Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right order of connecting
I'm using Orbit with the Amazon VOE adapter on a Intel-Macbook running Windows 10. The VOE cable is connected to the Macbook using the Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter.

Now I haven't been able to figure out the right sequence to get Orbit working from the start. It always takes me a couple of tries to connect / disconnect the VOE to the ODB port, restart the computer or unplugging the cable until Orbit (and Vdash) are able to make a connection.

If someone has winning sequence like turn on car, connect first to computer, start Orbit, then connect ODB etc i'd be really thankful.
What you do is figure out every possible order you can use to plug things in, then try them all.

Take notes of what works and what doesn’t.

Then, when you realize that there is no consistent pattern, you go on Amazon and purchase the second cheapest windows laptop you can find and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Mac piece here is an anomaly. This is more about how Windows recognises your network adapter - native / usb adapter - and then assigns the IP for the endpoint, the car. 

My usual procedure (using my Windows-fied Intel Mac) is to put the car into active mode - turn start knob and hold for approx. 2 seconds, connect plugged in adapter to OBD and then wait for 10 seconds or so. You should see the traffic lights flashing on your adapter which generally denotes success.