Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you need a HUD for distance alert?
Or is it displayed somewhere else?
You need HUD as far as I know. It is sort of a useless feature and I have it turned off in my car.
(03-06-2024, 01:56 PM)Sodertalje Wrote: Or is it displayed somewhere else?

Typically if you don’t have the HUD you may have a series of lights at the bottom of your windshield that it uses for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03-07-2024, 01:41 AM)Partridge Wrote:

Typically if you don’t have the HUD you may have a series of lights at the bottom of your windshield that it uses for that.

I know, the P3 series had them but I haven't seen them in SPA vehicles. Well, let's retrofit the HUD Big Grin
(03-07-2024, 07:20 AM)Sodertalje Wrote:

I know, the P3 series had them but I haven't seen them in SPA vehicles. Well, let's retrofit the HUD Big Grin

I explored the option actually. The wiring is very simple. (power, ground, LIN to SWM and direct connection cable to DIM) and it's possible to find HUD from $175 USD but in order to install the whole dashboard must come out.  You can replace the dashboard with the HUD whole or you can also cut out the dash.
(03-07-2024, 07:20 AM)Sodertalje Wrote:

Depends on the market I guess.

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/dista...rt.580505/

2 things.
1. HUD requires special windshield with some sort of special coating I believe.

2. I think there is confusion between distance alert and automatic emergency braking /crash alerts. Distance alert, only available with HUD is a warning that your speed is too aggressive vs AEB warning which is an alert that you are likly toncrash if you dony slam on the brakes. P3 cars had dash leds for AEB, but SPA will just beep and show something on dash. The distance warning is only on HUD and I have mine turned off. Its useless.
(03-08-2024, 01:31 AM)glennda5id Wrote: 2 things.

2. I think there is confusion between distance alert and automatic emergency braking /crash alerts. Distance alert, only available with HUD is a warning that your speed is too aggressive vs AEB warning which is an alert that you are likly toncrash if you dony slam on the brakes. P3 cars had dash leds for AEB, but SPA will just beep and show something on dash. The distance warning is only on HUD and I have mine turned off. Its useless.

Depends on the market and configuration. This is from an SPA xc90 manual. Some cars still had the same style lights reflecting onto the windshield like the P3’s.

[Image: 5840091ae8789e551c4340effd9053b6.jpg]

Here’s an image of the light panel from the outside. (Non-HUD equipped car)

[Image: fb7ae71593351be57fc7e224dcaaa020.jpg]

(03-08-2024, 01:31 AM)glennda5id Wrote: 2 things.

2 things.
This is a myth. There is no special  windshield especially for HUD unless if it's a heated windshield.  The heated  windshield has variants with or without HUD.  Variant with HUD one has a certain non-hetaed area with a special layer filter where HUD projects.
Had my screen replaced - it was HUD specific. 

I don't have a heated screen... ??‍♂️