Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hands-free tailgate/trunk open
I have powered tailgate and back sensors, would it be possible to configure hands free tailgate open by leg movement in front of the bumper sensor?
Well, it's not that simple (plug and play) at least according to the diagrams. 

4/172 FOOT MOVEMENT DETECTION MODULE FMDM on the rear bumper and it has two sensors connected to it. 
You'll need power, ground, and LIN wires.  Now, your rear bumper harness can be prewired for foot sensor module but there is a harness connector on the passenger side. Or you can replace yours with the one has foot sensor. Search in ebay, there are many of those. 
That bumper connector on the car has the wires going to the CEM and other modules. That harness may not have the 3 wires for the foot sensor. 
Ground (B3 on the module BK/WH)  is easy, you can take it anywhere you want. 
Power (B2 on the module Red) goes to rear fuse box CF52 = PIN B29. 
LIN (B1 on the module WH/GN) goes to CEM   PIN FL42.  The good news is that it is the same LIN with 4/221 BATTERY MONITORING SENSOR BMS you can tab to that LIN wire.
Thank you for going extra mile to pull this info, but my question was more oriented to the OrBit configuration.

Like is there config option for this in OrBit that I could change and test if it will work, as I have Inscription package and it could be that module and wiring is already there, like it was case for ACC/PA.

Volvo XC60 2020 (mild-hybrid) diesel.
Well, it's bit different. Because ACC/PA is a peace of software inside the BSM.  VOLVO officially replaces the Hydraulic unit for ACC/PA upgrade but still; it uses the same software. Orbit just enables (activates) what is already there.  

The foot sensor has it's own control unit. If you activate it without having the actual sensor, CEM will register DTCs. Same as activating the  pedal shifters without having them.
Found it in the OrBit configs:

HANDSFREE OPENER, BOOTLID/TAILGATE

Without foot movement detection module
Foot movement detection module
Foot movement detection module (accessory)
Foot movement detection module Gen2
Foot movement detection module Gen2 (accessory)

I will test it soon.
I tried these options:

"Foot movement detection module"

and

"Foot movement detection module Gen2"

Both didn't work. 

Is there someone with Volvo XC60 2019/20 to check what settings they have?

Or even better is there way to tell if this foot movement detection module is installed by using OrBit or taking look at the car?
(03-24-2024, 01:32 PM)vcorusa Wrote: I tried these options:

"Foot movement detection module"

and

"Foot movement detection module Gen2"

Both didn't work. 

Is there someone with Volvo XC60 2019/20 to check what settings they have?

Or even better is there way to tell if this foot movement detection module is installed by using OrBit or taking look at the car?

Not sure how to check, but here's what I've found:

2019 XC90 & 2020 XC60 with Sensus
Foot movement detection module

2024 XC90 (Loaner with AAOS)
Foot movement detection module Gen2

2019 XC90 T6 R-Design
Passion Red
4C, Advanced, B&W, CF Inlays, Heated Steering Wheel/Rear, Polestar, 20s

2020 XC60 T5 Momentum
Bright Silver Metal
Advanced, HK, Multimedia, Premium, Heated Steering Wheel, 20s
Most likely you don't have the module under the rear bumper. VOLVO does not connect modules without configuration.  If you connect a module without proper configuration, you will get DTC, from the main ECU to whatever it's connected. 
For example, I added factory heated and cooled rear sets and connected it to climate control.  Before I enabled the rear heated / cooled seats, I got DTC from CCM "Un excepted massage from heating module." 
So, before playing around with the configuration, check out your rear bumper if you actually have the foot sensor module at the first place.
I'm not 100% sure for what to look for, is module just directly exposed under the bumper, all I see is this

(03-29-2024, 10:42 PM)vcorusa Wrote: I'm not 100% sure for what to look for, is module just directly exposed under the bumper, all I see is this

This is how it looks like from inside. There is a whole there, you can put your hand inside and feel the cables. or take a picture to see

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)