difference is the configuration file inside the AUD which is uploaded during the reload process which must match to the installed software.  Which will dictate if you need rewiring or not.  Check the enclosed full wiring diagram for  S90 and V90.  Search for 7A External Amplifier, you will see different variants.

Attached Files
.zip   Wiring_Diagram_SV90.zip (Size: 3.11 MB / Downloads: 13)
(04-12-2024, 08:51 PM)IMAY2023 Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 10:59 PM)spacemanspiff Wrote:

For the part numbers, 

I seems, V90 and S90 have different layout on the rear door speakers. S90 series have (Woofer,  MID + Tweeter) being MID and Tweeter in parallel.  
As I mentioned earlier,  the output channels of the AUD will depend on the donor car model. Don't get confused; the part number is same for all models. The difference is the configuration file inside the AUD which is uploaded during the reload process which must match to the installed software.  Which will dictate if you need rewiring or not.  Check the enclosed full wiring diagram for  S90 and V90.  Search for 7A External Amplifier, you will see different variants.
Oo wow this has a ton of detail, thanks for sharing!

I'm trying to figure out a way to share a diagram I had created of the wiring and connectors, but I don't know how to insert/link images (and managed to accidentally delete my response post).

Anyway, my 2018 V90CC is a V543 per VIDA's variant report and I know I have the HP system, so if these diagrams apply to 2018s, the diagram on page 118, called "7A External Amplifier Audio 2, High Performance w/wo Subwoofer, V526, V54x or L541" is the right one. But if this is accurate, then I only have one wire pair going to the front doors, feeding the Tweeter, Mid, and Woofer. And then the rear door woofer and D pillar speakers have their own wire pairs. This doesn't make sense though based on all the other posts and writeups I've read about people going from HP to HK/BW. Plus I don't want it to be true because then it means I will have to add wires to the front doors as well as the rear doors if I put in an HK amp...sigh.

Also these diagrams seem to confirm my understanding that Volvo did not offer an HK system for the 2018 V90CC, just HP or BW.
I did not know that 2018 S/V 90 did not offer HK option.  Since you want to upgrade to HK,  you will need the enclosed diagram for the later models.  The wiring for HK and BW are the same for the same model from 2019 to 2023. But as I mentioned the amount of speakers (wiring) and AUD outputs are different between (90 and 60) series.   

In any case, you will need to rewire one way or another. So, I recommend upgrade to B&W AUD. 
There are some minor changes like the 3rd channels on each front door and second channel for dash speaker with B&W amp for MY24+.  So, get the amp from 2019 to 2023 if you decide to go with B&W.

Before you decide, just pull out the door trim and check what is your current wiring, and if you have the places for the MID range speakers on your trim panels. (you will need them if you upgrade the AUD regardless of the year and type).

Attached Files
.zip   SPA_2024.zip (Size: 4.14 MB / Downloads: 11)
Ok the HK AUD I'm looking at is from an XC60. So I won't need to run a new wire to the rear doors? Instead I need to get an XC60 door/trim harness that will connect all three speakers in parallel? That's a plus. But also weird that Volvo did it that way. 

Do you know if the HK AUD sends a full signal on the door channels, or is there an internal crossover? I noticed that all the speakers except the woofers have capacitors.
60 series, do not have MID range on the rear doors and the tweeter is connected in parallel to the woofer. and the channel is full range. In addition, you have 3 more channels (MID+ HIGH) on (center on dash, pillar / rear bench  L  & R).  This is same for both HK and BW. when it's 60 series.  

Inside the rear doors there are two harnesses. 1) Inside the door. 2) On the trim panel. 
The harness inside door, has the connector to car body.  Audio goes from the connector to the woofer directly which is mounted on the door. 
Then from the woofer's connector, there are two parallel wires goes to the grey connector, which connects the internal door harness to the door trim harness. 

As I mentioned earlier, some models have the tweeter pre-wired inside the doors depending on the production date.  The tweeter connector has a dead end connector to hold it.  In some cases, the harness inside the door is pre-wired but the harness on the trim panel is not. 
Just pull out the door trim and see if you have that in place.  
This is the PIN you will need on the trim panel harness connector incase you do not have it pre-wired.
I get some interesting faultcodes after i swapped to HK, i have 5 in total on the audio, 3 are not identified and 2 are "speaker 6 and 8 have an open circuit" all my speakers do make sound and i have no idea what speaker 6 and 8 are. I have connected the roofspeakers also.
V60 2020 
You need to give more details 
What are the exact DTC codes, 
The original AUD type of your V60 2020 and what is the donor car model / year from which you got the HK AUD?